1. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    12 Jul '17
    Moves
    1824
    14 Jul '17 19:513 edits
    Any ideas?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    14 Jul '17 20:31
    Originally posted by Christopher Albon
    Any ideas?
    You mean you are god and want to go about creating the "perfect' universe? If so, define perfect. That is step #1.
  3. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    12 Jul '17
    Moves
    1824
    14 Jul '17 21:512 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You mean you are god and want to go about creating the "perfect' universe? If so, define perfect. That is step #1.
    If you mean the metaphoric 'you' then 'yes'. I'm a polytheist so don't believe in God as a singular entity.

    For example I would say that never leaving a 'man' (any entity) down would be a very important pre-requisite.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    14 Jul '17 22:05
    Originally posted by Christopher Albon
    If you mean the metaphoric 'you' then 'yes'. I'm a polytheist so don't believe in God as a singular entity.

    For example I would say that never leaving a 'man' (any entity) down would be a very important pre-requisite.
    You mean you would make mankind forever healthy and immortal or some such?
    BTW, my wife is a shaman, very polytheistic. Are you first nation? My wife is part Potowatamy indian, her granny grew up on the res. Potowatamies are kind up snikety about letting half breeds in as part of their nation so she can't get any first nation perks, little of that there are. I think my dad was part indian too but he would never talk about it and got killed by robbers in the Salton sea area where he, my mom and my step dad had a mom and pop grocerty, gang came in and shot all of them, killed my dad, sent a bullet down the spine of my step dad which came close to crippling him and a grazing shot to my mom's head. They were never charged with the murder and one of them actually came into the store a few months later bragging about how they really got my family. I was living in Arizona ATT and could do nothing but watch dad die. I heard they tried to rob a bank and got caught and sent to prison and my brother has friends in low places and the story goes they accidentally got killed in jail. Poor folks, I would have done it myself if I could have but someone else beat us to it.

    Anyway, it sounds like you are designing a universe made specifically for mankind. Does that mean no life elsewhere? They think now that life existed at one time on Mars and exists as we speak in the oceans deep underground on some moons of Jupiter and Saturn, like Europa. That would be out the window in YOUR universe?
  5. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    12 Jul '17
    Moves
    1824
    15 Jul '17 00:464 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You mean you would make mankind forever healthy and immortal or some such?
    BTW, my wife is a shaman, very polytheistic. Are you first nation? My wife is part Potowatamy indian, her granny grew up on the res. Potowatamies are kind up snikety about letting half breeds in as part of their nation so she can't get any first nation perks, little of that there ar ...[text shortened]... on some moons of Jupiter and Saturn, like Europa. That would be out the window in YOUR universe?
    I am so sorry to hear you have lived through that horror. In a perfect universe we maybe could bring back our dead in some form or another and learn to forgive and provide guidance to those capable of such acts.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    15 Jul '17 05:10
    A Perfect Universe would be a universe without human beings.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    15 Jul '17 06:141 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    A Perfect Universe would be a universe without human beings.
    or with only non-moronic human beings but with male humans not having their balls on the outside of the body
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    15 Jul '17 06:43
    Originally posted by humy
    or with only non-moronic human beings but with male humans not having their balls on the outside of the body
    Mankind as is now is collectively moron and destructive.
    A universe cannot be perfect with human beings in it.
  9. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    12 Jul '17
    Moves
    1824
    15 Jul '17 08:441 edit
    Human beings are intrinsically good but have been led astray is all. It's all for a matter of course though. We simply need to know we're not going to get the Mick taken out of us for being nice.The human brain is essentially a reward mechanism. We do things because we get a pay-off. We are selfish because we have been taught that this gets us more but that is a lie. There is a better way of working where we ALL get more and that's by working together.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    15 Jul '17 10:375 edits
    Originally posted by Christopher Albon
    We are selfish because we have been taught that this gets us more but that is a lie.
    I am strangely unaware of the existence of this false teaching and thus 'lie'. I for one haven't ever been taught, at least not explicitly, to be selfish (to be selfish because it gives me 'more' ); If anything, quite the opposite (but I don't pretend to be without selfishness)
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    15 Jul '17 10:41
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Mankind as is now is collectively moron and destructive.
    A universe cannot be perfect with human beings in it.
    agreed.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    evolved
    Serengeti
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    15 Jul '17 10:57
    Originally posted by Christopher Albon
    Human beings are intrinsically good but ...
    wtf
  13. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    15 Jul '17 11:35
    Originally posted by Christopher Albon
    Human beings are intrinsically good but have been led astray is all.
    No, they are not.
    Human beings are evolved game player experts.
    The essential components of game theory are:
    1. Selfishness may be the best strategy if there is no punishment for it.
    2. If there is punishment for selfishness, cooperation may be better.
    3. Discourage other people from being selfish.

    The human brain is essentially a reward mechanism.
    Its more complicated than that. There are a lot of evolved tendencies and environmental influences and general variation too.

    We are selfish because we have been taught that this gets us more but that is a lie.
    Tell that to the worlds billionaires. They'll laugh at you.

    There is a better way of working where we ALL get more and that's by working together.
    That may make us better off on average, but selfishness can still win out for individuals if there is insufficient punishment for it.
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    15 Jul '17 11:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Mankind as is now is collectively moron and destructive.
    A universe cannot be perfect with human beings in it.
    The problem here is how you value things. Value is only meaningful if humans exist. Humans are only 'destructive' in human terms.
    Perfection is a human judgement too, so a universe without humans to judge it, cannot be perfect.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    15 Jul '17 12:171 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, they are not.
    Human beings are evolved game player experts.
    The essential components of game theory are:
    1. Selfishness may be the best strategy if there is no punishment for it.
    2. If there is punishment for selfishness, cooperation may be better.
    3. Discourage other people from being selfish.

    [b]The human brain is essentially a reward mechan ...[text shortened]... e, but selfishness can still win out for individuals if there is insufficient punishment for it.
    Terms are relative.
    But in a world with perfect honesty and absolute honesty, you wouldn't find a single selfish person who was also happy.
    Same holds true in this one, too.
Back to Top