https://phys.org/news/2017-04-superbugs-maple-syrup-antibiotic-action.html

Funny, I love maple syrup🙂
  2. RSA
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 09:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Me too. coincidentally I have recently started putting it in rice krispies... I have also recently been sick.

unfortunately it is quite expensive here in SA.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 11:00

pretty awesome because I have a very bad reaction to antibiotics.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 11:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    pretty awesome because I have a very bad reaction to antibiotics.
    As does Streptococcus pyogenes .
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Me too. coincidentally I have recently started putting it in rice krispies... I have also recently been sick.

unfortunately it is quite expensive here in SA.
    I imagine you don't have much in the way of maple trees, right? So it would mostly have to be flown in from Canada. It's not cheap here either, almost $20 US for maybe 2 liters or so, maybe only 1.5 liters.

It is a real pain in the ass to make however. They start out with say 1000 gallons and end up with 200 after boiling it down for days on end.
  6. RSA
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 04:08
    I imagine you don't have much in the way of maple trees, right? So it would mostly have to be flown in from Canada. It's not cheap here either, almost $20 US for maybe 2 liters or so, maybe only 1.5 liters.

It is a real pain in the ass to make however. They start out with say 1000 gallons and end up with 200 after boiling it down for days on end.
    Yeah we don't have any naturally growing maple trees I don't think. I really like it though....
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 10:15
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Yeah we don't have any naturally growing maple trees I don't think. I really like it though....
    I found out about the process when I went to a folk festival held at a place in Pennsylvania called 'Journey's end', a folk came, started in WW2 by Pete Seeger and his older brother finding a place for war orphans. They started taking in kids, dozens of them but their money was from maple trees and the maple syrup industry. They still do maple syrup and have several folk festivals in the summer. Really nice place. I have a few hundred photo's from them.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 16:05

Depending on the concentration of sugar in the sap, the sap:syrup ratio is typically much higher. Its more like 30:1 or 40:1.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Apr '17 16:18
    Originally posted by wildgrass
    Depending on the concentration of sugar in the sap, the sap:syrup ratio is typically much higher. Its more like 30:1 or 40:1.
    I was just guessing. I saw the operation at Journey's End but wasn't sure of the ratio. That is a lot of energy expended to keep boiling for days on end.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree