1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 02:30
    I believe there should be a forum named Hypothesis & Theory Forum and maybe a Philosophy Forum because most of what I see on here is not real science.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 12:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe there should be a forum named Hypothesis & Theory Forum and maybe a Philosophy Forum because most of what I see on here is not real science.
    Yes, that is a joke, RJ Hinds calling the shots on what is science and what is not.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 16:06
    Hypothesis: RJHinds' secret fetish is downward pointing thumbs.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 16:47
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Hmmm, ok so we have a hypothesis that RJHinds [hereto referred to as "The Subject"]
    likes receiving, and seeks out thumbs down votes.

We therefore now need an experiment that will seek to falsify this hypothesis.

Do we have any proposals?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 17:08
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Hmmm, ok so we have a hypothesis that RJHinds [hereto referred to as "The Subject"]
    likes receiving, and seeks out thumbs down votes.

We therefore now need an experiment that will seek to falsify this hypothesis.

Do we have any proposals?
    I guess the hypothesis could be falsified by finding a post by The Subject which is not absolutely retarded, revolting or otherwise reprehensible. The search is still on.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 17:082 edits
    Hypothesis: This is no more than a guess or opinion without any evidence. Once it is investigated and there is a little evidence then it may be called a theory.

Science is the proof something is true by repetitive testing and observation by independant researchers and always obtaining the ssme result.

We can have our opinions about what these investigators are claiming to discover, but nobody's opinion is science. But there are some people on here that seem to think their opinion belongs in the Science Forum and other's opinions should be banned from the Science Forum. The truth is nobody's opinion is science.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 17:14
    I guess the hypothesis could be falsified by finding a post by The Subject which is not absolutely retarded, revolting or otherwise reprehensible. The search is still on.
    Ahh, but would that falsify the hypothesis.

The hypothesis is that the subject likes thumbs down... not that the subject ONLY likes thumbs down.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 18:49
    Ahh, but would that falsify the hypothesis.

The hypothesis is that the subject likes thumbs down... not that the subject ONLY likes thumbs down.
    Your hypothesis is a logical fallacy. I will not try to explain why, because you have shown not to accept correction because of your arrogant and elitist attitude.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 19:38
    Your hypothesis is a logical fallacy. I will not try to explain why, because you have shown not to accept correction because of your arrogant and elitist attitude.
    So it is your hypothesis that he needs correction. Let's see your proof, take it beyond the guessing part.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 20:29
    No I wont accept your 'correction' because it's wrong.

The original hypothesis was "Hypothesis: RJHinds' secret fetish is downward pointing thumbs."

There are no logical fallacies in that.

The reason being that there is no logical argument being made for there to be a fallacy in.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 22:1310 edits
    No I wont accept your 'correction' because it's wrong.

The original hypothesis was "Hypothesis: RJHinds' secret fetish is downward pointing thumbs."

There are no logical fallacies in that.

The reason being that there is no logical argument being made for there to be a fallacy in.
    I take it then either he fails to understand the difference between a claim and an argument or that fails to understand that all logical fallacies are arguments, or, much more likely I think, he fails to understand both of these things -such is his ignorance and inability (by choice ) of understanding even the most extremely basic rudimentary knowledge. I guess he chooses to not understand this because he knows that if he doesn't choose this, he would not believe his creationist religion that he desperately wants to believe.

I think schools should teach all children very basic logic (such as this above and more ) from a young age and make very sure that they, at near as possible, all understand it and completely so that, as near as possible, they will understand basic logic as adults so that one day we stop getting dangerously ignorant adult people.
    I believe this would be a perfectly practical policy as even people with low IQ like his must be able to learn very basic logic when young if really MADE to. The kind of very basic logic I am talking about really is easy to understand and doesn't require any significant cleverness and I would guess would take up less than 1% of the education time at school for most children so it would be well worth it. I remember effortlessly learning it as a child (from books and from my brother ) despite my schools never teaching logic!
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 01:30
    Originally posted by humy
    I take it then either he fails to understand the difference between a claim and an argument or that fails to understand that all logical fallacies are arguments, or, much more likely I think, he fails to understand both of these things -such is his ignorance and inability (by choice ) of understanding even the most extremely basic ru ...[text shortened]... earning it as a child (from books and from my brother ) despite my schools never teaching logic!
    Maybe that is why you are so illogical.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 13:19
    Maybe that is why you are so illogical.
    And of course, you are SO logical believing the Earth to be 6000 years old.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.....
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 13:291 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And of course, you are SO logical believing the Earth to be 6000 years old.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.....
    he doesn't knows what logical actually is -because he's never been it.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 15:09
    Originally posted by humy
    he doesn't knows what logical actually is -because he's never been it.
    Logical and RJ Hinds, an oxymoron.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree