1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 May '14 07:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Homeopathy is attractive because doctors don't treat the whole person because of constraints on time or the medicines they prescribe are too severe or have too much adverse side effects or they are simply ineffective so people turn to alternative more natural treatments. To say that homeopathy doesn't work is quite erroneous in my experience for I have known a number of persons get well after attending a homeopath.
    I got a cold once. I went to a homeopath and bought three pills for 50 dollars. And three days later I got rid of my cold, and then I only took one of the pills. Isn't homeopaty wonderful?

But now I have found out that in the pill there was only sugar. So next time I will eat a cube of sugar instead. Much cheaper. And as effective.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '14 07:201 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I got a cold once. I went to a homeopath and bought three pills for 50 dollars. And three days later I got rid of my cold, and then I only took one of the pills. Isn't homeopaty wonderful?

But now I have found out that in the pill there was only sugar. So next time I will eat a cube of sugar instead. Much cheaper. And as effective.
    I am surprised you did not realize that the common cold is incurable prior to going. You could have saved your fifty bucks, bought a subscription and joined my clan!
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 May '14 07:32
    I am surprised you did not realize that the common cold is incurable prior to going. You could have saved your fifty bucks, bought a subscription and joined my clan!
    I'l think about that.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '14 07:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'l think about that.
    Its only natural 😀
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 May '14 07:422 edits
    it means looking at the person as a whole, i mean how hard can it be to engage your imagination, sleeping patterns, diet, emotional state, environment, all kinds of things not associated with a purely materialistic approach. I was also given a course of antibiotics by my dentist and i ended up in hospital after taking a reaction to them, not sure wh ...[text shortened]... and they were forced to look for alternatives! A bitter pill to swallow if you pardon the pun!
    it means looking at the person as a whole, i mean how hard can it be to engage your imagination, sleeping patterns, diet, emotional state, environment, all kinds of things not associated with a purely materialistic approach.

Those things are psychological -right -so you saying homeopathy works by a placebo effect? Well, that doesn't require much 'imagination' to see how that "works" then! -it means it doesn't really work.
    I was also given a course of antibiotics by my dentist and i ended up in hospital after taking a reaction to them, not sure what your point is.

I am not sure what your point is here. So what? Medicines such as antibiotics have still saved millions of lives and saved many more lives than killed. You appear to be cherry picking rather than looking at both sides of the equation.
    No i disagree i have known person get better after attending a homeopath

Yet again you ignore the debunk I just said and use the same debunked inference. Please, read both; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo
    and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method especially the former and come back to us.

1, How do you know that he felt better only because of the placebo effect?

2, How do you know that he would have got better and just as fast WITHOUT the homeopathy?

and who prefer a much more gentle and sustained form of treatment.

well, I take it that giving someone harmless ineffective treatment is a “ much more gentle and sustained form of treatment” -unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Natural has everything to do with it,

Natural is rabies, malaria, and death.
    one only needs to look at the complicated effects and counter effects of the copious amounts of concoctions of chemicals that are given to people on a daily basis with varying degrees of success.

Every molecule in your body and the food you eat and the air you breath IS a chemical!
    And the operative word above is “success”.
    after 'the God of science' failed them

Now you are talking complete gibberish.

The conventional medicines that you pooh-poohs have saved many millions of lives while there is absolutely no evidence that homeopathy has ever saved a single life. I personally have already definitely been saved once and just possibly even twice by antibiotics. Do you deny this? What would you have against that?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '14 08:013 edits
    Originally posted by humy
    it means looking at the person as a whole, i mean how hard can it be to engage your imagination, sleeping patterns, diet, emotional state, environment, all kinds of things not associated with a purely materialistic approach.

Those things are psychological -right -so you saying homeopathy works by a placebo effect? Well, that doesn't ...[text shortened]... and just possibly even twice by antibiotics. Do you deny this? What would you have against that?
    No i am not saying that it works by a placebo effect and i resent your attempts to put your guilty fingers on my keyboard, in fact I call homeopathy as anything out with the realm of conventional materialism, like aromatherapy, or reflexology. This latter practice i have seen have amazing effects on aggressive psychiatric patients treated for many years without much success from conventional materialism.

No you are constructing a straw man, i have not said that antibiotics have not helped many persons and its quite frankly rather tedious to have to address points that i have not made rather than those that i have, not to mention irrational and illogical. For some people they have an extremely adverse effect and no its not cherry picking, its a statement of fact.

I have not ignored anything, you can cite as many studies complied by legions of materialists, debunks by peer reviewed papers until your hearts content, it does not negate that for some people homeopathy has worked.

If i am suffering stress and its having an adverse effect on my health, i could go to see a general practitioner, they may prescribe a mood lifting drug or i could go to a clinically trained aromatherapist and be massaged with essential oil, or go to the gym and then the sauna and feel awesome afterwards, now which form appears to you to be more healthy? taking pills or seeking an alternative natural remedy? I think its clear to all rational logically minded persons that a natural solution is better than taking pills to artificially induce a mood change and yet this scenario is carried out in countless doctors surgeries every single day!

'The God of Science', is an excellent phrase used to describe the way that science is treated almost as a deity, able to perform miraculous cures, no one may question it, it is omnipotent and an all encompassing megalith! We look to you the 'God of science', you are our only hope! in you we trust!

I deny nothing! and I have not 'pooh poohed', conventional medicine, i have merely pointed out that for some, it does not work or has adverse effects and they are forced top seek alternative treatment elsewhere. Now if you are finished building straw men arguments, ill be on my way!
    wah! wah! wah!
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 May '14 08:063 edits
    No i am not saying that it works by a placebo effect and i resent your attempts to put your guilty fingers on my keyboard, in fact I call homeopathy as anything out with the realm of conventional materialism, like aromatherapy, or reflexology. This latter practice i have seen have amazing effects on aggressive psychiatric patients treated for many y ...[text shortened]... ve treatment elsewhere. Now if you are finished building straw men arguments, ill be on my way!
    No i am not saying that it works by a placebo effect

So how does homeopathy work then? And don't bother saying vaguely by treating the "whole person" because that is so vague as to be completely meaningless. -plain English please....

The God of Science', is an excellent phrase used to describe the way that science is treated almost as a deity, able to perform miraculous cures,

Nobody treats science this way. You are talking nonsense yet again.

i have merely pointed out that for some, it does not work or has adverse effects and they are forced to seek alternative treatment elsewhere.

-which doesn't work. They are being ripped off.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '14 08:131 edit
    No i am not saying that it works by a placebo effect

So how does homeopathy work then?

The God of Science', is an excellent phrase used to describe the way that science is treated almost as a deity, able to perform miraculous cures,

Nobody treats science this way. You are talking nonsense yet again.

...[text shortened]... ek alternative treatment elsewhere.

-which doesn't work. They are being ripped off.
    Wow cheery picking your way through the posts, ignoring those parts which are uncomfortable for you to address, how expedient!

It depends what kind of homeopathy you are talking about. How does aromatherapy work, i cannot say, that it relaxes an individual and induces within them a state of well being is difficult to refute. Same with the gym and sauna, or reflexology.

So lets talk about prescribing mood altering drugs like anti depressants, or drugs for stress, do you think its not better to seek alternatives rather than have an individual prescribed long term use of drugs upon which they most likely will become dependent?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 May '14 09:33
    ... "less is more".... When applied to the the OP link here, it can
    mean something vaguely along the lines "a lot less words here
    results in more of a concise quick-to-read explanation of the truth"- .
    Exactly
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 May '14 12:342 edits
    Wow cheery picking your way through the posts, ignoring those parts which are uncomfortable for you to address, how expedient!

It depends what kind of homeopathy you are talking about. How does aromatherapy work, i cannot say, that it relaxes an individual and induces within them a state of well being is difficult to refute. Same with the gym an ...[text shortened]... individual prescribed long term use of drugs upon which they most likely will become dependent?
    How does aromatherapy work, i cannot say,

No, I said homeopathy, NOT aromatherapy. So, give me the biological explanation (note that “treating the whole person” is so vague as to be totally meaningless thus doesn't explain anything ) of how just ONE type of homeopathy works?
    If you cannot, then given the complete absence of scientific evidence that it works plus the placebo effect, how can you 'know' it works?
    So lets talk about prescribing mood altering drugs like anti depressants, or drugs for stress, do you think its not better to seek alternatives rather than have an individual prescribed long term use of drugs upon which they most likely will become dependent?

Why? What has this got to do with homeopathy? I have no opinion on anti depressants to talk about.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '14 13:32
    How does aromatherapy work, i cannot say,

No, I said homeopathy, NOT aromatherapy. So, give me the biological explanation (note that “treating the whole person” is so vague as to be totally meaningless thus doesn't explain anything ) of how just ONE type of homeopathy works?
    If you cannot, then given the complete absence of scientific ...[text shortened]... ? What has this got to do with homeopathy? I have no opinion on anti depressants to talk about.
    I have already stated that i regard all alternatives to a purely materialistic approach to be homeopathy, that includes alternative treatment like, aromatherapy, reflexology etc

If its such a vague statement then may i suggest that you try to engage your imagination and it just may broaden its meaning.

It has everything to do with finding alternatives to conventional materialistic methods!
  12. Germany
    Moves
    13 May '14 15:44
    I have already stated that i regard all alternatives to a purely materialistic approach to be homeopathy, that includes alternative treatment like, aromatherapy, reflexology etc

If its such a vague statement then may i suggest that you try to engage your imagination and it just may broaden its meaning.

It has everything to do with finding alternatives to conventional materialistic methods!
    Homeopathy is generally regarded as one specific kind of alternative treatment, not a general term for all of them. This particular method has not been shown to be effective in treating disease.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '14 15:48
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Homeopathy is generally regarded as one specific kind of alternative treatment, not a general term for all of them. This particular method has not been shown to be effective in treating disease.
    Sure but i don't know if you have noticed, i have my own definitions 😀
  14. Germany
    Moves
    13 May '14 15:49
    Sure but i don't know if you have noticed, i have my own definitions 😀
    In that case, I recommend zingle doo diddle bingle doof.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '14 16:44
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In that case, I recommend zingle doo diddle bingle doof.
    an excellent suggestion! Ill recommend it to our alchemist friends in the science forum 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree