how is empty space expanding?

how is empty space expanding?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 17
1 edit

My guess is that the expansion of space is due to there being a requirement for a net loss of information to drive entropy.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Jul 17

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Fairly well. Your post suggests to me an experience with a hallucinogenic substance, but not an understanding of physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum
FFS.
Do you read anything you post?
That describes exactly what I said.
Get a clue, please.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jul 17

I like that. What do the ripples represent? Dimensionality?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Jul 17

Originally posted by Christopher Albon
I like that. What do the ripples represent? Dimensionality?
Quite possibly.
What's weird--- in my mind--- is the wave-like quality, suggesting a linear baseline... as though on a plate.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Jul 17

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Quite possibly.
What's weird--- in my mind--- is the wave-like quality, suggesting a linear baseline... as though on a plate.
You could visualize it as a person holding a piece of taffy candy while walking. You pull the taffy apart say horizontally and squeeze it back together then pull it apart vertically and squeeze that back together. That is approximately what gravitational waves to to space, its a pulling apart and squeezing thing but a thousands of the width of a proton in amplitude which is why it took so long to detect after Weber made his first attempt with that 30 ton cylinder of aluminum covered with piezo electric detectors many moons ago.

mlb62

Moves
13 Jul 17

LIGO's arms are way too short..should have been at least 10 miles each..then they would have proven G-waves much sooner.

h

Moves
14 Jul 17
3 edits

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Quite possibly.
you, the flat-earther with nothing but delusional beliefs and cannot handle eclipses, obviously cannot possibly have the slightest idea what you are taking about when talking about physics (or anything else science-related for that matter). Please spare us your unintelligent ignorant gibberish.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
14 Jul 17

Originally posted by humy
you, the flat-earther with nothing but delusional beliefs and cannot handle eclipses, obviously cannot possibly have the slightest idea what you are taking about when talking about physics (or anything else science-related for that matter). Please spare us your unintelligent ignorant gibberish.
Rich.

Enlighten me: was that induction or deduction you used for such illuminating insight?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Jul 17

Originally posted by ogb
LIGO's arms are way too short..should have been at least 10 miles each..then they would have proven G-waves much sooner.
All well and good but it cost over 1 billion dollars as it is including a 200 million dollar upgrade and further upgrades coming. Now they are designing one to be used in space where the distance between mirrors can be anything you have the recourses to use.
If they have powerful enough lasers and large enough mirrors they could be 100 kilometers apart or more.

MB

Moves
17 Jul 17

Originally posted by ogb
what's the best guess as to why space is expanding? Dark energy is just other dimensions "pushing" on us. String theory says there must be 11 dimensions for the math to work.
My guess is time dilation. Wherever there is time dilation in which time passes slower, all matter moves toward it. This explains gravity (mass attracted to mass) but it may also apply to empty space and that is why I suspect time passes in the center of the universe faster than time passes at the outer reaches of the universe.
This conveniently explains the accelerated expansion much like the accelerated movement of mass toward a planet, moon or star.

h

Moves
17 Jul 17
5 edits

h

Moves
17 Jul 17
7 edits

Originally posted by Metal Brain
I suspect time passes in the center of the universe faster than time passes at the outer reaches of the universe..
all of what you suspect is totally unintelligent nonsense and only in part because there is no center of the universe.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Jul 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
All well and good but it cost over 1 billion dollars as it is including a 200 million dollar upgrade and further upgrades coming. Now they are designing one to be used in space where the distance between mirrors can be anything you have the recourses to use.
If they have powerful enough lasers and large enough mirrors they could be 100 kilometers apart or more.
In case you are interested:

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Jul 17

Originally posted by @humy
all of what you suspect is totally unintelligent nonsense and only in part because there is no center of the universe.
I'm not saying there is, but...

if there was a center of the universe, then.....

where would it be?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
20 Jul 17

I'm sure no analogy is perfect but I've always heard the expansion of the universe is kinda like a balloon or it's a good way to show kids anyway... Draw your galaxies on the surface of the balloon then blow it up and you see them moving away and the universe expanding outward. Of course this doesn't explain why?

Manny