1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '10 18:19
    In Crete fossils from dwarf elefants has been found. They didn't build boats to get to the island. So why should human(oid)s use boats to get there?

Isn't it more probable that they (both) walked to Crete during times when the sea level was low. From time to time the Mediterrany was dried out completely and the bottom was exposed and savanna-like.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Feb '10 18:292 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    In Crete fossils from dwarf elefants has been found. They didn't build boats to get to the island. So why should human(oid)s use boats to get there?

Isn't it more probable that they (both) walked to Crete during times when the sea level was low. From time to time the Mediterrany was dried out completely and the bottom was exposed and savanna-like.
    I think (i.e. I did a quick google search) the Meditteranian hasn't been dry for more than 5 million years.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '10 18:53
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I think (i.e. I did a quick google search) the Meditteranian hasn't been dry for more than 5 million years.
    Oh, so long time ago? Okay... My theory went up in smoke.
    So the elephants there was there as early as 5 million years ago...? Hmm...
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 20:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Oh, so long time ago? Okay... My theory went up in smoke.
    So the elephants there was there as early as 5 million years ago...? Hmm...
    Elephants can swim. Whether they regularly swim far in the sea I don't know.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 13:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Elephants can swim. Whether they regularly swim far in the sea I don't know.
    Elephants are the best mammalian land animal swimmers, they can swim 50 miles and at a rather impressive rate.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 00:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Elephants are the best mammalian land animal swimmers, they can swim 50 miles and at a rather impressive rate.
    It's all about the snorkel!
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 22:18
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It's all about the snorkel!
    That and the minor detail of about 5000 pounds of muscle!
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 07:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That and the minor detail of about 5000 pounds of muscle!
    More important is the fat. It helps you float.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 22:281 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    More important is the fat. It helps you float.
    They use their ears as sails/wings/fins too. Flap flap flap whoooooosh!
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 04:05
    They use their ears as sails/wings/fins too. Flap flap flap whoooooosh!
    I'll wait till they make it into a movie.....
  11. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:21
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Are you 100% sure of that?

I'm currently reading Stephen Oppenheimers - Out of Eden - The Peopling of the World, in which there is a section on human skull sizes. And i quote -

Significantly, both Neanderthals and those modern humans living before the last ice age 20,000-30,000 years ago had rather bigger brains than do people living today.
    It's not the brain sizes, but the expected ratios of brain sizes to body mass and size.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 10:11
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    It's not the brain sizes, but the expected ratios of brain sizes to body mass and size.
    Why should the ratio be more relevant than size? Do we really believe a fly with a brain as big as the rest of its body would be more intelligent? Of course not.

Sure, a larger number of muscles might require a larger brain to operate, but there's no reason to believe that the relationship between intelligence and such a ratio is linear. No reason, whatsoever.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 16:541 edit
    Why should the ratio be more relevant than size? Do we really believe a fly with a brain as big as the rest of its body would be more intelligent? Of course not.

Sure, a larger number of muscles might require a larger brain to operate, but there's no reason to believe that the relationship between intelligence and such a ratio is linear. No reason, whatsoever.
    Take a look here:

The idea behind EQ is that the larger an organism is, the more brain weight is required for basic survival tasks, such as breathing, thermoregulation, senses, motor skill, etc. The larger the brain is relative to the body, the more brain weight might be available for more complex cognitive tasks. This method, as opposed to the method of simply measuring brain weight alone, puts humans closer to the top of the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain-to-body_mass_ratio

If you want original research I can try to find it for you.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 17:311 edit
    Take a look here:

The idea behind EQ is that the larger an organism is, the more brain weight is required for basic survival tasks, such as breathing, thermoregulation, senses, motor skill, etc. The larger the brain is relative to the body, the more brain weight might be available for more complex cognitive tasks. This method, as opposed to the ...[text shortened]... wiki/Brain-to-body_mass_ratio

If you want original research I can try to find it for you.
    EQ=w(brain)/Ew(brain) where Ew(brain) = 0.12w(body)^(2/3)

This is hilarious. A standard straightforward ratio (the linear relationship I mention) would put birds on top of the scale. So let's find the parameters for an "expected weight" that puts us on top of the scale. Right.

BTW: Thin people are smarter than fat people. Proof!
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 20:04
    EQ=w(brain)/Ew(brain) where Ew(brain) = 0.12w(body)^(2/3)

This is hilarious. A standard straightforward ratio (the linear relationship I mention) would put birds on top of the scale. So let's find the parameters for an "expected weight" that puts us on top of the scale. Right.

BTW: Thin people are smarter than fat people. Proof!
    It takes a lot of brain to manage fat! That's why fat people sweat so much from the head when exercising. They gotta cool off those overworked neurons.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree