1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '09 06:58
    Originally posted by StTito
    The mayan calender says 2012 is the end of this worlds "cycle" no specific month or day that I'm aware of.
    Wel, I googled a bit and found several passages that says 21st of december 2012, but none that said that the date is not important.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_doomsday_prediction that says:
    "The 2012 doomsday prediction is a present-day cultural meme proposing that cataclysmic and apocalyptic events will occur in the year 2012. The forecast is based primarily on what is claimed to be the end-date of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, which is presented as lasting 5,125 years and as terminating on December 21 or 23, 2012, along with interpretations of assorted legends, scriptures, numerological constructions and prophecies."

But still i will enjoy the 22nd of december 2012 to be a very pleasant day, when all the dooms day predictors are gone.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    15 Aug '09 08:56
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Wel, I googled a bit and found several passages that says 21st of december 2012, but none that said that the date is not important.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_doomsday_prediction that says:
    "The 2012 doomsday prediction is a present-day cultural meme proposing that cataclysmic and apocalyptic events will occur in the year 2012. The forecast ...[text shortened]... e 22nd of december 2012 to be a very pleasant day, when all the dooms day predictors are gone.
    They will never be gone, I'm sure they'll come up with a new theory.

I also had quite a good laugh when there where these christian groups who had praying sessions on the 6th of June, 2006 to try and stop the devil.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Aug '09 13:28
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They will never be gone, I'm sure they'll come up with a new theory.

I also had quite a good laugh when there where these christian groups who had praying sessions on the 6th of June, 2006 to try and stop the devil.
    What was the alleged significance of that date? I am pretty sure it came and went without a catastrophe, maybe it's just me though...🙂
  4. Germany
    Moves
    15 Aug '09 13:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What was the alleged significance of that date? I am pretty sure it came and went without a catastrophe, maybe it's just me though...🙂
    06/06/06
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 10:01
    Originally posted by RAEOS
    There is much speculation as to what the significance will be of the coming alignment between the centre of the Milky Way, the Earth and the Sun.

It is thought the polarity of our planet will be reversed as it crosses the magnetic alignment between these two astral bodies, bringing about catastrophic tidal phenomena and tectonic shifts.

The timing of thi ...[text shortened]... of the responsibility for the vast white elephant the Olympic Village will have by then become.
    I seem to remember a bunch of nerds telling us the world was going to end with the "millenium bug" on 1st Jan 2000....or was it 2001?
  6. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 20:40
    This site is interesting: http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 05:44
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I haven't noticed any hype, but I'll take your word for it that the hype exists. Asd for the bit about what "would" be created and how long it "would" exist, I'll withhold the same acceptance as fact on those comments for now. Fortunately for you, if you happen to be wrong, there won't be time for anyone to say "Hey, sonhouse!! You sure blew TAT one!!!!" 😉😀
    Since this is the science forum: You state that if Sonhouse is wrong and a miniature black hole does not evaporate then there wont be time to say anything. Are you basing that claim on a belief that the earth will be instantaneously swallowed by the black hole? Do you have any reason for that belief? I am certainly not aware of any scientific reasons for that to be the case.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree