FORTRAN 90/2003

FORTRAN 90/2003

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silicon valley

Moves
11 May 10

silicon valley

Moves
11 May 10

😠

silicon valley

Moves
11 May 10

why couldn't they have just let it DIE!?!? 😠

j
Some guy

Moves
11 May 10

Bah, Fortran 2003 is so "old school". Fortran 2008 is here to stay.

http://www.nag.co.uk/sc22wg5/

It's amazing how many people still use it in scientific computing. Something about re-using old libraries I guess. But I really scratch my head when I see "Objected Oriented FORTRAN".

Yikes.

silicon valley

Moves
12 May 10

there's plenty of people trained in FORTRAN who aren't going to just move to C, esp. if programming is not their main job.

m

Moves
15 May 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
there's plenty of people trained in FORTRAN who aren't going to just move to C, esp. if programming is not their main job.
That's funny. Do they still use Fortran?
I learned that in college way back when, I thought that would be obselete by now.

silicon valley

Moves
15 May 10

old scientists and engineers, as far as i can tell. REALLY old. and the youngsters picked for the next generation of maintenance.

silicon valley

Moves
15 May 10

Originally posted by mlprior
I learned that in college way back when, I thought that would be obselete by now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAPACK

LAPACK (Linear Algebra PACKage) is a software library for numerical linear algebra. It provides routines for solving systems of linear equations and linear least squares, eigenvalue problems, and singular value decomposition. It also includes routines to implement the associated matrix factorizations such as LU, QR, Cholesky and Schur decomposition. LAPACK was originally written in FORTRAN 77 and is now written in Fortran 90. The routines handle both real and complex matrices in both single and double precision.

E
YNWA

Moves
17 May 10

Originally posted by mlprior
All the results presented by climate scientists the world over were calculated using FORTRAN code. Its easy to learn and read (FORmula TRANslation) and accommodates numerical methods and parallelisation routines easily, so why do scientists need anything else?

j

Moves
18 May 10

Over 25 years ago a someone said whatever the computer language of the future will be, it will be called FORTRAN.

He turned out to be right.

silicon valley

Moves
19 May 10

😛

T

Moves
06 Jun 10

What is the advantage of C above fortran 90 for scientific computing? All Chemical-Quantum codes are written in fortran. This isn't just because of tradition. Most people critisizing fortran still have the picture of fortran77 their head, I think. f77 is indeed obsolete and only used by some dinosauriers.
F90 or f95 is a fine language

silicon valley

Moves
08 Jun 10

i was looking at F95 code to help out my wife and it was hurting my eyes.

silicon valley

Moves
08 Jun 10

just noticed this:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_43_0/libs/math/doc/sf_and_dist/html/index.html

http://www.boost.org

Welcome to Boost.org!

Boost provides free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries.

We emphasize libraries that work well with the C++ Standard Library. Boost libraries are intended to be widely useful, and usable across a broad spectrum of applications. The Boost license encourages both commercial and non-commercial use.

We aim to establish "existing practice" and provide reference implementations so that Boost libraries are suitable for eventual standardization. Ten Boost libraries are already included in the C++ Standards Committee's Library Technical Report (TR1) and will be in the new C++0x Standard now being finalized. C++0x will also include several more Boost libraries in addition to those from TR1. More Boost libraries are proposed for TR2.
Getting Started

Boost works on almost any modern operating system, including UNIX and Windows variants. ...

silicon valley

Moves
08 Jun 10

Originally posted by TitusvE
What is the advantage of C above fortran 90 for scientific computing? All Chemical-Quantum codes are written in fortran. This isn't just because of tradition. Most people critisizing fortran still have the picture of fortran77 their head, I think. f77 is indeed obsolete and only used by some dinosauriers.
F90 or f95 is a fine language
"All Chemical-Quantum codes are written in fortran."?