Environmental concerns about antibiotic soaps

Environmental concerns about antibiotic soaps

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 May 08
1 edit

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080516100942.htm

This link talks about the two main antibacterials in hand soap and where they end up.
Antibacterials in hand soap are particularly stupid for one very clear reason: These substances don't work very quickly, the amount of time they spend on the hands is not even close to the time needed to kill bacteria there. So it gets washed down the drain after accomplishing absolutely nothing on the hands and ends up in the environment where it DOES stay for decades, acting on friendly bacteria.

Here is another link about hand soap:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070815173055.htm

Showing how regular soap is just as effective as antibacterial ones and does little longterm harm to the environment.

t

Australia

Moves
20 May 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080516100942.htm

This link talks about the two main antibacterials in hand soap and where they end up.
Antibacterials in hand soap are particularly stupid for one very clear reason: These substances don't work very quickly, the amount of time they spend on the hands is not even close to the time needed to ki ...[text shortened]... ap is just as effective as antibacterial ones and does little longterm harm to the environment.
It will be interesting to see what kinds of superbugs we will have in 20 years time. All of these anti-bacterial products which kill 99.9% of bugs blah blah, could be breeding super bugs for the future. I see no need to continually use these products and don't get me started on the excessive use of anti-biotics which people use for just the slightest illness these days........ both of the above could doom us all eventually.

Sorry for the rant, not aimed at your comments, just the general subject....... will read the article sooon :0)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 May 08

Originally posted by timebombted
It will be interesting to see what kinds of superbugs we will have in 20 years time. All of these anti-bacterial products which kill 99.9% of bugs blah blah, could be breeding super bugs for the future. I see no need to continually use these products and don't get me started on the excessive use of anti-biotics which people use for just the slightest ill ...[text shortened]... nt, not aimed at your comments, just the general subject....... will read the article sooon :0)
I feel exactly the same, I would like to sue the snot out of the miscreants manufacturing this crap. You know what their response would be, just follow the insanity of the tobacco lobby, remember the CEO's who testified in congress? No senator, tobacco is not addictive, blah, blah, blah.....

t

Australia

Moves
20 May 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
I feel exactly the same, I would like to sue the snot out of the miscreants manufacturing this crap. You know what their response would be, just follow the insanity of the tobacco lobby, remember the CEO's who testified in congress? No senator, tobacco is not addictive, blah, blah, blah.....
Ironically, it can be the filth that surrounds our every day lives that keeps us healthy.

Anti-bacterial products are not required.

Anti-biotics seem to be the GP's only solution....... they should be issued less freely.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 May 08

Originally posted by timebombted
Ironically, it can be the filth that surrounds our every day lives that keeps us healthy.

Anti-bacterial products are not required.

Anti-biotics seem to be the GP's only solution....... they should be issued less freely.
Or only if the patient is clearly unable to mount an immune response, something like that. But to go in to the GP's office with a cold, then they give you an antibiotic, what nonesense, colds come from VIRUSes.