1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 05:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You can prepare for an IQ test and still have it be an accurate predictor.
    Anyone look at how much you can increase your score? For instance, say a 12 yo takes the test, finds out he has a 110 IQ. Then undertakes whatever training it is that ends up giving him a boost in his IQ #. Anyone know what that # is? Also, if he say, goes from 110 to 125, say, at the age of 13, then enters HS at 14, with his newly won IQ will he match predictions as to the success in school of a typical person also with an IQ of 125?

If he does however much better in school with his new 125 Vs his old 110 say equal to the performance in school of a large sampling of other kids with a 125, wouldn't that validate the new results as being real? Have such studies been done?

Isn't IQ mainly a predictor of how well you would do statistically anyway, in school?
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 07:06
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Are you sure there are no differences? If there are no differences in bodies, then why is it that you do not see whites winning medals at the olympics in sprinting events? Is it because there are no white people who try to run sprints?
    United-Statesians have been genetically deprived of winning the World Cup. this is obviously due to a genetic disinclination to play soccer. i think FICA should have a handicap to redress the imbalance.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 08:05
    That's not true at all. It just means that if you are going to have an IQ test, then you can't study up on the kinds of questions being asked. A vast majority of people do not study for the test, therefore the results would be valid for a vast majority of people.

If the test wasn't valid, then it would not be a valid predictor, which it is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
  4. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 08:58
    Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
    IQ's are WAY TO HIGHLY overrated of claiming one's intelligence, and is why we are still in a caveman sorta speak era of our capabilities, and WHO we are...
    I love tacos, especially with shrimp and some lime juice and cilantro
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 09:46
    Even taking into consideration all other factors, there is still a difference in average IQ.
    How much of a difference? The figures you quoted were clearly without taking such factors into consideration.

The psychologists seem to have numbers that support the fact that IQ tests are valid predictors of future success. Of course it is not 100% and you might be one of those who have a high IQ but don't succeed.
    Well now you have a problem. First you tell us that after correcting for success, there is a difference in IQ between two groups of people. Now you tell us IQ is an accurate predictor of success. Those two claims contradict each other.

Looked at another way:
    The claim that taking success into consideration still shows a difference in IQ between races, amounts to the claim that some races have differing success rates for a given IQ.
    So the claim that blacks have a lower IQ score than whites after correcting for all factors implies that for a given IQ, blacks are more successful than whites.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 12:21
    Surprise, surprise, the resident racist hijacked the thread.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 18:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Anyone look at how much you can increase your score? For instance, say a 12 yo takes the test, finds out he has a 110 IQ. Then undertakes whatever training it is that ends up giving him a boost in his IQ #. Anyone know what that # is? Also, if he say, goes from 110 to 125, say, at the age of 13, then enters HS at 14, with his newly won IQ will he match pred ...[text shortened]... one?

Isn't IQ mainly a predictor of how well you would do statistically anyway, in school?
    The preparation that takes place for IQ tests happens when the child is a baby and a toddler. I took an IQ test when I was pretty small. I don't remember...3rd grade or earlier.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 22:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
    Correlation may not imply causation in all cases, but everyone knows that low IQ people do not do well in school. There's a saying: you can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear.

The fact is that people do not like the results of IQ tests, so they generally don't do them anymore. Better to close our eyes and pretend that the problem exists in some other place.
  9. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 00:50
    Correlation may not imply causation in all cases, but everyone knows that low IQ people do not do well in school. There's a saying: you can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear.

The fact is that people do not like the results of IQ tests, so they generally don't do them anymore. Better to close our eyes and pretend that the problem exists in some other place.
    You can take a child out of school for the amount of yrs one is to have for graduation, and that child can become way more knowledgeable then most Teachers and acknowledge THE FACT that he is ~the only one~ that reduces his concept of what he is able to learn..

You also can take a man that appears to not have a cent in his pocket, and find that he is richer then one could FILL THE VOLUME of the earth with pure gold...
  10. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 17:461 edit
    I haven't done an IQ test. But, as I recall, before I was born, I worked out how to talk and walk and how to use a potty and drive a car. I then worked out all the facts about life and scratched “E=MC^2” on the inner surface of my mother's womb to save the next sibling the time to figure it out for himself/herself and then, just when I was about to be born and knew it, I scratched on “hello suckers” -childish, but I have mellowed since then.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 18:24
    ...way more knowledgeable then most Teachers....
    "Than", my boy, "than". "Then" is an adverb of time, not a conjunction. You might also take note of the rule that nouns are generally not capitalised in English, before you next spout nonsense about intelligence.

Richard
  12. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 02:28
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    "[b]Than", my boy, "than". "Then" is an adverb of time, not a conjunction. You might also take note of the rule that nouns are generally not capitalised in English, before you next spout nonsense about intelligence.

Richard[/b]
    lol huhuhu intelligence has NOTHING to do with the worldly
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 07:25
    lol huhuhu intelligence has NOTHING to do with the worldly
    If you want to use words in a non-standard way then you will do well to:
    1. Define what you mean by them.
    2. Avoid causing confusion by jumping in on threads that are using them in the standard way.
  14. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 22:251 edit
    I will remove myself from this thread, and meant nothing to one's intelligence..

Infact, I know each and every one of you if you knew how intelligent you were would be healing people left and right, and never a need again for what is known as currency.

Your intelligence is immeasurable when you are in full abidance to it's definition, which IS God, which is what your "true" image and likeness is, that you all deserve to grow to, and SHALL, one GRAND day! Have a wonderful day you all =3
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 14:46
    I will remove myself from this thread, and meant nothing to one's intelligence..

Infact, I know each and every one of you if you knew how intelligent you were would be healing people left and right, and never a need again for what is known as currency.

Your intelligence is immeasurable when you are in full abidance to it's definition, which IS G ...[text shortened]... , that you all deserve to grow to, and SHALL, one GRAND day! Have a wonderful day you all =3
    Well I'm glad he straightened us out on that. So I guess that means atheists are the really dumb ones on the planet.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree