1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    15 Jul '17 16:25
    Our gut contains more bacteria than our body has cells. Good bacteria makes us healthier and bad bacteria makes us sick.

    Modern diets do not contain good bacteria food. Modern foods are designed to be sterilized, having a long shelf life.

    My wife has been using probiotics to help contol intestinal issues. After we started fermenting foods she no longer needs the store bought probiotics.

    Kefir is very easy to ferment and makes milk better for you. The bacteria and yeast consume sugar in the milk, predigesting it for you as well as adding the beneficial bacteria and yeast to your gut. Just add some kefir grains to milk and let it sit on the counter.

    Sauerkraut is also very easy to make, just cut up cabbage, salt it and cram it into a jar. Let it sit for 4 or more weeks, burping the jar each day and eat.

    Salt is the key, I'm using kosher salt but when I run out kosher, I will try some sort of sea salt.

    Make sure to eat it without cooking it because heat kills the bacteria.
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    15 Jul '17 16:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Modern diets do not contain good bacteria food.
    That depends very much on what exactly you eat. Yogurt, for example typically has bacteria in I believe.
    Also, in most cases you don't need a continuous supply of bacteria. As long as you stay away from antibiotics except when you really need them, you should be fine.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    15 Jul '17 17:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That depends very much on what exactly you eat. Yogurt, for example typically has bacteria in I believe.
    Also, in most cases you don't need a continuous supply of bacteria. As long as you stay away from antibiotics except when you really need them, you should be fine.
    Store bought yogurt is usually loaded with sugar and is more expensive than what you can make yourself.

    Yogurt is more difficult to make than kefir and kefir has many more bacteria.

    Typical diet high in sugar feeds the wrong bacteria.

    Sauerkraut you buy in stores generally have no live bacteria. The kind you make at home if you wait more than amonth has as much bacteria in one serving as bottles of probiotics.

    It is much more economical to ferment your own food.
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    15 Jul '17 18:24
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It is much more economical to ferment your own food.
    Also a lot more dangerous. There is a reason shops sterilise a lot of the foods we buy.

    Although I don't deny that probiotics are good for you, they are not nearly as important as a good diet. People needing probiotics are probably eating the wrong foods generally.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    15 Jul '17 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Also a lot more dangerous. There is a reason shops sterilise a lot of the foods we buy.

    Although I don't deny that probiotics are good for you, they are not nearly as important as a good diet. People needing probiotics are probably eating the wrong foods generally.
    A lot more dangerous? Oh how one must be a frightened individual to be a prokper serf.

    Btw, you can buy fermented sauerkraut with live bacteria in stores for a high price.

    Killing off bacteria just makes things more shelf stable.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    15 Jul '17 20:539 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    A lot more dangerous?
    if you unprofessionally ferment it yourself (which is what you suggested) without really knowing what you are doing, it can be, yes. You may unintentionally get a harmful kind of microbe in it if you aren't careful. What you suggest is a bad idea for amateurs.

    A similar thing goes for amateur induced fermentation to make alcoholic drinks;
    http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2013/06/13/3781104.htm
    "...Methanol poisoning: the dangers of distilling spirits at home...
    .. Authorities suspect that methanol poisoning is the cause of death and a fourth man is likely to survive with permanent eye damage ...
    "
    In this case, if you don't do it exactly right, you get too much methanol, not to be confused with ethanol, made in your drink making it deadly.

    A lot safer to just leave it to the people who know what they are doing. The same goes for collecting wild mushrooms for consumption.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    15 Jul '17 21:19
    Originally posted by humy
    if you unprofessionally ferment it yourself (which is what you suggested) without really knowing what you are doing, it can be, yes. You may unintentionally get a harmful kind of microbe in it if you aren't careful. What you suggest is a bad idea for amateurs. A lot safer to just leave it to the people who know what they are doing. The same goes for collecting wild mushrooms for consumption.
    Use 2 tablespoons of good salt with each quart of cabbage and make sure you beat it up enough to release liquids.

    Cabbage submerged in salted liquid is totally safe from what I've read. You two are taljing out of your butts seeing as you know nothing about it.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    16 Jul '17 01:45
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Our gut contains more bacteria than our body has cells. Good bacteria makes us healthier and bad bacteria makes us sick.

    Modern diets do not contain good bacteria food. Modern foods are designed to be sterilized, having a long shelf life.

    My wife has been using probiotics to help contol intestinal issues. After we started fermenting foods she no longer ...[text shortened]... ome sort of sea salt.

    Make sure to eat it without cooking it because heat kills the bacteria.
    Bump the jar and eat. I hope you are not referring to the jar🙂
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    16 Jul '17 01:47
    Originally posted by humy
    if you unprofessionally ferment it yourself (which is what you suggested) without really knowing what you are doing, it can be, yes. You may unintentionally get a harmful kind of microbe in it if you aren't careful. What you suggest is a bad idea for amateurs.

    A similar thing goes for amateur induced fermentation to make alcoholic drinks;
    http://www.abc.ne ...[text shortened]... eople who know what they are doing. The same goes for collecting wild mushrooms for consumption.
    For clarity, methanol is the major constituent in rubbing alcohol. So don't drink rubbing alcohol.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    16 Jul '17 06:156 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar

    Cabbage submerged in salted liquid is totally safe from what I've read..
    you were talking about fermentation and now you are talking about salting cabbage?
    Have you changed the subject?
    You do know that neither putting salt on something nor submerging it in water means 'fermenting' it, right?
    I obviously said/implied nothing about salting cabbage.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    16 Jul '17 16:32
    Originally posted by humy
    you were talking about fermentation and now you are talking about salting cabbage?
    Have you changed the subject?
    You do know that neither putting salt on something nor submerging it in water means 'fermenting' it, right?
    I obviously said/implied nothing about salting cabbage.
    Maybe you should read up on fermenting cabbage into sauerkraut.
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    16 Jul '17 17:031 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Maybe you should read up on fermenting cabbage into sauerkraut.
    Maybe you should read up on what you actually said;

    " Cabbage submerged in salted liquid is totally safe "

    Of cause it is safe; I can safely submerge cabbage in lightly salted water and immediately start to boil it to eat within half an hour; I have done this many times.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    16 Jul '17 17:56
    Originally posted by humy
    Maybe you should read up on what you actually said;

    " Cabbage submerged in salted liquid is totally safe "

    Of cause it is safe; I can safely submerge cabbage in lightly salted water and immediately start to boil it to eat within half an hour; I have done this many times.
    Have you actually educated yourself on how to ferment sauerkraut or are you still responding out of ignorance?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    16 Jul '17 20:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There is a reason shops sterilise a lot of the foods we buy.
    The reason to sterilise a lot of the food is to increase shelf time.
  15. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    16 Jul '17 22:051 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The reason to sterilise a lot of the food is to increase shelf time.
    There are two reasons:
    1. Increasing shelf time. Because if not sterilised and on the shelf for a while, they could make you ill.
    2. To kill various dangerous bugs introduced in the production process. (milk for example should be sterilised as there are some nasty diseases you can get from unsterilised milk.)

    Both these reasons are related to the dangers of preparing your own food without sterilisation.
Back to Top