1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 11:031 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    You thought electric cars reduced CO2 even though coal is burned to generate that electricity.
    You are quite correct, I do think that. The reason you are stupid to point this out is that I think that because it's true.

From the link I gave previously...

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html#part3

But there’s one myth which has been more effective and more pervasive than any of these—the long tailpipe theory.

The long tailpipe theory is everywhere. Anyone who doesn’t like EVs points it out immediately. So what’s the theory? I’ll let Fox News’ Greg Gutfeld do the honors:

“The entire reason for doing these stupid little cars is a lie because electricity comes from coal. In some cases, some studies show that these can produce more pollution than internal combustion engines.”

Upon first examination, this makes sense. Let’s bring back our US emissions chart to see what Greg means:

http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/US-Emissions-2013-2.png

Earlier in the post, we identified the two biggest causes of CO2 emissions: cars running on gas and coal making electricity. The long tailpipe theory’s logic is that all an EV does is shift energy production from the first bad category to the second bad category. Since coal is the most prominent source of electricity in the world, and coal emits about 1.5 times more carbon per joule of energy produced, EVs are actually worse emissions culprits than gas cars.

When you read about EVs or talk to people about them, you’ll hear this theory come up again and again and again and again.

The thing you’ll notice, though, is that every time you hear someone all mad about the long tailpipe emissions of EVs, they’re using wording like, “may be” and “often” and, in the case of Greg, “in some cases, some studies show.” That’s because you have to use words like that when you’re saying things that you wish were true but actually aren’t.

Taking the US as an example, here’s why they’re wrong:

1) US electricity production is mixed, not just coal. Coal only makes up 39% of US electricity production. And that number’s going down:

http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-4.56.42-PM.png

Natural gas, which emits less than half the CO2 of coal, now makes up over a quarter of US electricity production. Nuclear and renewables emit almost no CO2 and now produce a third of US electricity.

2) Energy production is more efficient in a power plant than it is in a car engine. To use an example with an identical source fuel, burning natural gas in a power plant is about 60% efficient, meaning 40% of the energy of the fuel is lost in the energy production process. In a car, burning gas is less than 25% efficient, with the vast majority of the energy lost to heat. The larger more complex system at a power plant will always be far better at capturing waste heat than a tiny car engine. The increased efficiency means that even a car running purely on coal-generated electricity will emit carbon at the same rate as a gas car that gets 30 miles per gallon—which would be a significantly cleaner-than-average gas car.

Because the breakdown of energy source is different in different states, an EV will be greener in some places than others. The US Department of Energy has a great tool to assess exactly how an EV stacks up against a gas car in any zip code in the country.

In the parts of the country that use very little coal, like upstate New York, an EV’s well-to-wheel emissions are far less than that of a gas car (on the chart, HEV = a traditional hybrid car, PHEV = a plug-in hybrid car):

http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-6.05.59-PM.png

In the heaviest coal states, like Colorado, EVs cause a lot more CO2 emissions—but still less than a gas car:

http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-6.04.39-PM.png

The national average is somewhere in between, putting an EV at 61% of a gas car’s emissions overall:

http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-6.06.20-PM.png

The Union of Concerned Scientists came up with a way to directly compare car emissions, regardless of the type of car it is—a metric called “miles per gallon equivalent,” or MPGghg (ghg stands for greenhouse gases).

MPGghg is how many miles per gallon a gas car would need to achieve in order to match the carbon emissions of an EV (in the EV’s case, the emissions come from the plant that makes the electricity). In other words, if an EV gets 40 MPGghg, it means it emits the exact same amount of carbon as a gas car that gets 40 MPG.

The average new gas car gets 23 MPG. Anything above 30 MPG is really good for a gas car, and anything below 15 or 17 is bad. For reference, remember that an EV running on just coal would have an MPGghg of 30 (so even in a hypothetical entirely coal-powered state, an EV would be the same as a highly efficient gas car), and an EV running on just natural gas-powered electricity would have an MPGghg of 54 and just top the Toyota Prius, which runs at 50 MPG.

Here’s a useful map that shows the kind of MPGghg EVs get in different parts of the US:

http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/MPG-Map.jpg

So even for the 17% of the population living in the worst coal states, an EV beats almost all gas cars. This sums it up:

http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-4.52.33-PM.png

And the thing is, each year, that already-nicely-positioned blue bar will make a little jump to the right. Because the grid is getting cleaner every year, it means an EV gets cleaner as time goes by. Gas cars are locked where they are, and they’ll be stuck watching as the future pulls away from them.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 11:32
    Originally posted by humy
    Is there something there in that statement that confuses you or you fail to comprehend?

Because of the high costs of building a supergrid, a supergrid would almost inevitably be a pretty long term investment i.e. designed and built to pay for itself only in the long run. In fact, I would intuitively guess it is so long term that it wouldn't be built for our ...[text shortened]... t but built for the benefit for our children's future.
    -Does that mean you will be against it?
    You are wrong. The cost is too great and the cost of renewables is even greater. Saying it would pay for itself does not make it true. Once again, what is your source of information?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 11:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually here in Africa there is still lots of potential for more hydroelectric power.
    I don't know much about Poland, but I would guess that a similar mix to Germany would probably work well.
    Hydroelectric has environmental consequences. You must weigh the negative potential as well. Do you have a source of information that does that?

South Africa has a high amount of coal burning to generate electricity doesn't it? Maybe you should work on your own country before lecturing the world.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 11:49
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You are quite correct, I do think that. The reason you are stupid to point this out is that I think that because it's true.

From the link I gave previously...

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html#part3

But there’s one myth which has been more effective and more pervasive than any of these—the long tailpipe th ...[text shortened]... d where they are, and they’ll be stuck watching as the future pulls away from them.
    [/b]
    Natural gas cars make more sense as I have pointed out long ago on the debates forum. Coal is heaviest carbon fossil fuel and it also creates acid rain. Making the point that more natural gas is being used to generate electricity only makes natural gas cars the better option. They fuel up faster than EVs and have a longer range for the cost.

Summary: You are still wrong.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 11:531 edit
    http://www.sciencealert.com/denmark-just-generated-140-of-its-electricity-demand-from-wind-power

proof, if only any was needed, that producing 100% of electricity from renewables is feasible.
    That 140% is on one windy day. The average is 28% according to Denmark's website.

http://denmark.dk/en/green-living/wind-energy/

Not proof at all!
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 13:511 edit
    That 140% is on one windy day. The average is 28% according to Denmark's website.

http://denmark.dk/en/green-living/wind-energy/

Not proof at all!
    can't you read? I never said/implied we can go all renewable with wind alone. I said renewables, NOT wind. What barrier is there stopping wind being combined with OTHER renewables?

With a supergrid and greater exploitation of renewables ( which, OBVIOUSLY, wouldn't only involve wind ) and possibly some off-the-grid energy storage ( although that part may be avoidable ), going 100% renewable will be perfectly feasible.
    No intelligence whatsoever needed to see this is the case and yet you don't; we all know why.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 13:581 edit
    that is without a supergrid nor off-the-grid energy storage nor greater exploitation of renewables which don't only involve wind; all three are feasible and perfectly feasible to go 100% renewable with all three. No intelligence whatsoever needed to see this is the case and yet you don't; we all know why.
    Germany has a superior grid and their renewable capacity is about the same as Denmark. You need more intelligence.

http://energytransition.de/2015/02/how-germany-integrates-renewable-energy/
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 14:0511 edits
    [b]Germany has a superior grid
    I was referring to an international supergrid (as I clearly said in my other post ) else it wouldn't be nearly so effective.
    + they are far from fully developing it thus it is currently pretty much irrelevant to that issue.
    + there wouldn't be much point to having a supergrid without going either almost or totally renewable; the two needs to be combined together for maximum effectiveness for reduce/illuminate the need for off-the-grid storage to guarantee 100% continuous supply of demand with 100% renewables.
    + I OBVIOUSLY never said/implied/thought that the mere existence of a supergrid would automatically mean more renewables; the renewables will still have to be developed separately (although the supergrid will make it economically easier because it will reduce/illuminate the need for off-the-grid storage to guarantee 100% continuous supply of demand ).

-there is just so many things stupid about your statement.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 14:28
    I was referring to an international supergrid (as I clearly said in my other post ) else it wouldn't be nearly so effective.
    + they are far from fully developing it thus it is currently pretty much irrelevant to that issue.
    + there wouldn't be much point to having a supergrid without going either almost or totally renewable; the two needs to be combine ...[text shortened]... 00% continuous supply of demand ).

-there is just so many things stupid about your statement.
    Your use of the word "international" is irrelevant. International implies a world wide cooperation which is unrealistic.
    A supergrid is a supergrid. A better grid is closer to a supergrid.

How much are the estimates to building a supergrid in one given nation? What is your source of information? You are avoiding that question I already asked. I don't think you know what you are talking about....as usual.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 14:43
    Hydroelectric has environmental consequences.
    I am well aware of that. They can be positive an negative though.

You must weigh the negative potential as well.
    I agree.

Do you have a source of information that does that?
    No.

South Africa has a high amount of coal burning to generate electricity doesn't it? Maybe you should work on your own country before lecturing the world.
    I am actually not South African. And yes, South Africa burns a lot of coal. And no, I don't have to work on my own country before lecturing the world.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 16:3415 edits
    International implies a world wide cooperation which is unrealistic.
    Firstly, by "international", I implied 'many' countries, not 'all' counties. This is because not all countries would have to have it for a supergrid to have sufficient desired effect (by "sufficient desired effect" I mean cut out most of the need for off-the-grid energy storage and still guarantee supply always meets demand if the counties that have the supergrid go all renewable ). Although the more counties have it, the better the effect, if just half of the counties have it and exploit it by going all renewable, there will be more than sufficient long tern economical reward for having such a supergrid as to make them have good reason to believe it's well worth it.
    In fact, you could have just two adjacent counties doing it (have both supergrid and all renewables ) and they could significantly benefit each other by having it and sharing the same grid even if the rest of the world idiotically always stupidly rejects it and misses out on its long term economical benefits as a result.

secondly, since an international supergrid would be to every county's mutual economic benefit in the long run, why would a world wide cooperation for a supergrid be unrealistic?
    How would you know this? I am well aware of the general incredible stupidity of politicians and governments but I think there must surely be limits to even that stupidity (unless they are all exactly like you in which case we are all doomed ).
    It would be a matter of making governments think of the more long term consequences of the supergrid and not every country will need to have it for the supergrid to work; those countries that don't think about the long term might reject it as a result but only to later find they massively economically loose out to those countries that have it and then they will wish they were not so incredibly stupid as to reject it earlier and then I guess they will likely reverse their decision and accept it and have it.

Have you got something against an international supergrid?
    If so, were you against it before I ever mentioned it and why so?
    Are you now against an international supergrid purely because I informed you how it could help us go all renewable with greater economical benefits?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 18:12
    Firstly, by "international", I implied 'many' countries, not 'all' counties. This is because not all countries would have to have it for a supergrid to have sufficient desired effect (by "sufficient desired effect" I mean cut out most of the need for off-the-grid energy storage and still guarantee supply always meets demand if the counties that have the supergr ...[text shortened]... y because I informed you how it could help us go all renewable with greater economical benefits?
    I live in the USA The United States of America. It says "united" for a reason. States have some degree of independence but if congress (on the national level) had the votes to do it we would have it. Your international suggestion is probably because you live in Europe and countries there are the size of states here. We Americans don't need to go international, but we don't have it and nobody is planning it that I'm aware of. As united as we are don't you think we would have it if it was fiscally responsible?
    You really should ease up on the insulting stuff. There is no reason to resort to that. It only encourages retaliation. Don't you want to keep this civilized?
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 19:486 edits
    IAs united as we are don't you think we would have it if it was fiscally responsible?

Since when have the USA been guaranteed to be completely fiscally responsible and how so?
    Have you got a special reason to think that the USA government must always be completely fiscally responsible?
    If so, tell us please...

Was the USA government fiscally responsible with Ronald Reagan's massive spending on the strategic defense initiative (star wars crap ) ?
    Perhaps that explains part of the reason why the USA doesn't have a USA-wide supergrid i.e. the USA is NOT completely fiscally responsible (plus short-termism could also partly explain it )

You really should ease up on the insulting stuff.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 22:57
    Since when have the USA been guaranteed to be completely fiscally responsible and how so?
    Have you got a special reason to think that the USA government must always be completely fiscally responsible?
    If so, tell us please...

Was the USA government fiscally responsible with Ronald Reagan's massive spending on the strategic defense initiative (star wars cr ...[text shortened]... d ease up on the insulting stuff. [/quote]
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite
    You are suggesting wasting money. That is all I meant.

The USA going into debt is just what countries tend to do, yours included. It is how entire populations are put into economic slavery. It is by design for the most part. It is how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer these days.
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 06:31
    You are suggesting wasting money. .
    Nope

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree