1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 15:111 edit
    Originally posted by timebombted
    Your logic is senseless.

So you truely believe that brain power hasn't resulted in anything to increase the survival of the human race?

Surely there are hundreds (if not more) medical discoveries?

How about engineering achievements which help us live in inhabitable places?
    no, i dont believe it has, life will always find a way... all "brain power" has done has got us to the stage where we are destroying the very planet we need for surivial...

you seem to think if it wasnt for our current knowledge we wouldnt be where we are now; if anything, if we were still living in caves, wearing animal skins and hunting animals for survival the state of the world would be in a much better condition than it is now...

you are wrong, proof: there are still many african tribes who have not advanced for thousands of years, yet they still have found a way to survive
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '08 03:11
    My previous post should have read "UNinhabitable"

Your post is a perfect example of how human brain power may aid the survival of mankind.
    My point is we have to get our itshay together and right now, we won't get a second chance, it will be 100,000 years before the circumstances that led to our level comes up again, but even that far into the future our wanton destruction of the planet will leave them with one tenth of the resources we plundered.
  3. Australia
    Moves
    19 Apr '08 03:39
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    no, i dont believe it has, life will always find a way... all "brain power" has done has got us to the stage where we are destroying the very planet we need for surivial...

you seem to think if it wasnt for our current knowledge we wouldnt be where we are now; if anything, if we were still living in caves, wearing animal skins and hunting animals for ...[text shortened]... ribes who have not advanced for thousands of years, yet they still have found a way to survive
    Yeah right the evolution of the brain has gained the human race nothing........ we will have to disagree on this one.

I'm sure Africans have the same lifespan as say Europeans.
  4. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '08 18:49
    Yeah right the evolution of the brain has gained the human race nothing........ we will have to disagree on this one.

I'm sure Africans have the same lifespan as say Europeans.
    i didn't say the evolution of the brain has gained has nothing, i am saying we do not need the knowledge we have aquired in order to have survived for this long
  5. Australia
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 23:291 edit
    i didn't say the evolution of the brain has gained has nothing, i am saying we do not need the knowledge we have aquired in order to have survived for this long
    Brain power has clearly aided survival.

Do you think we would have developed any of the medical technology we have today without it?

Medical advancements have helped us beat diseases, i.e aided our survival.

Medical advancements have increased human longevity, i.e aided our survival.

Medical advancements have increased fitness (fertility) in those that could not reproduce by natural means, i.e aided our survival.

Do you think humans would live as long if we removed everything medicine has given us in the last 200 years?
  6. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 17:031 edit
    Brain power has clearly aided survival.

Do you think we would have developed any of the medical technology we have today without it?

Medical advancements have helped us beat diseases, i.e aided our survival.

Medical advancements have increased human longevity, i.e aided our survival.

Medical advancements have increased fitness (fertility) in ...[text shortened]... humans would live as long if we removed everything medicine has given us in the last 200 years?
    no, you're right, how can anyone disagree with the points you raised; however, your original point was without the knowledge we have aquired we would not have survived....

i disagree with you on that point, once again, i am saying we do not need the knowledge we have aquired in order to have survived for this long... prove to me if we were still living in caves, wearing animal skins for warmth and hunting to survive we would have died out years ago...

(once again, many african tribes have not changed their lifestyle for thousands of years but still remain today)
  7. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 19:201 edit
    no, you're right, how can anyone disagree with the points you raised; however, your original point was without the knowledge we have aquired we would not have survived....

i disagree with you on that point, once again, i am saying we do not need the knowledge we have aquired in order to have survived for this long... prove to me if we were still livin ...[text shortened]... african tribes have not changed their lifestyle for thousands of years but still remain today)
    The african tribespeople are as intelligent as any 'developed world' citizen. their intelligence and their specific knowledge enables them to survive. The difference between me (who would probably be dead in a week) and them is their knowledge.

Without our intelligence, we would not have learnt to make tools such as spears, bows and traps to help our hunting, knives to skin our prey for clothes, fire to cook our prey and for warmth. We would not have been able to migrate out of africa, since we would not have been able to handle the colder climate.

Without our intelligence, we would be an african omnivore, with a total population in the tens or hundreds of thousands, no more. Quite possibly, we would have been wiped out by another species since it is really only our intelligence that allows us to compete.

Certainly we, as a species but without our intelligence, would be far less able to cope with catastrophic events such as meteorite strikes, earthquakes, tsunamis, global glimate change and other natural disasters (I accept that we are probably the cause of one such event at the moment but we are also the species best able to cope with it)

We are also the only species in the history of the planet with the potential to get ourselve off this single rock and become fully space-faring, the only true long term survival option.

Looking again at your post to which I am replying, I think I have digressed. It seems your gripe is with our knowledge rather than our intelligence. However, it is our intelligence that is inate, not our knowledge. Whether an individual would survive in the wild depends on what knowledge that individual has turned their intelligence to acquiring. And the future long-term survival of the species is heavily dependant on the scientific knowledge we have gained through the centuries, as well as our intelligence.

--- Penguin.
  8. Australia
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 08:20

i disagree with you on that point, once again, i am saying we do not need the knowledge we have aquired in order to have survived for this long... prove to me if we were still livin ...[text shortened]... african tribes have not changed their lifestyle for thousands of years but still remain today)
    I apologise if my original post was misleading, survived and survival are clearly different points.

Regards
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 08:32
    Originally posted by Penguin
    The african tribespeople are as intelligent as any 'developed world' citizen. their intelligence and their specific knowledge enables them to survive. The difference between me (who would probably be dead in a week) and them is their knowledge.
    Not actually true. A significant proportion of those living in rural areas are malnourished and as a result are less intelligent. Also I do believe that our upbringing has a significant impact on intelligence and that by any measure of intelligence people with a proper education and educational upbringing are more intelligent than those brought up in a village environment.
    But it is not genetic. Take a healthy baby from a village and bring it up in a town environment and it is just as likely to get a university degree etc as any other child.

I also disupte the claim by eatmybishop:
    many african tribes have not changed their lifestyle for thousands of
    years

In Zambia for example the 'traditional' food is Maize. Maize came from the Americas < 400 years ago. Everyone wears clothes made of cloth not available thousands of years ago.
    I don't know when farming and livestock arrived in Africa but it has spread and changed considerable in the last two thousand years.
    The only group of people who may have not changed significantly are found in Botswana - and even they are probably only there because they go pushed out of other areas by others - and I don't think there are very many left who actually live 'traditionally'.
  10. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 15:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not actually true. A significant proportion of those living in rural areas are malnourished and as a result are less intelligent. Also I do believe that our upbringing has a significant impact on intelligence and that by any measure of intelligence people with a proper education and educational upbringing are more intelligent than those brought up in a vi ...[text shortened]... by others - and I don't think there are very many left who actually live 'traditionally'.
    Not actually true. A significant proportion of those living in rural areas are malnourished and as a result are less intelligent. Also I do believe that our upbringing has a significant impact on intelligence and that by any measure of intelligence people with a proper education and educational upbringing are more intelligent than those brought up in a village environment.
    But it is not genetic. Take a healthy baby from a village and bring it up in a town environment and it is just as likely to get a university degree etc as any other child.

Yes, sorry, I should have emphasised I was talking about the inate intelligence, the potential if you will.

--- Penguin.
  11. St.Annes-on-sea
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 19:54
    We reptiles are the pinnacle of evolutionary progression as proven by our
    epochal survival potential culminating in the Crocodiles.We admit that
    humans play chess but this activity addles the overlarge brain resulting in
    reduced fitness to survive.
    son of godzilla
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 04:29
    Originally posted by son of godzilla
    We reptiles are the pinnacle of evolutionary progression as proven by our
    epochal survival potential culminating in the Crocodiles.We admit that
    humans play chess but this activity addles the overlarge brain resulting in
    reduced fitness to survive.
    son of godzilla
    Humans have the Oxygen Destroyer.
  13. the highway to hell
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 07:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Humans have the Oxygen Destroyer.
    got a light gov?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree