1. Joined
    15 Jul '12
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 15:15
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    [b]The Gravitation of the Moon Plays Pivotal Roles in the Occurrence of the Acute Myocardial Infarction
    'The Gravitation of the Moon Plays Pivotal Roles in the Occurrence of the Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI)...
    According to recent studies, all mammalian cells seem to possess internal biological clocks. (Dunlap, 1999) There seem to be three major c ...[text shortened]... here is an element of truth
    or truths that needs to separated gently and with great care.[/b]
    ASTROLOGY...do you even know what it is? I'll give you a hint, there are 12 zodiac signs.
  2. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 15:362 edits
    Originally posted by Phil Hill
    ASTROLOGY...do you even know what it is? I'll give you a hint, there are 12 zodiac signs.
    Not really but then, like 'religion', I think it's multi-faceted and it's important to bear
    that in mind when discussing it.

I thought I made it clear from my post that modern-day astrology is a lie that may
    contain some truths. I am not defending fat molly-coddlers that use peoples
    succeptibilty to flatter to push pseudo-nonsense down peoples throats (I'm guessing
    that's what YOUR understanding of Astrology is).

Stephen Hawking stated "The reason most scientists don't believe in astrology is because it is not consistent with our theories that have been tested by experiment."
    Sagan said he took this stance not because he thought astrology had any validity, but because he thought that the tone of the statement was authoritarian, and that dismissing astrology because there was no mechanism (while "certainly a relevant point" ) was not in itself convincing.'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology
    (which I have no doubt you have read)

I have decided to instead concentrate on one aspect of astrology (the lunar cycle) in an
    attempt to prove some scientific validity.

Here is some information on how the lunar cycle fits in with the Astrological signs
    of the zodiac.

The Moon orbits the earth in 28 days, spending a fleeting 2.33 days in each of the signs of the zodiac. Recently, more accurate measurements of the Lunar orbital period have revealed two different numbers, depending on viewpoint. The synodic period is measured relative to the Sun and gives us a period of 29.5 days from new Moon to new Moon, the start of the Lunar month. When observed from the Earth and relative to a fixed point in space, the sidereal period is 27.3 days with minor variations. In order to give a figure in whole numbers for ease of astrological calculation the Lunar orbit can be approximated to 27.75 days which then returns a period of 54 hours or 2.25 days for the Lunar transit of each sign.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(astrology)
  3. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 16:171 edit
    Do you see the problems with these kinds of arguments?

Religion says 'there is a God'. It goes on to say that our God has long, flowing
    white hair and sits on a Gold chair.

Science proves that Gold chairs turn white hair brown. Ergo. There is no God.

edit. I believe the expression is 'be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water'.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 10:56
    Religion says 'there is a God'. It goes on to say that our God has long, flowing white hair and sits on a Gold chair.
    You know as little about religion as you do about science, if that's your image of God.

Richard
  5. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 11:13
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    You know as little about religion as you do about science, if that's your image of God.

Richard
    It's a simile sweetheart. Want me to cut your food up for you too?
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 01:24
    For somebody who hasn't been on the site for too long, you are one sarcastic piece of work!

Back off with your elf-righteousness and watch your back, or you might not be here for long.

Tone it down, please!

-m.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 12:17
    It's a simile sweetheart.
    It's a simile which misses the mark so widely that it's useless. It's also an image which is already used too often by would-be nihilists to put up a straw man in their fight against "superstition". As such, I'll grant you that it is in its right place in a thread with a title as daft as this one's, but still, it makes no serious argument either for or against religion, nor for or against science.

Richard
  8. Joined
    15 Jul '12
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 12:47
    Originally posted by mikelom
    For somebody who hasn't been on the site for too long, you are one sarcastic piece of work!

Back off with your elf-righteousness and watch your back, or you might not be here for long.

Tone it down, please!

-m.
    Watch my back....a threat? You should watch it with those or you might not be here long.
  9. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 12:527 edits
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    It's a simile which misses the mark so widely that it's useless. It's also an image which is already used too often by would-be nihilists to put up a straw man in their fight against "superstition". As such, I'll grant you that it is in its right place in a thread with a title as daft as this one's, but still, it makes no serious argument either for or against religion, nor for or against science.

Richard
    Well, if it hit the mark it wouldn't be a simile now would it?

If you RTP, I am trying to draw comparisons between Astrology and religion.

I am attempting to show that you cannot dismiss all aspects of either subject
    just because the whole doesn't make sense.

Far from treading on religion (which I admit is a favourite past-time of mine) I
    am actually trying to highlight that either subject should be recognised as a consolidation
    of a number of different subjects.

However, it does appear that simile's and metaphor's are not the typical Christians
    strong suit.

I'm sick to death of these metaphysical hyperbole's. If you want to talk religion,
    let us first discuss language structure. Words are what empowers the bible and
    words are the main method God purportedly used to put across his/her/it's
    message.

The word 'God' is not owned exclusively by religious people either.
    Atheists are able to use it too, to represent entirety. But the concept is of little
    use. It is preferred to break the word down into 'everything', 'everywhere' and
    'of all time'. These are useful words that describe aspects. I cannot think of a
    single use for the term 'God' outside of confusing small-minded peasants into
    submission.

Getting back on track though. Is Evolution an adult fairytale. No. Why?
    Because it serves a physically useful purpose.

Definition : fairytale

1. a story about fairies; told to amuse children
    2. an interesting but highly implausible story; often told as an excuse

Let's pick that up point by point shall we.

1. Evolution : nup no fairies there. A lot written about there being no such thing as fairies though.
    Religion : Extensive feature on people with wings and magical powers that intervene in human affairs.

definition fairy.
    (in folklore) one of a class of supernatural beings, generally conceived as having a diminutive human form and possessing magical powers with which they intervene in human affairs.

2. Evolution : Plausible by means of constant, ongoing testing and fine tuning
    Religion : 2000 year old book written decades after the events transpired by
    a bunch of people who still believed the world to be flat.

I'm the first to admit that there's a lot that can take place outside of logic but
    the fact remains the only tool we have to communicate these concepts are words.

You want to holiday on the slopes of contentment, there's a forum for that here,
    it's just not this one.
  10. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 14:15

Tone it down, please!

-m.
    I got this one, thnx Mikelom.

Other than his move to mouth ration Phil does seem to have some ideas and
    scientific knowledge.

I'm curious to see if he can back up his stance.
  11. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 16:192 edits
    My first question is this then to the creationists.

Do you believe that language began in it's present day structure
    or evolved into it?

edit. Knows that no Christian has the Kahoolies to answer this question.
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 16:22
    Watch my back....a threat? You should watch it with those or you might not be here long.
    Scientifically, moderators can cut your account in seconds...... as evolution, even in cyber space, has its lawyers! 😉

-m.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 16:26
    My first question is this then to the creationists.

Do you believe that language began in it's present day structure
    or evolved into it?
    Personally, I believe language began, was invented, and always has been as it is.

I recall a 2,000 year old French book I read, and it contained, "Oui, je peux madame. Le-weekend... o la la."

French have always used le weekend, since the iron ages.... ooops sorry.. the ages of evolution....... oops sorry..the beginning and end! 😀

-m.
  14. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 16:282 edits
    Personally, I believe language began, was invented, and always has been as it is.

I recall a 2,000 year old French book I read, and it contained, "Oui, je peux madame. Le-weekend... o la la."

French have always used le weekend, since the iron ages.... ooops sorry.. the ages of evolution....... oops sorry..the beginning and end! 😀

-m.
    Wow, you're drunker than I am!
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 17:39
    nah, i think he's being dwarf-righteous. dwarf-righteousness is perfectly acceptable here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree