Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Subscriber ysterbaard
    AAPS forever
    17 Mar '09 20:05
    Why is it that in every known civilization, be it 'extinct' like the Inca or alive and well, there is some kind of dragon legend(s) and/or depictions or relics or totem poles or whatever you want to call it. As far as I know every continent on earth has some kind of dragon 'something'. Freaky thing is the all look similar. Wings, claws, scales, fire-breathing etc. etc.

    Any Thoughts? Is this the right forum for this?
  2. 17 Mar '09 21:21
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon
  3. Standard member zozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    17 Mar '09 22:51
    Originally posted by ysterbaard
    Is this the right forum for this?
    I dont think so, theres noting really scientific about dragons is there? Just a tale...like religion lol

    Maybe "Culture" would have been the best spot?
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    18 Mar '09 06:55
    I would imagine because they kept finding dinosaur bones and had to explain them.
  5. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Mar '09 07:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I would imagine because they kept finding dinosaur bones and had to explain them.
    So how'd they go from bones to flying fire-breathers? And how come Chinese dragons are different?
  6. Standard member zozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    18 Mar '09 08:15
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    So how'd they go from bones to flying fire-breathers? And how come Chinese dragons are different?
    Imagination?
    How did the ppl go from nothing to entire religions? Imagination.
    Why did the ppl use to think the earth was phlat? Imagination (and trying to think reasonable).

    The mind is a powerfull thing
  7. 18 Mar '09 16:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zozozozo

    The mind is a powerfull thing
    ...and it must be-be-be stopped.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    18 Mar '09 16:15
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    So how'd they go from bones to flying fire-breathers? And how come Chinese dragons are different?
    Flying is easy enough. This was found in China:

    http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll158/cmehigh1/archaeopteryx1.jpg
  9. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Mar '09 20:00
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Flying is easy enough. This was found in China:

    http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll158/cmehigh1/archaeopteryx1.jpg
    You're positing the existence of Stone Age Chinese paleontologists who could successfully excavate and interpret archeopteryx fossils. OK, maybe there were such experts before the advent of modern paleontology. But why don't Chinese dragons have wings?
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    19 Mar '09 02:35 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You're positing the existence of Stone Age Chinese paleontologists who could successfully excavate and interpret archeopteryx fossils. OK, maybe there were such experts before the advent of modern paleontology. But why don't Chinese dragons have wings?
    Nah. Sometimes the fossils show themselves. I renember reading about a cliff that had an entire skeleton (of an ichthyosaur maybe) showing with no excavation. I wish I could find a reference.

    Here's an example of fossils showing themselves:

    In the case of the Isle of Wight, the cliff erosion that occurs at places like Yaverland and Compton Bay has caused the cliff lines to retreat, exposing the fossils in the cliff.

    http://www.islandbuses.info/dinosaurs.shtml


    Keep in mind that fossils are often found in sedimentary rock, squished flat between two layers. Such layers can come apart fairly easily, as anyone who's played with soft sedimentary rock knows.

    Some Chinese dragons do have wings. Apparently such wings grew out of the front limbs. For example:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinglong

    Chinese dragons are occasionally depicted with bat-like wings growing out of the front limbs

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon#Depictions_of_the_dragon


    Many dinosaurs are found up in the Himalayas at high elevation. How else could such large, fierce lizards get up there? Clearly even the wingless dragons could fly.

    As far as the fire breathing goes, I'm not sure that either Chinese dragons or Native American feathered serpents were said to breathe fire. The Chinese dragons have lots of powers, but seem to have mostly water based powers. The only mention of fire I can find is that they can change into fire...not quite the same as breathing it.
  11. 19 Mar '09 07:38
    Originally posted by ysterbaard
    Why is it that in every known civilization, be it 'extinct' like the Inca or alive and well, there is some kind of dragon legend(s) and/or depictions or relics or totem poles or whatever you want to call it. As far as I know every continent on earth has some kind of dragon 'something'. Freaky thing is the all look similar. Wings, claws, scales, fire-breathing etc. etc.

    Any Thoughts? Is this the right forum for this?
    Since its the science forum, how about backing up your claim.
    Can you provide a reference to some kind of dragon creature from each continent in the world.
    The Wikipedia article doesn't even come close to supporting your claim, in fact it contradicts it.
  12. 19 Mar '09 08:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Since its the science forum, how about backing up your claim.
    Can you provide a reference to some kind of dragon creature from each continent in the world.
    The Wikipedia article doesn't even come close to supporting your claim, in fact it contradicts it.
    The Loch Ness monster, the last living dragon on earth. Come to the bonnie banks of Loch Ness and you may just catch a glimpse of her.
  13. 19 Mar '09 10:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Loch Ness monster, the last living dragon on earth. Come to the bonnie banks of Loch Ness and you may just catch a glimpse of her.
    Last time you saw her did she have wings and breathe fire?
  14. Standard member black beetle
    Black Beastie
    19 Mar '09 11:23
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You're positing the existence of Stone Age Chinese paleontologists who could successfully excavate and interpret archeopteryx fossils. OK, maybe there were such experts before the advent of modern paleontology. But why don't Chinese dragons have wings?
    Because they were not physical creatures like, ie, the birds. The dragons could fly by means of their mental power alone.

    On the other hand there are Chinese dragons unable to fly; you can understand if a dragon can fly if you check the shape of its head. The existence of a compact mass without a regular shape on their head is the indicator that they can fly
  15. 19 Mar '09 18:06 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Last time you saw her did she have wings and breathe fire?
    Lol, yes , she arose out of the water, shimmering and bellowing in a majestic phoenix like arch, the water making patterns of tiny seahorses that reared and whinnyed and fell cascading back into the depths, flew over to the shore and torched my sausages that were lying on the barbecue smoldering, ahhhh, best flame grilled id tasted for ages, then she descended into the depth of the Loch while fairy music played in the distance and the moon turned a fiery Halloween orange!