1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 May '08 16:12
    Can anyone explain the following in simple English please:

- How do they identify which gene does what?
    - How do they know which gene causes which disease?
    - How do they turn the gene off so that the disease is stopped?

Cheers.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 May '08 17:301 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Can anyone explain the following in simple English please:

- How do they turn the gene off so that the disease is stopped?

Cheers.
    Good Questions!

To begin with the last one:

Gene therapy is still at its most intiail stages. Currently, there is no way to fix a gene that is available for therapy. However, there are attempts of introducing the "correct" form of the gene, using viruses and other methods. Deactivation of genes is also possible, and is done in labs in the form of RNA interference, but the procedure is still not ready to be used as a therapy.

Now, to answer your other questions.

Well, this two questions are very similar, as the role of the gene is related to the disease caused when the gene is defective.

Before I continue, we have to acknowledge two concepts:

Genotype: The genes you have. For example, someone can have a gene for O blood type from his father and a gene for B blood type from his mother (or visa verse, it matters not).

Phenotype: The observed result of the genotype ; In our example a B blood type - the O gene does not effect the phenotype in this example.

The "conservative" approach is using two methods: Forward Genetics and Reverse Genetics.

Forward Genetics is seeing a phenotype (in our case, a genetic disease), and comparing the genes of ones so afflicted with those of healthy individuals.

Reverse Genetics is causing a mutation in a specific gene, to see how it changes the phenotype - of course, you don't do it with human beings! you can, however, do it to human cell lines.

The "Genomics Age" methods are based on comparing known genes to the gene you want to research , in order to asses what it does ; I haven't heard about any genetic diseases that were found this way (then again, that's just me) , but it is a very useful approach in learning about genes functions and interactions.

Of course, this is merely the tip of the iceberg but I hope it helps.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 May '08 14:50
    Originally posted by Retrovirus
    Good Questions!

To begin with the last one:

Gene therapy is still at its most intiail stages. Currently, there is no way to fix a gene that is available for therapy. However, there are attempts of introducing the "correct" form of the gene, using viruses and other methods. Deactivation of genes is also possible, and is done in labs in the form of RN ...[text shortened]... nteractions.

Of course, this is merely the tip of the iceberg but I hope it helps.
    Yes. Thank you!

Is it okay if I PM you with various questions?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 May '08 15:03
    Yes. Thank you!

If that's your picture, I can see why you would be interested in gene therapy🙂
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 May '08 15:26
    Yes. Thank you!

Why don't post them here?
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 May '08 17:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If that's your picture, I can see why you would be interested in gene therapy🙂
    Thank you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree