1. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 02:36
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57570097/higgs-boson-may-spell-doom-for-the-universe/

😉
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 04:371 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57570097/higgs-boson-may-spell-doom-for-the-universe/

😉
    Sounds like Biblical prophecy on its way to fulfillment, except for the part about billions of years. But I doubt if you can trust these hugh time estimates. 😏
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 08:315 edits

😉
    I hope that suggested theory is false even through, very obviously, we wouldn't have to concern ourselves with it for a very long time if true.
    Perhaps, If it is true, by the time the end is about to happen, we would have fingered out a way to hop safely into another universe? -that could be assuming an awful lot though.
  4. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 18:07
    ...wormholes.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 19:36

😉
    Not to worry. Captain Picard will fix any rupture in the spacetime continuum with a particle beam from the Enterprise's main deflector dish "simultaneously" in three different time periods.

And he'll do it for free because the Federation doesn't use money.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 23:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Sounds like Biblical prophecy on its way to fulfillment, except for the part about billions of years. But I doubt if you can trust these hugh time estimates. 😏
    So you figure since you *know* the universe is 6000 years old, the reckoning must be about 6000 years in the future?
  7. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    23 Feb '13 01:49
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    ...I was thinking the same thing about your RHP rating 😉
  8. Germany
    Moves
    23 Feb '13 08:26
    ...I was thinking the same thing about your RHP rating 😉
    His rating proves that he is either a successful troll or an engine user. I'm thinking the former.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Feb '13 15:51

😉
    I don't get this. Unless there's some effect from the matter sector there isn't any scope in the Standard Model for the Higgs for a fall into a lower energy state. If they mean that the (bare) Higgs potential is different from the standard model Higgs (the standard model Higgs has a single minimum - to fall into a lower stable vacuum you need a potential with more minima) that's fine, but it's not the standard model.
  10. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    23 Feb '13 16:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    His rating proves that he is either a successful troll or an engine user. I'm thinking the former.
    I bet on the latter
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 21:03
    Originally posted by humy
    I hope that suggested theory is false even through, very obviously, we wouldn't have to concern ourselves with it for a very long time if true.
    Perhaps, If it is true, by the time the end is about to happen, we would have fingered out a way to hop safely into another universe? -that could be assuming an awful lot though.
    We've always been doomed, though. Fates to choose from at the Cosmology Buffet:

1) The universe ends in fire with a Big Crunch.
    2) The universe ends in ice by expanding forever, but decelerating whilst asymptotically approaching the entropic state of "heat death".
    3) The universe ends in total disintegration as it expands forever at an accelerating rate, the stretching of spacetime causing all bonds to break right down to the quarks comprising every last hadron.

#3 is the hot new thing blowing the dresses of physicists up these days, I think. And it appears to be corroborated by observation. Thus, I would say it's really good news if the universe turns out to be unstable and is consumed by a fresh, young universe before wholly disassociating into an eternal inky oblivion.
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 21:25
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    We've always been doomed, though. Fates to choose from at the Cosmology Buffet:

1) The universe ends in fire with a Big Crunch.
    2) The universe ends in ice by expanding forever, but decelerating whilst asymptotically approaching the entropic state of "heat death".
    3) The universe ends in total disintegration as it expands forever at an [i]acceleratin ...[text shortened]... sumed by a fresh, young universe before wholly disassociating into an eternal inky oblivion.
    a depressing but realistic outlook for humanity.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 23:08
    a depressing but realistic outlook for humanity.
    I think if humanity, against all odds, continues to evolve as a civilization for even another million years (a cosmological eye-wink), it will find some means to outlive the universe.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 23:24
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I think if humanity, against all odds, continues to evolve as a civilization for even another million years (a cosmological eye-wink), it will find some means to outlive the universe.
    I hope so.
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 00:48
    I hope so.
    Why would that matter to you in any realistic sense whatever?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree