Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 10 Aug '09 00:09
    There is much speculation as to what the significance will be of the coming alignment between the centre of the Milky Way, the Earth and the Sun.

    It is thought the polarity of our planet will be reversed as it crosses the magnetic alignment between these two astral bodies, bringing about catastrophic tidal phenomena and tectonic shifts.

    The timing of this event is in fact extremely fortunate as it takes place just after the 2012 London Olympics, thereby relieving Londoners of the responsibility for the vast white elephant the Olympic Village will have by then become.
  2. 10 Aug '09 01:28
    Originally posted by RAEOS
    There is much speculation as to what the significance will be of the coming alignment between the centre of the Milky Way, the Earth and the Sun.

    It is thought the polarity of our planet will be reversed as it crosses the magnetic alignment between these two astral bodies, bringing about catastrophic tidal phenomena and tectonic shifts.

    The timing of thi ...[text shortened]... of the responsibility for the vast white elephant the Olympic Village will have by then become.
    I don't think it will do anything. We are so close to the plane now that we will still be close to it after passing through it. The polarity change is interesting as we know it has happend on earth neumerous times in the past. Did it ever coincide with the crossing of the galactic plane before? If it does cause catastrophy, and it is unavoidable, what a sight to see eh? I hope it doesn't.
  3. 10 Aug '09 03:39
    Originally posted by RAEOS
    There is much speculation as to what the significance will be of the coming alignment between the centre of the Milky Way, the Earth and the Sun.

    It is thought the polarity of our planet will be reversed as it crosses the magnetic alignment between these two astral bodies, bringing about catastrophic tidal phenomena and tectonic shifts.

    The timing of thi ...[text shortened]... of the responsibility for the vast white elephant the Olympic Village will have by then become.
    People speculate all the time about catastrofic events at specific dates. The end of the world, the apocalyps, the doomsday... And all of this is prophecies of religious origins.

    The fact that this will happen on a very specific date shows clearly that the foretellers has not a hint of anything, least of all science.

    Let's all have a big laugh the december 22nd 2012.
  4. 10 Aug '09 04:01
    Actually, this one is a prophecy of late night History Channel origin. No religions were even close to that specific.
  5. 10 Aug '09 04:30
    Originally posted by Frogspondence
    Actually, this one is a prophecy of late night History Channel origin. No religions were even close to that specific.
    It is very similar to religious prophecies anyway. There is no much science to conlude that an exact date, such as this, cannot be of scientific origin. Even religious prophecies use science in disguise.

    Nostradamists use this date to foretell the end of the world (as we know it).

    This prophecy is very much alike the May 5th 2000, when Earth would have catastrophic seismic activities, due to planetary alignement, and some religious groups used the date to convince people to give their life to Jesus or their money to some reverends.

    Who will join me in the great laughter the 22 of december 2012?
  6. 11 Aug '09 11:12
    I'm laughing already.
  7. 11 Aug '09 16:41
    Oh I'll be laughing, but I'm pretty sure Nostradamus never said anything about 12/21/2012. Not that it would matter if he did, but I'm fairly certain that is something that has been made up after the fact.
  8. 11 Aug '09 19:24 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Frogspondence
    Oh I'll be laughing, but I'm pretty sure Nostradamus never said anything about 12/21/2012. Not that it would matter if he did, but I'm fairly certain that is something that has been made up after the fact.
    Exactly. The prophecies of Nostradamos and those found in the bible is mostly non-specific, so you can interprete them in almost every possible way.

    If you formulate a prophecy in a very specific way, then the prophecy will never happen.
    If you interprete a prophecy so you know exactly what will happen a certain day, it will never happen.

    Numerous times has the ultimate disaster been read in in a prophecy, but never yet has it been true. 5th may 2000 didn't happen. Neither will anything of the kind happen 21st december 2012.
  9. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    11 Aug '09 22:28
    The significance of the date stems from the Mayan calendar, I believe -- which has (had) intricate cycles within cycles, and reaches the end of its current "primary" cycle on 12/21/2012.

    The world was supposed to end on 01/01/2000...
    Then 05/05/2000...
    Then 01/01/2001...
    And some other dates that escape me.

    Eventually they'll be right. Probably in a few billion years.
  10. 12 Aug '09 07:20
    Originally posted by Frogspondence
    Oh I'll be laughing, but I'm pretty sure Nostradamus never said anything about 12/21/2012. Not that it would matter if he did, but I'm fairly certain that is something that has been made up after the fact.
    Unleeeess, Nostradamus were a brilliant scientist whom understood this whole reversing polarities
    things around 2012 and knew the disaster would come and call it the end of the world because he
    failed to realise that our technology by then would be so advanced that a large portion of humanity
    can survive it. HA!
  11. 12 Aug '09 19:21
    Maybe 12/21/2012 will be the day CERN finally isolates that Higgs-boson thingy and creates an infinitessemally small black hole...
  12. 12 Aug '09 19:44
    When they make a small black hole, physicists and anyone who wants to know more about how exactly the universe works will be very happy. Sadly it will disappear within a fraction of a second.
  13. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Aug '09 00:30
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Maybe 12/21/2012 will be the day CERN finally isolates that Higgs-boson thingy and creates an infinitessemally small black hole...
    I never understood why there was so much hype about the OMG BLACK HOLE being made, especially since the lifetime of black holes are directly related to it's mass, long lived ones are fat and ugly! Even if they do make one at CERN, it would be such low mass as to want to disappear in less than a nanosecond, the net result of that being a shower of sub-atomic particles that will be duly recorded by all the fantastic instrumentation on the Hadron machine.
  14. 14 Aug '09 19:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I never understood why there was so much hype about the OMG BLACK HOLE being made, especially since the lifetime of black holes are directly related to it's mass, long lived ones are fat and ugly! Even if they do make one at CERN, it would be such low mass as to want to disappear in less than a nanosecond, the net result of that being a shower of sub-atomic ...[text shortened]... articles that will be duly recorded by all the fantastic instrumentation on the Hadron machine.
    I haven't noticed any hype, but I'll take your word for it that the hype exists. Asd for the bit about what "would" be created and how long it "would" exist, I'll withhold the same acceptance as fact on those comments for now. Fortunately for you, if you happen to be wrong, there won't be time for anyone to say "Hey, sonhouse!! You sure blew TAT one!!!!"
  15. Standard member StTito
    The Mullverine
    14 Aug '09 20:51
    The mayan calender says 2012 is the end of this worlds "cycle" no specific month or day that I'm aware of.