Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    24 Aug '09 14:19
    We have had record hot weather in Brisbane in the last few days. Probably about 10(C) higher than normal. Maybe 12.
    Does anyone know why this would be happening?
    (Its very hot, like summer, and it is supposed to be a winter month still...)
  2. 24 Aug '09 22:11
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    We have had record hot weather in Brisbane in the last few days. Probably about 10(C) higher than normal. Maybe 12.
    Does anyone know why this would be happening?
    (Its very hot, like summer, and it is supposed to be a winter month still...)
    Have you been, or your neighbors been driving too much? That usually does it around here. Farting is another culprit. There is talk of taxing refried beans here to help cool off the planet. The natural carbon cycle no longer works so government will have to step in and tax life to stop the global heat wave.
  3. 25 Aug '09 06:46
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    We have had record hot weather in Brisbane in the last few days. Probably about 10(C) higher than normal. Maybe 12.
    Does anyone know why this would be happening?
    (Its very hot, like summer, and it is supposed to be a winter month still...)
    For a period of a few days there is hardly any such thing as 'normal'. Weather fluctuates naturally. Over any given period there has to be a record at some point or another. Global warming is about the general trend and average temperatures and overall changes in weather patterns. In same cases there is even cooling.
    This particular incident may be just a fluke in some local weather pattern that does happen now and again, (though it is possible that it is a degree or so higher than the last time such a fluke happened - due to global warming) or it could be a result of changing weather patterns due to global warming. It is impossible to tell based solely on the fact that you had record high temperatures.
  4. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    25 Aug '09 08:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    For a period of a few days there is hardly any such thing as 'normal'. Weather fluctuates naturally. Over any given period there has to be a record at some point or another. Global warming is about the general trend and average temperatures and overall changes in weather patterns. In same cases there is even cooling.
    This particular incident may be just ...[text shortened]... ming. It is impossible to tell based solely on the fact that you had record high temperatures.
    I take your point. You see its not just one day, this heat (30+) has been around for a week and is predicted to continue til the end of the week, when the temperatures are supposed to go down to a "mild" 27.
    ( the temperature on monday was recorded as 35 C. 13 above average!)
    Also there are reports of "wild winds" down south.
    Whether it is global warming or not, I'm going to have to get air-conditioning for summer if this trend continues..
  5. 25 Aug '09 09:00
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I take your point. You see its not just one day, this heat (30+) has been around for a week and is predicted to continue til the end of the week, when the temperatures are supposed to go down to a "mild" 27.
    ( the temperature on monday was recorded as 35 C. 13 above average!)
    Also there are reports of "wild winds" down south.
    Whether it is global warming or not, I'm going to have to get air-conditioning for summer if this trend continues..
    in Pakistan my friend it regularly reaches the fifties in summer time. what you get is load shedding where there is not enough electricity for the immediate needs of the country so it gets cut off, the whole country bakes, in summer it is unbearable!

    the best thing i ever seen was a little mud house in one of the colonies and the man had an A.C. firmly plastered into the wall. this was most unusual for one of so little economic means, we called him 'air conditioning man' and loved to visit him for a taste of that cool air.
  6. 25 Aug '09 10:44
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    ( the temperature on monday was recorded as 35 C. 13 above average!)
    What we need to know is not what the average is, but what the previous record was and how much fluctuation is normal.
    For example, here in Capetown the temperature fluctuates between say 8 and 25 at any time during the winter. The average is about 18. So today, at 22 is 4 degrees above average! But it is perfectly normal. And we have the Sea nearby keeping things fairly stable, inland if fluctuates far more.
  7. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    25 Aug '09 14:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What we need to know is not what the average is, but what the previous record was and how much fluctuation is normal.
    For example, here in Capetown the temperature fluctuates between say 8 and 25 at any time during the winter. The average is about 18. So today, at 22 is 4 degrees above average! But it is perfectly normal. And we have the Sea nearby keeping things fairly stable, inland if fluctuates far more.
    As always, I will speak from personal experience. I've lived in Aus since 1980. I 've never seen it come close to 30 C in August let alone 35 c.
    I tell you its really weird.
    (And remember these temps are also near the sea...)
  8. 26 Aug '09 05:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    As always, I will speak from personal experience. I've lived in Aus since 1980. I 've never seen it come close to 30 C in August let alone 35 c.
    I tell you its really weird.
    (And remember these temps are also near the sea...)
    But personal experience is not enough when it comes to global trends like global warming. Weather fluctuates over much longer time scales than a persons life time.
    In Zambia we once had very high rainfall and the Zambezi River was at the highest level I had ever seen. However there is a measuring stick in the river and a little monument on the bank showing a and even greater record high from before I was born.
    Years later we had a frost (very rare in Livingstone) and all the trees went brown. We all thought it was something quite remarkable, but an old farmer showed us a photo from many years ago of icicles hanging from his fence - clearly colder than what we experienced.
  9. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    26 Aug '09 12:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But personal experience is not enough when it comes to global trends like global warming. Weather fluctuates over much longer time scales than a persons life time.
    In Zambia we once had very high rainfall and the Zambezi River was at the highest level I had ever seen. However there is a measuring stick in the river and a little monument on the bank showi ...[text shortened]... from many years ago of icicles hanging from his fence - clearly colder than what we experienced.
    Yeah, i hear ya.
    Thats why I had a question mark at the end of my thread title.

    I still reckon its weird to experience summer in winter.
  10. 27 Aug '09 09:17
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I still reckon its weird to experience summer in winter.
    I am sure it is, but weird weather happens. There has to be a warmest winter, coldest summer, wettest rainy season etc etc for every part of the world and for both 'on record' and 'in living memory' etc. I can remember the few times I have seen hail, some of the heaviest storms or windiest storms etc. But none of these records directly indicates a global trend without a lot more information.
  11. 28 Aug '09 00:20
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    We have had record hot weather in Brisbane in the last few days. Probably about 10(C) higher than normal. Maybe 12.
    Does anyone know why this would be happening?
    (Its very hot, like summer, and it is supposed to be a winter month still...)
    I don't have any numbers but the Westen part of the US is getting dryer and hotter according to all the news I hear...
  12. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    28 Aug '09 01:05
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I don't have any numbers but the Westen part of the US is getting dryer and hotter according to all the news I hear...
    ...and has been for 20 years. even the record snows in some parts last winter left less than average moisture in the mts

    Same thing happened in the Holocene
  13. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Aug '09 21:50
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I take your point. You see its not just one day, this heat (30+) has been around for a week and is predicted to continue til the end of the week, when the temperatures are supposed to go down to a "mild" 27.
    ( the temperature on monday was recorded as 35 C. 13 above average!)
    Also there are reports of "wild winds" down south.
    Whether it is global warming or not, I'm going to have to get air-conditioning for summer if this trend continues..
    I wish that was all it was here! It is getting up to 40 degrees and 90% humidity, as if the heat wasn't enough!.
    Have we had the musical instrument discussion before? What do you play? Do you have a myspace site where I can hear your music?
  14. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    30 Aug '09 01:28 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I wish that was all it was here! It is getting up to 40 degrees and 90% humidity, as if the heat wasn't enough!.
    Have we had the musical instrument discussion before? What do you play? Do you have a myspace site where I can hear your music?
    Well it is summer over there... We have all kinds of extremely hot temps in summer, but this is the first time I have experienced anything close to this in a winter month..

    Dude , I only got one song on you tube, and its quite embarressing. But thats cool, I got a lot more on the way. Just give me a couple of months...(charlie aczel on youtube)

    edit: Oh yeah, I play anything with strings. (I have trouble with instruments I have to blow.) I just want to get a bass guitar now-I hate doing bass in midi...