Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 25 Sep '13 11:11
    http://phys.org/news/2013-09-duo-instance-non-human-primates.html

    I wonder what they were saying when they were whispering to each other? The researchers don't know.
    Maybe, “WOW! aren’t those humans ugly!”?
  2. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    25 Sep '13 21:19
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2013-09-duo-instance-non-human-primates.html

    I wonder what they were saying when they were whispering to each other? The researchers don't know.
    Maybe, “WOW! aren’t those humans ugly!”?
    Can't you guys see that this is just more evidence that evilution is false?

    The Instructor
  3. 25 Sep '13 23:06
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2013-09-duo-instance-non-human-primates.html

    I wonder what they were saying when they were whispering to each other? The researchers don't know.
    Maybe, “WOW! aren’t those humans ugly!”?
    I'm slightly intrigued by what dolphins will say to humans when we learn to talk with them. The BBC TV documentary Ocean Giants showed a marine biologist speculating that we will be able to talk to dolphins within 5 years. As a fan of Douglas Adams since childhood the prospect has a special resonance for me. Fascinating that these primates whisper. Is their 'conversational-volume language', so to speak, understood by the scientists involved?
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    26 Sep '13 00:37
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I'm slightly intrigued by what dolphins will say to humans when we learn to talk with them. The BBC TV documentary Ocean Giants showed a marine biologist speculating that we will be able to talk to dolphins within 5 years. As a fan of Douglas Adams since childhood the prospect has a special resonance for me. Fascinating that these primates whisper. Is their 'conversational-volume language', so to speak, understood by the scientists involved?
    When primates whisper, they have to be giving what they hope is secret messages, a much higher level of communications than simply hooting the danger call.
  5. 26 Sep '13 00:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    When primates whisper, they have to be giving what they hope is secret messages, a much higher level of communications than simply hooting the danger call.
    Sorry, I don't quite understand. Are you saying dolphins communicate at a less sophistcated level than non-human primates? Do we know that dolphins don't have something roughly equivalent to whispering?