1. Joined
    18 Mar '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 00:45
    My money's on Nanotech if we get there fast enough: see Nano (book)

It can stop death kill anything make money worthless, cure disease, heal the world, oh, and destroy it if it malfunctions.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 13:11
    I agree with Andrew. The most fragile/vulnerable variable with the highest disaster factor has to be the economy. Uncontrolled greed rather than sound economics, the population explosion, the MDR viruses and the degenerate common denominator of human nature, does depressingly add up to famine and horror on a global scale.

World leaders need to be visionary are they are not. My view is that national security depends on 3 key initiatives:

1) Mass (and I mean MASS) nuclear power to be completely free of the dependency on oil (forget all that wind-farm bollocks).

2) The ability to grow all your own food. I.E. farming infrastructure and hold your own national seed banks.

3) The ability to defend yourself as a nation - locally, at the border and from national aggressors.
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 17:11
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    It gets washed out of the atmosphere by precipitation and by the surface of the oceans. It is elevated to a slight degree now because there is more co2 being generated now. Not even close to being enough to cause damage to the climate. The plants like co2 and so do I. Just look at Al Gore, he'll cheat ya!
    …It gets washed out of the atmosphere by precipitation and by the surface of the oceans.
    ….

If I remember correctly, roughly about half gets absorbed into the ocean water that way.
    Unfortunately, global warming is predicted to warm the surface water of the oceans (which is where most of the CO2 gets temporarily locked out the atmosphere) and, as it does so, CO2 would become less and less soluble in the ocean water and defuse back out the water and back into the atmosphere leading to further warming.
    This would surely happen as there is recent evidence that it has done this many times in the past -the ocean will only give us partial and temporary protection from global warming.
  4. Joined
    22 Apr '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 19:571 edit
  5. Joined
    22 Apr '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 19:581 edit
    Oops, that was a reply to the guy who said that number 2 could be the beginning of number 3.

double oops, forget it.
  6. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 04:41
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…It gets washed out of the atmosphere by precipitation and by the surface of the oceans.
    ….

If I remember correctly, roughly about half gets absorbed into the ocean water that way.
    Unfortunately, global warming is predicted to warm the surface water of the oceans (which is where most of the CO2 gets temporarily locked out the atmosphere) ...[text shortened]... s in the past -the ocean will only give us partial and temporary protection from global warming.[/b]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle

This may be of help in the matter.
  7. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 09:10
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle

This may be of help in the matter.
    Note that this doesn’t in anyway refute what I just said -the ocean will only give us partial and temporary protection from global warming that way. As the oceans warm, they will start to release CO2 that would lead to further warming.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree