Gravitational constant unchanged over billions of years:

Gravitational constant unchanged over billions of years:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Mar 14

http://scitechdaily.com/supernova-observations-show-strength-gravity-unchanged-cosmic-time/

I see scrolling down a statement that says the upper bound is 1 part in 10 billion per year over a 9 billion year stretch of time.

Isn't that saying G could vary by 100% in that time? That is what I read into that statement.

Correct me if I am wrong.

F

Moves
31 Mar 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
http://scitechdaily.com/supernova-observations-show-strength-gravity-unchanged-cosmic-time/

I see scrolling down a statement that says the upper bound is 1 part in 10 billion per year over a 9 billion year stretch of time.

Isn't that saying G could vary by 100% in that time? That is what I read into that statement.

The crucial passage is "In their current publication, the Swinburne researchers were able to set an upper limit on the change in Newton’s gravitational constant of 1 part in 10 billion per year over the past nine billion years." This mean one thenth of a promille of a promille of a promille, right? Not much. And as this is even the upper bound, it could very well be less than that, even zero.

We shouldn't care much about it. Let the scientists deal with it.

K

Germany

Moves
31 Mar 14

It means that according to the scientists' method the gravitional constant could have at most have been approximately double or half of what it is now.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Mar 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It means that according to the scientists' method the gravitional constant could have at most have been approximately double or half of what it is now.
That's what I read into it. That doesn't seem to peg it down very well does it?

K

Germany

Moves
31 Mar 14

That's what I read into it. That doesn't seem to peg it down very well does it?
A constant gravitational constant is a straightforward thing from a theoretical point of view, but the constantness is not derived from anything since we don't have a microscopic theory of gravity (at least not one which is widely accepted). Thus, the constantness of the gravitational constant is something that is derived simply from past experience and empirical data. You try proving something hasn't changed for 10 billion years!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
A constant gravitational constant is a straightforward thing from a theoretical point of view, but the constantness is not derived from anything since we don't have a microscopic theory of gravity (at least not one which is widely accepted). Thus, the constantness of the gravitational constant is something that is derived simply from past experience and empirical data. You try proving something hasn't changed for 10 billion years!
It can't be done. That is why I have been saying the earth can not be proven to be billions of years old. ASSUME makes as ASS out of U and ME.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
01 Apr 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
It can't be done. That is why I have been saying the earth can not be proven to be billions of years old. ASSUME makes as ASS out of U and ME.
No, just you. 🙄

F

Moves
01 Apr 14

That's what you have read from the creational clips from Youtube. You really have to learn some real science, and not the evilution that your buddies are teaching you.
Don't be an ass.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Apr 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
That's what you have read from the creational clips from Youtube. You really have to learn some real science, and not the evilution that your buddies are teaching you.
Don't be an ass.
He does not have the mental ability to do independent research for himself nor to even ask why there are only a few hundred creationist 'scientists' and over 400 thousand real ones. At his age, such mental changes are beyond his reach.

All you can do is pity him, a TCM in the 21st century.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Apr 14

He does not have the mental ability to do independent research for himself nor to even ask why there are only a few hundred creationist 'scientists' and over 400 thousand real ones. At his age, such mental changes are beyond his reach.

All you can do is pity him, a TCM in the 21st century.
I turned 70 less that 2 weeks ago. So your being about 2 years my senior doesn't amount to much at our age.

Planet Rain

Moves
02 Apr 14

I turned 70 less that 2 weeks ago. So your being about 2 years my senior doesn't amount to much at our age.
There's no fool like an old fool.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Apr 14
1 edit

BIG difference. I dedicate my life to lifelong learning, I deal with major technical problems in vacuum systems and plasma etching and electron microscopes and optical microscopes and ion implanters and ultra high voltage power supplies and radiation on a daily basis and am presently doing that full time.
Making 80,000 US a year also. How much are you making on SS?

When was the last time you dealt with ANY kind of a real world problem other that fixing the creaking runner on your rocking chair?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Apr 14

BIG difference. I dedicate my life to lifelong learning, I deal with major technical problems in vacuum systems and plasma etching and electron microscopes and optical microscopes and ion implanters and ultra high voltage power supplies and radiation on a daily basis and am presently doing that full time.
Making 80,000 US a year also. How much are you mak ...[text shortened]... th ANY kind of a real world problem other that fixing the creaking runner on your rocking chair?
Okay, old man, you got me beat there.

Planet Rain

Moves
04 Apr 14

It's a septagenarian smack-down!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Apr 14

Originally posted by Soothfast
It's a septagenarian smack-down!
I have no problem with sunhouse and his lifelong learning and his work with technical matters. However, I have been attempting to get him to learn that evolution a.k.a. evil-lution and billions of years in a belief system that is unproven by science.