1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 14:52
    https://phys.org/news/2017-08-synthetic-genomics-unveils-digital-to-biological-digital.html

This really opens up possibilities, the usual double edges sword.

You could see for instance, in the far future, an interstellar probe unmanned but the DNA is printed hundreds of years later when it gets to its destination, then working out the cells needed to start reproduction of humanity, where the first gen is born and taught by IA and later generations take over the human part. Just one thought how this can be used.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 07:501 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    https://phys.org/news/2017-08-synthetic-genomics-unveils-digital-to-biological-digital.html

You could see for instance, in the far future, an interstellar probe unmanned but the DNA is printed hundreds of years later when it gets to its destination, then working out the cells needed t ...[text shortened]... ght by IA and later generations take over the human part. Just one thought how this can be used.
    Is this the beginning of the life of Earth?
    Just checking...
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 20:47
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    Is this the beginning of the life of Earth?
    Just checking...
    It takes more than just DNA to make life of course but maybe next there will be a digital to human egg printer too and a digital to sperm printer, THEN we will definitely be in trouble🙂
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 21:59

You could see for instance, in the far future, an interstellar probe unmanned but the DNA is printed hundreds of years later when it gets to its destination, then working out the cells needed t ...[text shortened]... ght by IA and later generations take over the human part. Just one thought how this can be used.
    Wouldn't you also have to transport all of the raw materials (i.e. nucleotides, amino acids, lipids etc.) in order to synthesize the cell in situ? For the application of transporting life forms across the universe, it'd be easier just to transport seeds and (frozen) fertilized eggs, right?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 04:31
    It takes more than just DNA to make life of course but maybe next there will be a digital to human egg printer too and a digital to sperm printer, THEN we will definitely be in trouble🙂
    If someone wants to invade us here on Earth, that would be a good idea, given necessary time. Is the HIV-virus given us from space, destroying all intelligent life, and growing a full scale ET civilization using HIV as a base? No, I don't think so.

I was merely thinking on the starting life on Earth, coming from spores from space, deliberately given to us from anyone else?
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 13:11
    If someone wants to invade us here on Earth, that would be a good idea, given necessary time. Is the HIV-virus given us from space, destroying all intelligent life, and growing a full scale ET civilization using HIV as a base? No, I don't think so.

I was merely thinking on the starting life on Earth, coming from spores from space, deliberately given to us from anyone else?
    If shielded against solar UV, spores of B. subtilis were capable of surviving in space for up to 6 years, especially if embedded in clay or meteorite powder (artificial meteorites). The data support the likelihood of interplanetary transfer of microorganisms within meteorites, the so-called lithopanspermia hypothesis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2832349/
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 13:20
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    If shielded against solar UV, spores of B. subtilis were capable of surviving in space for up to 6 years, especially if embedded in clay or meteorite powder (artificial meteorites). The data support the likelihood of interplanetary transfer of microorganisms within meteorites, the so-called lithopanspermia hypothesis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2832349/
    Do you reference extraterrestrial spores?
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 15:19
    Do you reference extraterrestrial spores?
    That depends on whether extraterrestrial is simply "outside earth" or "from outside earth".

There is no evidence to support extraterrestrial origins of life. The referenced review article only highlights the inherent capability of earthly spores and bacteria to survive in space for many years. In fact, some of them thrive in simulated space conditions as long as they are protected from solar radiation. Obviously in order to prove the origins bit, you'd have to demonstrate that where spores came from was not earth. That's a big, perhaps insurmountable hurdle from an evidence standpoint. If we found carbon-based life on Mars right now, how would you go about determining if we seeded it, or if it seeded us? ( If it arose de novo it'd probably be easier to tell). I think lithopanspermia hypotheses are indifferent, and it may be impossible to prove either way.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 16:31

Yay!

What could possible go wrong?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 19:05
    That depends on whether extraterrestrial is simply "outside earth" or "from outside earth".

There is no evidence to support extraterrestrial origins of life. The referenced review article only highlights the inherent capability of earthly spores and bacteria to survive in space for many years. In fact, some of them thrive in simulated space cond ...[text shortened]... think lithopanspermia hypotheses are indifferent, and it may be impossible to prove either way.
    I'm not into earthly spores. That is no news.

I refer to the OP. Not seeding other worlds, but others seeding ours. Just speculating, nothing more.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 19:15

I refer to the OP. Not seeding other worlds, but others seeding ours. Just speculating, nothing more.
    Earth could have seeded other worlds if there was one able to use such seeds, like Mars a couple billion years ago but right now even if there is spoor or bacteria floating around from Earth there is no place in the inner system that would be able to take advantage of such seeds of life.
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 20:32

The OP refers to a digital to DNA printer that could "print" a genome in situ, but requires a printer and all the necessary components of life to be transported through space. I was questioning the application of this printer for this purpose, since life can survive in space.

Also, just speculating, but isn't it interesting that some earthly spores seem very well adapted to space travel? Almost as if they've been there before.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 21:05
    The OP refers to a digital to DNA printer that could "print" a genome in situ, but requires a printer and all the necessary components of life to be transported through space. I was questioning the application of this printer for this purpose, since life can survive in space.

Also, just speculating, but isn't it interesting that some earthly spores seem very well adapted to space travel? Almost as if they've been there before.
    Tartigrades can survive in space in vacuum in high temps totally dried out, comes back to life when put in water and rehydrated.
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 21:36
    Tartigrades can survive in space in vacuum in high temps totally dried out, comes back to life when put in water and rehydrated.
    Holy moly. I have heard about tardigrades before, but I wasn't exactly up to date on their impressive stats. They're basically indestructible.

...tardigrades can withstand temperatures down to 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) (close to absolute zero) while others can withstand 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C)[12] for several minutes, pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for more than 30 years....
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '17 13:02
    Holy moly. I have heard about tardigrades before, but I wasn't exactly up to date on their impressive stats. They're basically indestructible.

...tardigrades can withstand temperatures down to 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) (close to absolute zero) while others can withstand 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C)[12] for several minutes, pressures about six times great ...[text shortened]... the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for more than 30 years....
    Other than that they are pretty vulnerable, eh. I wonder what happens that would allow them to revive from being at one degree Kelvin but not 1/2 degree K or some such. What happens on an atomic or molecular level that changes the rules to actually kill them at say 1/10th degree K, V 1 degree K?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree