This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 19:24
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well, the Japanese are certainly good at technology! When I was a kid I took apart a transistor radio and there were parts in it that were sheet metal and one of the parts had the words 'Bud Light' on it๐Ÿ™‚ They have come a long way since then.
    Back in 1948 they made the deal of the century with Bell Labs. Bell Labs sold Sony the rights to the transistor for $25,000! I wonder if the folks at Bell Labs ever kicked themselves for THAT deal!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 19:49

6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 20:46
    I really could not care less what Googlefudge thinks about anything, particularly myself.

Yes, that explains the amount of time you have spent lying about me... oh no wait...

Plausible inference from your continuing tirades against me... you do care.

I never have claimed that I could read Googlefudge's mind.

No, you just act like it.

I also know that Googlefudge's often disingenuous about what he claims to think.

Oh, hang on, now you do claim to know what I think. Make your mind up.

And you know nothing of the sort, I am not at all disingenuous about what I think or claim to think.
    As was pointed out to you, my fault lies in being brutally honest and forthright in what I think.

I have drawn plausible inferences
    from Googlefudge's usual extremely arrogant and offensive misconduct against me.

No, you made stuff up, and that stuff was all wrong.

Would you like to admit that it was all wrong and apologise... no, of course not.

Just keep assuming that your right, because nobody here will see through that.

Given that, if I recall correctly, Googlefudge recently wrote that he was very worried about
    imminent Russian military aggression (perhaps even a nuclear first strike?) against the UK,

You recall incorrectly. As ever you clearly have no clue about how, and what I think.
    Thus EVERYTHING you base on these wrong assumptions will also be wrong and/or unfounded.

I would say that Googlefudge shows signs of paranoia, making irrational projections onto others.

WRONG. see, told you.

Googlefudge has jumped to countless wrong conclusions
    about me, which I expect he never would question.

Hey, prove me wrong. Stop acting utterly like I predict you will and I will change my conclusions.
    I frequently question my conclusions, and I change my mind, and I admit to making mistakes. Unlike you.

Let's try step one. Will YOU admit that you do not have a reasonable basis for many, if not all, of the accusations you
    throw at me, and have no clue who I am or what or how I think and that your claims to the contrary were and are wrong?

If so. Hey, My opinion of you is changed, you CAN actually admit to being wrong.

Otherwise... No new data, no change in opinion.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 21:28
    Argumentum ad Populum.

Just because other people agree with you does not make you right.

For example, I could post you this comment from someone I would consider to be an excellent
    and well regarded poster Rank outsider from exactly the same thread.

In a previous discussion with me, you commented (in response to my rejection of claims by internet posters about a person's alleged racism) that people could still come across as racist even if they weren't. You thought it was important that these people recognise that their actions can appear very different to how they perceive it and that they should be alert to this and be willing to modify their behaviour to avoid this unintended state of affairs.

Whether you accept it or not, your posts do come across as condescending, arrogant and dismissive. A number of posters here have commented on this to me privately, and more still in the forums publicly. You may think we are all wrong, but it is a widely held view and there comes a point where, whatever you say, you should recognise that this is because this is how, in fact, they come across.

Which is a pity, as you are obviously an educated and intelligent woman who has a lot to offer in a debate.

But you seem (note I said seem) intent on allowing the debate to descend into why you are superior to other posters. I mean, you regularly point out your superior chess rating, even when this has no bearing on the issue at hand. Does that not strike you as being likely to be considered a tad on the arrogant side?

(I often find that truly arrogant people resort to the 'But it's true!' argument, as if that makes them seem less arrogant, when instead it makes the position worse. It's like someone mentioning their IQ at a party.)

But when it ends up in you trying to make an issue out of a typo by someone who is dyslexic, you really should pause for thought and take some of your own advice that you dole out so readily to others.

Also there is this from stellspalfie...

please correct me if im wrong, im sure you will (and at great length). but are you aware how pompous you come across in your posts. generally i agree with what you say (usually initially, then you seem to quickly drop into obscure bickering over the minutiae of other people points). its a shame, you are obviously educationally intelligent. the one criticism that has been leveled at you in this thread that i think you should take heed of is your boasting. you do boast (maybe subconsciously).

Obviously now I have posts from people agreeing with me I win the argument... right?

So perhaps some evidence would be in order.

How about this post from page 19 of that thread in which I explain to Suzianne that I misunderstood her intended meaning

You could very well be right.

Saying "that says a lot about you" without clarification is almost without exception
    a bad thing... at least with everyone I've met.

But I wasn't nearly as miffed as I apparently came across.
    And as I say, I generally do like you, even if I do think you're a bit nuts

And I would note that your favoured supporter ToO was at the time critiquing Suzianne for exactly the same point.

While you may have meant something different, people can only go by what you actually write. People are not mind readers. Even "thinking person(s)" are not mind readers.

As to your response as a whole, it seems you can't but help continue being "defensive". Pride perhaps?

On page 23 we have this post by me.

Actually no... At least I don't believe so.
    The quote I was responding to was this...

"I would say that it upset me, but I don't believe that the man who said it
    should be beaten up
    (which Googlefudge said he would like to do) for it"

The bit in bold is important. Because it [to my mind] clearly indicates that I actually
    would have beaten him up if I was there, as opposed to simply feeling the desire to
    beat him up which I never intended to act on.

Yes, both sentences used the word like, but it has more than one meaning and in
    determining which context is vital. In this context it absolutely looks like I was saying
    that had I been there I would have beaten him up, as opposed to feeling the desire
    to hit him and repressing it.

Saying that "I don't think that X should happen", and following it with "Y would like to
    do X" Seems to clearly indicate that Y would actually do X given the opportunity and
    does think X should happen.

Which is neither what I intended or actually said.

So no, I really don't think I am wrong this time.

If I am [always possible], it's certainly not as black and white as you are making out.

Notice that bit at the end.

I realise I can, could be wrong. However I had not been convinced that I was in this case.

I make mistakes, when I realise that I have made one, I admit it and fix it.

I see no evidence at all that you admit to, or fix, your mistakes.

To the contrary, all I see is you repeating them over and over.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 21:29
    You fail to comprehend that you really have been accusing me of thinking and believing things based on no evidence whatsoever.
    Been predictably wrong about all of it.
    And utterly failing to admit or retract your wrong claims.

You can be as sarcastic as you like, that will not change.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 23:203 edits

10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 23:35
    Oh, do please tell me where I have accused you of lying about your mathematical ability.

You cannot do that, because I have not done so.

You are lying about what I have said again.

I admit it when I'm wrong. You don't.

You're wrong here, and I have complete confidence that you will never admit it.

Want to prove me wrong?

Go find me saying that you are lying about having mathematical ability.

Good luck with that.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 23:492 edits

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 00:181 edit

13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 04:281 edit
    I'm tired of this thread hijack for personal argument, but her is a tip. If you replace the the names "googlefude" and Joe Shmo" with the word "you" "YOU" wouldn't seem like a colossal prick. Just a suggestion.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 08:01
    I didn't know that mathematics was as controversial as the climate.
    Another monster thread - for what?
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 08:06
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I didn't know that mathematics was as controversial as the climate.
    Another monster thread - for what?
    -so people can piss each other off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree