Electron spin

Electron spin

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
22 Jan 20
1 edit

@metal-brain said
Why not admit you have no idea? That would be the truth.
Nobody has ever seen an electron. How could anybody know what is really going on? Electron spin is a misleading term. Nobody knows if it is spinning or even if the wave function is spinning, although it is a good theory. That is what seems to happen in an electric wire. Isn't there something to spin after all? Ther ...[text shortened]... e right hand rule. Why is there no left hand rule?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule
I forgot about this in my earlier post. It's the difference between a generator and a motor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleming's_left-hand_rule_for_motors

MB

Moves
22 Jan 20

@deepthought said
I forgot about this in my earlier post. It's the difference between a generator and a motor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleming's_left-hand_rule_for_motors
I am aware of that. That is different though.
Magnetism from an electric wire rotates in only one direction, right?

MB

Moves
22 Jan 20

@humy said
That request makes no sense.
Science defines that physical property as spin therefore its spin by definition.
Thus saying "Prove it" is as idiotic as saying "Prove all squares have 4 sides" and for the same kind of reason; It isn't a matter of proof because all squares have 4 sides by definition.
If you deny this then, OK, 'prove' to us science is wrong about sp ...[text shortened]... defines as spin isn't spin... If it isn't spin by definition, this should be a trivial task for you.
You don't even know it is spinning, or even what is spinning. I had to find out for myself from youtube what was supposedly spinning with no help from any of you. You obviously knew less about it than me before I created this thread.

You cannot see an electron. Nobody has. What you have read about electron spin is theoretical and nothing more. There is no way to verify it. If you were honest you would admit that instead of pretending you know for sure.

You cannot verify electron spin, therefore you have "faith" in electron spin. All you really know is electrons have some sort of polarity. Nobody really knows what causes it.

h

Moves
22 Jan 20
10 edits

@metal-brain said
You don't even know it is spinning,
Incorrect.
I know electrons have a property called spin.
This is because their spin, as defined by science, has been measured and that means science tells me (and us) that electrons spin.
The fact that such spin has been measured and confirmed to exist by science should be enough to convince any rational mind that it exists or at the very least probably exists.
This is because if there is good evidence for something then the default assumption should always be it probably exists unless there is also good (and thus conflicting) evidence to the contrary, which in this case there apparently isn't.
If you claim that electrons probably don't spin (do you?) then, given we have good evidence that they do, the burden of finding the required evidence of your claim is on you, not us because we already have the evidence for our claim (from scientific measurement).
So have you got any evidence to show us to the contrary i.e. evidence that implies electrons probably do NOT spin? So far you have shown us none thus our default assumption must be you are most likely wrong and science in this case is most likely correct.

You cannot see an electron.
Which is irrelavent to whether they have spin, unless you now deny electrons exist?
What you have read about electron spin is theoretical and nothing more.
Clearly false. This is because the said spin has been MEASURED.

MB

Moves
22 Jan 20

@humy said
Incorrect.
I know electrons have a property called spin.
This is because their spin, as defined by science, has been measured and that means science tells me (and us) that electrons spin.
The fact that such spin has been measured and confirmed to exist by science should be enough to convince any rational mind that it exists or at the very least probably exists.
This is becau ...[text shortened]... eoretical and nothing more. [/quote]Clearly false. This is because the said spin has been MEASURED.
"I know electrons have a property called spin.
This is because their spin, as defined by science, has been measured and that means science tells me (and us) that electrons spin."

Then what was the result of the measurement? If it was measured you can give the result.

K

Germany

Moves
22 Jan 20

@metal-brain said
Prove it.
That's already been done a long time ago by others. The Wiki lists some relevant experiments with associated publications documenting the evidence. If you cannot understand the article with your primary school-level knowledge of physics and refusal to enhance it, then I suggest you simply accept the experts' judgement.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Jan 20

@KazetNagorra
Like THAT would ever happen.

h

Moves
22 Jan 20
1 edit

@metal-brain said

Then what was the result of the measurement?
Spin, as defined by science, was detected.
Next stupid question...

MB

Moves
23 Jan 20

@kazetnagorra said
That's already been done a long time ago by others. The Wiki lists some relevant experiments with associated publications documenting the evidence. If you cannot understand the article with your primary school-level knowledge of physics and refusal to enhance it, then I suggest you simply accept the experts' judgement.
Then what was the result of the measurement? If it was measured you can give the result.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
23 Jan 20

@metal-brain said
I am aware of that. That is different though.
Magnetism from an electric wire rotates in only one direction, right?
Imagine a straight wire along the line x = y = 0. If it has a current flowing in the upwards direction then the field will circulate in counter-clockwise as seen from above. If the flow of current is reversed then the field will circulate clockwise.

MB

Moves
23 Jan 20

@deepthought said
Imagine a straight wire along the line x = y = 0. If it has a current flowing in the upwards direction then the field will circulate in counter-clockwise as seen from above. If the flow of current is reversed then the field will circulate clockwise.
The right hand rule still applies there, why?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
23 Jan 20

@metal-brain said
The right hand rule still applies there, why?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. The rule in question is the right hand grip rule. Ampere discovered it on the basis of experiment. But the quick answer is that that is what we get when we solve Maxwell's equations for that simple case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule#Amp%C3%A8re's_right-hand_grip_rule

K

Germany

Moves
23 Jan 20

@metal-brain said
I already did. It is explained in detail in the Wiki article. The quantization of spin is reflected in the discrete effect of the applied magnetic field.

MB

Moves
24 Jan 20

@kazetnagorra said
I already did. It is explained in detail in the Wiki article. The quantization of spin is reflected in the discrete effect of the applied magnetic field.
LOL!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Jan 20

@Metal-Brain
You prove your arrogance and ignorance all at once.