Electric guitars in space, do they sound?

Electric guitars in space, do they sound?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Dec 08

If you played an electric guitar in space, you are in a space suit but the gloves are pliable enough to actually let you play and pick, you have the guitar hooked up to an amp inside the space station where air is, would it sound different than the same guitar in air?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Dec 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
If you played an electric guitar in space, you are in a space suit but the gloves are pliable enough to actually let you play and pick, you have the guitar hooked up to an amp inside the space station where air is, would it sound different than the same guitar in air?
I say they would sound the same, because of the functionality of electric guitar pickups....They are magnetic. Magnetism as I believe it, is uneffected by the presence of air.......or lack there of..Warning, this is not a highly educated answer??

Moves
07 Dec 08

Yes, because the amp is in the space station and (presumably) in air.

F

Moves
07 Dec 08

I think a string will vibrate some longer time, because there is no air restistance in vacuum.

What about an accoustic guitarr, and you have some point of the guitarr in contact with your helmet? What does change?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Dec 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I think a string will vibrate some longer time, because there is no air restistance in vacuum.

What about an accoustic guitarr, and you have some point of the guitarr in contact with your helmet? What does change?
I think that is the correct answer, no air, so there is less damping of the energy, it would be interesting to see how long a string would vibrate in space, in a vacuum. The pickup of course would be unaffected because it is magnetic like he said. I Don't think it would make much difference if it was an acoustic piezoelectric pickup either, the guitar box would still resonate to the vibrations of the strings and so the pickup would still send an audio signal to the amp.

P

Moves
08 Dec 08

I think that is the correct answer, no air, so there is less damping of the energy, it would be interesting to see how long a string would vibrate in space, in a vacuum. The pickup of course would be unaffected because it is magnetic like he said. I Don't think it would make much difference if it was an acoustic piezoelectric pickup either, the guitar box w ...[text shortened]... to the vibrations of the strings and so the pickup would still send an audio signal to the amp.
But I think with an acoustic guitar, much of the quality of the sound is due to the vibrations in the air inside the cavity. You could get sound through a pickup acting on the vibrations of the body but the sound, I would think, would be very different.

This is also a very uneducated opinion.

--- Penguin.

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by Penguin
But I think with an acoustic guitar, much of the quality of the sound is due to the vibrations in the air inside the cavity. You could get sound through a pickup acting on the vibrations of the body but the sound, I would think, would be very different.

--- Penguin.
We're going to have to send Nordlys and her cello into outer space now. She's really falling behind in her work--hasn't even taken that thing swimming yet.

Nordlys, catch up!! Sheesh....

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Dec 08

Originally posted by Penguin

--- Penguin.
We don't need to go to space to find out. Just a large vacuum chamber big enough for a guitar and some kind of motorized plucker and piezo pickups on the guitar. There is a style of acoustic pickup that uses an acoustic microphone and a piezo or magnetic pickup together with a mixer that blends the two sounds, and can sound very impressive as an amplified acoustic guitar, I heard one that sounded better than any acoustic amplified guitar with a single pickup I ever heard, at a guitar festival in Tel Aviv, a yearly event there. So we could have a chamber we could pump up to three or four atmospheres and hear the sound as picked up by a magnetic/piezo pickup V a microphone and then the same thing pumped down to a decent vacuum. Like say, what would a guitar sound like on Mars?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
14 Dec 08

Why should we waste any brain power on this?? 😏

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Dec 08

Originally posted by bill718
Why should we waste any brain power on this?? 😏
You are proving you don't have much brain power to waste.