1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    26 Feb '08 04:29
    An airplane weighing 175,000 kilograms begins accelerating at 2.2 meters per second per second at an angle 12 degrees above the horizon. How long will it take before the airplane takes off?
  2. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    20827
    26 Feb '08 04:45
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    An airplane weighing 175,000 kilograms begins accelerating at 2.2 meters per second per second at an angle 12 degrees above the horizon. How long will it take before the airplane takes off?
    When the plane reaches rotation speed and the pilot pulls up.

    🙂

    Aren't you supposed to be doing your own homework kiddo?
  3. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    13400
    26 Feb '08 04:502 edits
    Originally posted by mlprior
    When the plane reaches rotation speed and the pilot pulls up.

    🙂

    Aren't you supposed to be doing your own homework kiddo?
    He has a point, anyone who has studied physics could probably answer this but then you wouldn't learn....

    Besides don't you need more information than this??😛

    re read the question sorry.... Just about have an ans too....
  4. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    20827
    26 Feb '08 05:07
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    An airplane weighing 175,000 kilograms begins accelerating at 2.2 meters per second per second at an angle 12 degrees above the horizon. How long will it take before the airplane takes off?
    Do you have an answer yet?

    Break the lift into horizontal and vertical vectors.

    I have an answer but I'm gonna wait for yours first!

    😀
  5. This is embarrasking
    Joined
    17 Nov '05
    Moves
    38386
    26 Feb '08 05:15
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    An airplane weighing 175,000 kilograms begins accelerating at 2.2 meters per second per second at an angle 12 degrees above the horizon. How long will it take before the airplane takes off?
    How long is the wing span?
  6. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    20827
    26 Feb '08 05:18
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    How long is the wing span?
    Does it have a G1000?

    What is the useable fuel capacity?

    Where is this plane hangered?

    Are the keys in the ignition?
  7. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    13400
    26 Feb '08 05:22
    Originally posted by mlprior
    Does it have a G1000?

    What is the useable fuel capacity?

    Where is this plane hangered?

    Are the keys in the ignition?
    More Importantly Is the pilot a loaf of bread, cause if thats the case then the plane aint going anywhere
  8. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    20827
    26 Feb '08 05:321 edit
    Originally posted by Mexico
    More Importantly Is the pilot a loaf of bread, cause if thats the case then the plane aint going anywhere
    Good point!

    I will eat the bread and a quarter pounder with cheese, thus increasing the overall mass by .3 pounds.

    Looks like Witty Wonka has taken off, I never did like that movie.

    OK, the answer I got was 21.4 seconds...I'm not sure I did that correct though.

    Good night!
  9. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    13400
    26 Feb '08 05:36
    Originally posted by mlprior
    Good point!

    I will eat the bread and a quarter pounder with cheese, thus increasing the overall mass by .3 pounds.
    If your already near the loaf of bread you already in the plane therefore its a closed system, and not mass is gained..... Unless of course your hiding a revolutionary piece of equipment in your stomach which can convert energy into mass using bread as a catalyst..... Are you? I demand that you share this with the scientific community at large...
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Joined
    23 Sep '03
    Moves
    15902
    26 Feb '08 09:20
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    An airplane weighing 175,000 kilograms begins accelerating at 2.2 meters per second per second at an angle 12 degrees above the horizon. How long will it take before the airplane takes off?
    Take it to "Posers & Puzzles", Spanky!




    edit - on a serious note, surely this belongs there. Have these new fora(forums?) blurred the boundaries?
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    26 Feb '08 11:10
    Ha, well, I confess that I have had physics problems like this one, but this isn't specifically one of my homework problems. Sorry for that confusion.

    As proof, I'll solve it (at least I hope).

    Because the airplane is accelerating at 2.2 m/s^2 at an angle of 12 degrees, we start by finding the y-axis component of that acceleration, which we find to be approximately 0.46 m/s^2 (sin12*2.2). From here, we find the force of this acceleration on the airplane, approximately 80,500 N in the upward direction (0.46*175,000). Now, we find the force of gravity acting on the airplane, 1,716,750 N in the downward direction (175,000*9.81). Finally, we divide these forces to find the amount of time it takes for the airplane's force to overcome the force of gravity, approximately 21.3 seconds (1,716,750/80,500).

    Feel free to correct me if I am indeed mistaken.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    26 Feb '08 12:02
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Ha, well, I confess that I have had physics problems like this one, but this isn't specifically one of my homework problems. Sorry for that confusion.

    As proof, I'll solve it (at least I hope).

    Because the airplane is accelerating at 2.2 m/s^2 at an angle of 12 degrees, we start by finding the y-axis component of that acceleration, which we ...[text shortened]... y [b]21.3 seconds
    (1,716,750/80,500).

    Feel free to correct me if I am indeed mistaken.[/b]
    Is it a ballistic aeroplane or is it one that acts aerodynamically?
    If it is a ballistic one you might be right, but then it is not a normal aeroplane.
  13. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    17163
    27 Feb '08 01:202 edits
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    An airplane weighing 175,000 kilograms begins accelerating at 2.2 meters per second per second at an angle 12 degrees above the horizon. How long will it take before the airplane takes off?
    Too hard for me. 😞
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    27 Feb '08 01:27
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Ha, well, I confess that I have had physics problems like this one, but this isn't specifically one of my homework problems. Sorry for that confusion.

    As proof, I'll solve it (at least I hope).

    Because the airplane is accelerating at 2.2 m/s^2 at an angle of 12 degrees, we start by finding the y-axis component of that acceleration, which we ...[text shortened]... y [b]21.3 seconds
    (1,716,750/80,500).

    Feel free to correct me if I am indeed mistaken.[/b]
    wrong.
    the plane will never take off, unless you consider the lift caused in the wings (proportional to the horizontal speed). But that's not included in the problem.
    The plane in the problem will always have the same vertical and horizontal acceleration, and will never overcome gravity.
  15. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    13400
    27 Feb '08 01:30
    Originally posted by serigado
    wrong.
    the plane will never take off, unless you consider the lift caused in the wings (proportional to the horizontal speed). But that's not included in the problem.
    The plane in the problem will always have the same vertical and horizontal acceleration, and will never overcome gravity.
    I think the problem was simplified to ignore wing lift and assume the 12 degrees was simply it taking off..... Like many other basic physics problems....
Back to Top