1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Mar '14 20:23
    http://www.nature.com/news/sensor-turns-faintest-radio-waves-into-laser-signals-1.14823

This is a quantum mechanical device. Extreme sensitivity at room temperature, less added noise than other amplifiers meant for radio astronomy working at 10 degrees Kelvin.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Mar '14 20:36
    Sonhouse, I have a question for you since you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject. We want to fit some aircraft with devices similar to laser tag devices used for mock warfare. The idea is to have dog fights where you need to line up your aircraft with another, and if you get it right, it sets off a smoke display on the target aircraft.

I discovered that laser tag devices actually use infra red not lasers, but have a fairly short range 100-200m and don't necessarily work well in bright sunlight.
    For example, the best I could find are here:
    http://www.steradiantech.com/info/sunplay/

Could one use real lasers for something like this? I would think that a modern handheld laser pointer is not particularly dangerous at distance, but what sort of sensor would you need on the other aircraft to detect laser light?
    My son has a green handheld laser and you can see the spot at night on a building over 500m away, although the spot is well over 1m in diameter by then.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Sonhouse, I have a question for you since you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject. We want to fit some aircraft with devices similar to laser tag devices used for mock warfare. The idea is to have dog fights where you need to line up your aircraft with another, and if you get it right, it sets off a smoke display on the target aircraft.

I discovere ...[text shortened]... ot at night on a building over 500m away, although the spot is well over 1m in diameter by then.
    I also have a couple laser pointers, red and green. The green one is pretty powerful but there are others a LOT more powerful, some blue one powerful enough to light a match.

So those lasers, the more powerful variety, would probably suffice for simulated dog fights. What kind of plane would these be going on? American jets? Russian?. It would seem you would need to be able to spot the laser at kilometer distance.

Here is one detector available for a couple hundred dollars US:

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-2085-cst-electronic-green-beam-rotary-laser-detector-57-ld440g.aspx?CA_6C15C=435329606

There would of course, have to be some engineering mods to use this in an automatic mode where the detector performs some job not meant to be used in the original model but that would just involve finding the output of the detector and tagging it with a wire and outputting that to whatever kind of interface you need, analog, using an A to D in a digital system and so forth. I don't see the actual detector specs for this device but there are probably others equal or more sensitive.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 14:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I also have a couple laser pointers, red and green. The green one is pretty powerful but there are others a LOT more powerful, some blue one powerful enough to light a match.
    I actually don't want them to be dangerous. So strong enought to be detectable over about 500m, but not strong enough to cause blindness.

What kind of plane would these be going on? American jets? Russian?. It would seem you would need to be able to spot the laser at kilometer distance.
    Aerobatic aircraft - Pitts Special S2b
    I need to confirm distance, but I believe 500m to 1km would be sufficient.

Here is one detector available for a couple hundred dollars US:
    http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-2085-cst-electronic-green-beam-rotary-laser-detector-57-ld440g.aspx?CA_6C15C=435329606

It doesn't give specs and just says vaguely 'long distances'. All the ones I have looked up that do state distance are sub 100m.

There would of course, have to be some engineering mods to use this in an automatic mode .....
    I would be willing to do that - or rather I would find someone who can get it done.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 15:161 edit
    I actually don't want them to be dangerous. So strong enought to be detectable over about 500m, but not strong enough to cause blindness.

[b]What kind of plane would these be going on? American jets? Russian?. It would seem you would need to be able to spot the laser at kilometer distance.

Aerobatic aircraft - Pitts Special S2b
    I need to confirm ...[text shortened]... e .....[/b]
    I would be willing to do that - or rather I would find someone who can get it done.[/b]
    You can get those lasers in a variety of powers. I suggest getting laser shield goggles, you can get them for a specific wavelength, but still afford great normal vision. That way you can figure out what power you need and not effect the pilots. Not sure what lenses or goggles they already wear but You would have to engineer them in (read Shoe horn🙂 to fit over stuff they already wear if they wear anything. Just projecting possible problems🙂

Here is one such outfit selling them. Don't know anything about these dudes or the goggles but it is place to start:

http://www.noirlaser.com/
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 17:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You can get those lasers in a variety of powers. I suggest getting laser shield goggles, you can get them for a specific wavelength, but still afford great normal vision.
    I am afraid that is not an option. Firstly the danger of pilots getting blinded is just too great. Secondly, since it is dog fights and may take place over populated areas, there is a danger of harming someone on the ground.
    Sure we could demand that all the pilots and ground staff wear goggles and that the planes stay above a certain height etc etc, but with aircraft you just don't take chances. And besides it would probably violate various aviation regulations.
    The laser absolutely must be deemed harmless.

I have discovered that lasers are also used for speed traps and those ones apparently work up to 1km. I have also seen websites claiming to sell devices to detect speed trap lasers. I'll have to see if I can find out more about that option.
    Since they are used by police pointing at civilian vehicles I am supposing they have been deemed safe.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 18:031 edit
    I am afraid that is not an option. Firstly the danger of pilots getting blinded is just too great. Secondly, since it is dog fights and may take place over populated areas, there is a danger of harming someone on the ground.
    Sure we could demand that all the pilots and ground staff wear goggles and that the planes stay above a certain height etc etc, but ...[text shortened]... they are used by police pointing at civilian vehicles I am supposing they have been deemed safe.
    Police laser radars (Lidars) are most likely IR so the beam is invisible but of course the detectors are tuned to IR. I would imagine police lidar lasers, if they have been deemed safe, would be the way to go. Of course you wouldn't need the velocity measurements so all you need is a detect followed by whatever action you deem needed, light coming on somewhere, whatever.

Failing that, you could always use real bullets🙂
  8. Joined
    17 Dec '13
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 22:10
    You want this for you planes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_Integrated_Laser_Engagement_System

Hold the applause

Ok now applaud

I was in the army stuff works good
  9. Joined
    17 Dec '13
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 22:12
    http://www.peostri.army.mil/PRODUCTS/home.jsp?view_all=yes

I think you can buy it here
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 15:26
    Originally posted by 1shooter
    http://www.peostri.army.mil/PRODUCTS/home.jsp?view_all=yes

I think you can buy it here
    Thank you for the information. I will look into it, but it looks like it may be quite difficult to buy as a civilian.
  11. Joined
    17 Dec '13
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 19:17
    Looks can be deceiving and money is king in the world.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 20:061 edit
    Originally posted by 1shooter
    Looks can be deceiving and money is king in the world.
    Yep, just ask Saddam....

Oops, they offed him....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree