1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 04:43
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good algebra based physics supplement? Due to budget cuts and such, the high-school kids I've been tutoring don't have textbooks. Parents often ask me to recommend something for them, but I don't really know. I've been recommending the James Walker textbook, since I know that is what they use at my university, however these books are awfully pricey. I need something that more supplements the class rather than a full-out textbook.

I've always been a fan of Schaum's series, and use them extensively for my own studies. That said, I don't know if there is an algebra-based Schaum's outline for physics. I know that there is a Schaum's outline for college physics, but I'm not sure if this is calculus based or algebra based. Could anyone let me know if they know? If not, could you recommend something similar?

Thanks.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 05:071 edit
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good algebra based physics supplement? Due to budget cuts and such, the high-school kids I've been tutoring don't have textbooks. Parents often ask me to recommend something for them, but I don't really know. I've been recommending the James Walker textbook, since I know that is what they use at my university, h e let me know if they know? If not, could you recommend something similar?

Thanks.
    Yeah Schaum's College Physics is algebra based, I flipped through it and there isn't a stitch of calculus in it. And now looking at the front cover under the "Use with these courses" heading, "noncalculus physics" among others is checked. I've never utilized it the book, but I've heard its good.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 23:31
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Yeah Schaum's College Physics is algebra based, I flipped through it and there isn't a stitch of calculus in it. And now looking at the front cover under the "Use with these courses" heading, "noncalculus physics" among others is checked. I've never utilized it the book, but I've heard its good.
    You heard its good what?🙂
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 23:55
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good algebra based physics supplement? Due to budget cuts and such, the high-school kids I've been tutoring don't have textbooks. Parents often ask me to recommend something for them, but I don't really know. I've been recommending the James Walker textbook, since I know that is what they use at my university, h ...[text shortened]... e let me know if they know? If not, could you recommend something similar?

Thanks.
    I haven't really looked through but I have PDF copies of "Motion Mountain" and seeing as there are six volumes the first few probably only dabble in algebra based physics.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 04:51
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Joe: thanks for letting me know about Schaum's. I intend to advise one of my students to buy that book.

Tomtom: Never heard about motion mountain. I may check to see if my library has a copy tomorrow and check it out. Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree