Science 17 Oct '11 07:27
  1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 16:51
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Simply defeated in every respect.
    ...from the mention of salt onward.

By the way, where's all your onions and garlic? You never mentioned those. Perhaps you got too much of that Vedic powder somewhere the sun don't shine?

Richard
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 16:52
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://www.biblelife.org/balanced-diet.htm
    Fighting one nutcase with another... classy!

Richard
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 17:32
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Fighting one nutcase with another... classy!

Richard
    Glad you got the subtlety... class interpretation!

Long may it continue.

-m.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 21:513 edits
    I am waiting for the answer to my question.........

Where does all the tasty, healthy, colourful, plentiful and satisfying food come from - which without we would not survive?

How does it exist for us?

It could just as easily not exist for us.

This may be the first question that has stumped the science forum.

No guessing.

No fabricating.

No speculating.

Just the pure honest truth please.

Where does all the food come from?
    "Lying science's" answer (but note I am being honest with you about it being "lying science's" answer):

Foods don't have flavors all by themselves. Foods are made of molecules, some of which can react with the taste buds of an animal. Typically these molecules will engender certain electrochemical reactions when dissolved or dispersed in the saliva in the mouth. The electrical stimulus will be carried by nerves to a flavor sensing system in the brain.

So the flavor of a food is not intrinsic to it. It depends on how a taste bud and the rest of the system in the brain interprets the molecules in the food.

The flavor sensing system can vary, from animal to animal, in how it senses the flavor of various things. Some people for example have a stronger reaction to hot foods, than others. Animals that have a taste for foods that are good for them, will be healthier and will reproduce more than animals that do not develop this taste. This advantage will serve them well. They will flourish.

On the other hand, animals will evolve to find plants and animals that are acutely harmful (that is, that sicken and kill quickly when eaten) to taste bad. The molecules that are harmful may or may not be the molecules that taste bad. Animals born with more ability to taste these bad-tasting molecules will be more likely to survive and reproduce.

Foods that kill slowly or that kill slowly in excess, like highly fatty foods, may still taste good because they are OK or even beneficial in small quantities, and in excess don't kill fast enough to keep an animal from successfully reproducing. For example fat provides energy in moderate amounts. Evolution doesn't care whether you die at 50 or 60 or whenever you are done successfully reproducing.

The healthful and unhealthful, tasty and bad tasting food all come about by the same process of biological evolution as everything else that is alive.

Well, there is salt. It's not alive, has no DNA, etc. But our bodies need salt in moderation. Animals who develop a taste for moderate amounts of salt will do better than those who don't so we eat it as a seasoning -- to make foods taste better -- not by the cupful.

Seasonings are important, to make bland but healthful foods taste good. Tofu for example. Sometimes they are used to mask partial spoilage which causes the food to taste bad. This is risky, but impoverished tribes may need to do it..

Nowadays most people eat more food than they need. When this becomes harmful to reproduction, people who are of a kind that does not do this, will become more prevalent.

There are some plants and animals that are so poisonous that they don't taste bad, because anybody who taste them dies. But they don't taste very good. Certain mushrooms and some frogs for example. Poisonous frogs are often certain bright colors and other animals avoid them on this account. There is some evolution going on in the potential foods, too.

So that's the truth about what lying science says. Of course this is in everyday terms and may be imprecise and is incomplete. It is interesting, isn't it?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 22:28
    what about genetically modified food? 😕
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 23:03
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    ...from the mention of salt onward.

By the way, where's all your onions and garlic? You never mentioned those. Perhaps you got too much of that Vedic powder somewhere the sun don't shine?

Richard
    The hare Krsnas dont use garlic or onion. I am not sure about chilli.
    When I asked them why not, one devotee said, " we dont use onion and garlic because they are foods 'in the mode of passion' ".

I thought about this for a while as I really couldn't understand this point. Garlic I hear is very nutritious
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 23:23
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The hare Krsnas dont use garlic or onion. I am not sure about chilli.
    When I asked them why not, one devotee said, " we dont use onion and garlic because they are foods 'in the mode of passion' ".

I thought about this for a while as I really couldn't understand this point. Garlic I hear is very nutritious
    This link quotes BG 17:9 and more generally covers food. It mentions "excessively hot" which may make it a matter of taste.

http://www.hinduism.co.za/food.htm
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 23:25
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    ??
  9. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 03:43
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    Think of it as accelerated evolution of a specific plant species. Not to say that it is a good thing with respect to other plant and animal species, including humans.

87% of the U.S. Soybean crop is genetically modified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup_(herbicide)#Genetically_modified_crops
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 09:37
    Originally posted by mlprior
    Think of it as accelerated evolution of a specific plant species. Not to say that it is a good thing with respect to other plant and animal species, including humans.

87% of the U.S. Soybean crop is genetically modified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup_(herbicide)#Genetically_modified_crops
    Evolution of plants means that the cells are bumbling along until they randomly become a mango tree or an apple tree or a rice paddy or a corn cob.

Ridiculous and dishonest to suggest such a thing.

The only thing that is bumbling along is false science.
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 10:17
    Evolution of plants means that the cells are bumbling along until they randomly become a mango tree or an apple tree or a rice paddy or a corn cob.

Do you actually possess the real ability to string together one single cognitive thought, or are you serious in all that you type here?

Your thought processes are broken, almost unpaletable and unbelievable.

But then, you don't have an intake of Omega-3 to neutralise your internal electrics in your half-life brain. Get some fish down your weak neck, and I'll meet you half way across the table!

Otherwise, continue to be dishonest with yourself and keep believing that somebody here actually takes you seriously.

I made you a kind offer. Let's see your negative response about MY dishonesty, Dasa, or whoever you believe you are. 😉

-m.
  12. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 20:55

A cell's uptake of foreign DNA fragments (plasmids, virus or other) may be random and dependent on their environment but the survival of that extra DNA along with the host cell is certainly selective. Phenotype variation is the core selective pressure in nature and determins if you will be passing on your genome to prodgeny.
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 23:27
    Originally posted by mlprior
    A cell's uptake of foreign DNA fragments (plasmids, virus or other) may be random and dependent on their environment but the survival of that extra DNA along with the host cell is certainly selective. Phenotype variation is the core selective pressure in nature and determins if you will be passing on your genome to prodgeny.
    Phenotype, DNA, RNA, ABA, CFT, JUT, NIP, OBG, cannot exist randomly by chance/accident.

To suggest this is dishonest and foolish.
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 03:08
    Phenotype, DNA, RNA, ABA, CFT, JUT, NIP, OBG, cannot exist randomly by chance/accident.

To suggest this is dishonest and foolish.
    We are all feckin dishonest and fools, so why don't you move along and go do one, and talk to honest people in a place you belong - the psychos forum?
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 04:13
    Originally posted by mikelom
    We are all feckin dishonest and fools, so why don't you move along and go do one, and talk to honest people in a place you belong - the psychos forum?
    Then don't teach falsity to the little children - for to do so is child abuse.

You know this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree