Original or specific?
    Either.

I'm still confused.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 12:341 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse

As to what particles make up space and time, good luck with that one, news at 11. Strings, triangles, lots of hypotheses but no evidence yet.[/b]
    That's pretty much my question though.

Essentially all we have is observation regarding how celestial bodies react to each other. Everything else appears to be a mystery and controlled by forces we don't really understand at all.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 17:07
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Time dilation causes curvature of space-time.

Saying curvature of space-time causes gravity is like saying low pressure areas are caused by curvature of the atmosphere. Do clouds move toward low pressure because of a curvature of the atmosphere?
    No it doesn't. I don't know where you got this notion that gravity is due to time dilation, but I strongly suggest you try another reference.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 18:44
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    No it doesn't. I don't know where you got this notion that gravity is due to time dilation, but I strongly suggest you try another reference.
    You have a better explanation?
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 19:07

Saying curvature of space-time causes gravity is like saying low pressure areas are caused by curvature of the atmosphere. Do clouds move toward low pressure because of a curvature of the atmosphere?

WOW your combination of ignorance and arrogance simply knows no bounds. So you think you understated relativity? -your above nonsense assertion proves you certainly don't at it is complete and utter gibberish to anyone with a physics degree.

Please show all us scientists that we are all wrong just simply by showing us ANY real science link that says or clearly implies “Time dilation causes curvature of space-time” .....
    -failure to do this only confirms what we already know.
    Saying curvature of space-time causes gravity is like saying ...

Curvature of space-time can be viewed as being gravity as opposed to 'causing' gravity.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 19:107 edits
    You have a better explanation?
    Saying "Time dilation causes curvature of space-time" is not even an "explanation" let alone a "better explanation".
    Exactly HOW does "Time dilation causes curvature of space-time"? ...
    WHY is time dilution required before there can be any gravity? ....
    If time dilation 'causes' gravity, why are the examples of time dilation not causing gravity?
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 20:531 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    Saying "Time dilation causes curvature of space-time" is not even an "explanation" let alone a "better explanation".
    If time dilation 'causes' gravity, why are the examples of time dilation not causing gravity?
    note that the examples of "time dilation not causing gravity" I speak of here are examples where there is time dilation without gravity being present or at least without greater gravity being present.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 00:30

WOW your combination of ignorance and arrogance simply knows no bounds. So you think you understated relativity? -your above nonsense assertion proves you certainly don't at it is complete and utter gibberish to anyone with a physics degree.

Please show all us scientists that we are all wro ...[text shortened]...
    Curvature of space-time can be viewed as being gravity as opposed to 'causing' gravity.
    "Curvature of space-time can be viewed as being gravity as opposed to 'causing' gravity."

Time dilation is gravity. Curvature of space-time is just a term to visualize the effects of gravity much like there are curvy lines around low and high pressure areas on a weather map.

I never said curvature of space-time causes anything. Personally, I don't like the term "curvature" when describing space-time. I accept the term only for lack of a better one. I do agree with your statement above, but that still leaves gravity a mystery unless you accept that gravity is time dilation.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 00:44
    Curvature of space-time does not really happen if you use the term curvature literally. I could argue there is no such thing.

You could say that curvature of space-time is the same thing as gravity. You could say that both are the same as gravitational time dilation. I think you are making the mistake of thinking gravity has an explanation at all. Anything we explain it with also lacks explanation. Can you explain what causes gravitational time dilation? Can you explain what causes curvature of space-time? Don't say gravity. They are the same thing, right?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 01:12
    note that the examples of "time dilation not causing gravity" I speak of here are examples where there is time dilation without gravity being present or at least without greater gravity being present.
    I am aware of time dilation without gravity, but that is from moving through space. That does not disprove gravity is time dilation. The two could also be linked. All atoms have electrons that travel close to the speed of light in the confinement of their shells.

I guess you could say I am just renaming gravity, but I am being more specific so I don't see it that way.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 02:56
    I am aware of time dilation without gravity, but that is from moving through space. That does not disprove gravity is time dilation. The two could also be linked. All atoms have electrons that travel close to the speed of light in the confinement of their shells.

I guess you could say I am just renaming gravity, but I am being more specific so I don't see it that way.
    It's hard to disprove anything about gravity because you cannot measure it other then observing invisible forces moving things like in a cheap horror film in October.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 04:01
    "Curvature of space-time can be viewed as being gravity as opposed to 'causing' gravity."

Time dilation is gravity. Curvature of space-time is just a term to visualize the effects of gravity much like there are curvy lines around low and high pressure areas on a weather map.

I never said curvature of space-time causes anything. Personally, I don't ...[text shortened]... above, but that still leaves gravity a mystery unless you accept that gravity is time dilation.
    Why don't you try publishing your idea that time dilation causes gravity?
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 06:531 edit

Curvature of space-time is just a term to visualize the effects of gravity much like there are curvy lines around low and high pressure areas on a weather map.

How would you know this? What is the source of your information?
    You don't even understand any of it.
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 06:581 edit
    Curvature of space-time does not really happen if you use the term curvature literally. I could argue there is no such thing.

You could say that curvature of space-time is the same thing as gravity. You could say that both are the same as gravitational time dilation. I think you are making the mistake of thinking gravity has an explanation at all. An ...[text shortened]... explain what causes curvature of space-time? Don't say gravity. They are the same thing, right?
    You could say that both are the same as gravitational time dilation.

Why?
    I think you are making the mistake of thinking gravity has an explanation at all.

How would you know when you don't understand anything about it?
    Can you explain what causes gravitational time dilation?

There are people far smarter than you are that can but you would have insufficient intelligence to understand any of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree