If Jupiter was the moon...

If Jupiter was the moon...

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p
Please Pay Attention

Lethabong

Moves
09 Jul 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
“May destroy”?? I think it would most certainly be game over on planet Earth.

But I’m just thinking about the hypothetical visual impact of something that large being that close, albeit still at 250,000 miles.
Regarding the visual impact on everyday life on earth in such a scenario, I'm wondering whether Jupiter would blot out the sun for us, and how long that period would be, in earth days, or weeks, or months.
Suppose it would depend on if we become a moon to Jupiter...

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
09 Jul 18

Originally posted by @ponderable
Probably the earth would be pulled into Jupiter quite fast anyway
Why would that happen?

p
Please Pay Attention

Lethabong

Moves
09 Jul 18

Originally posted by @deepthought
Why would that happen?
Jupiter's gravitational force is much greater than earth's ?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
09 Jul 18

Originally posted by @pawnpaw
Jupiter's gravitational force is much greater than earth's ?
If the Earth was in orbit around Jupiter, and had been for the entire existence of the solar system, then there's no particular reason to think it would be pulled into Jupiter. However, we are discussing a counterfactual and ponderable might have assumed Jupiter, complete with existing moons just materialising near to the earth. In that case any number of outcomes are possible, depending on the distance and relative speeds, where the Jovian moons are in their orbits, and where the moon is in her orbit. It would be more like a cosmological pool break with moons flying all over the place than a simple two body collision.

Planet Rain

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Other than us being is serious harms way...

Would it (pretty much) fill the sky from horizon to horizon?

I am guessing it would fill the width of a meter rule held at arms length.

Any better, more mathematical, guesses?
This video shows what various planets would look like from Earth if they replaced the Moon:

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @deepthought
If the Earth was in orbit around Jupiter, and had been for the entire existence of the solar system, then there's no particular reason to think it would be pulled into Jupiter. However, we are discussing a counterfactual and ponderable might have assumed Jupiter, complete with existing moons just materialising near to the earth. In that case any numbe ...[text shortened]... a cosmological pool break with moons flying all over the place than a simple two body collision.
what I did was solving the geometrical Problem without any plan to make that happen. I suspect it would cost a lot of calcuklation to obtain a workable trajectory to bring the Earth that near to Jupiter and it would most probably be destroyed by the attempt...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Jul 18

Originally posted by @ponderable
what I did was solving the geometrical Problem without any plan to make that happen. I suspect it would cost a lot of calcuklation to obtain a workable trajectory to bring the Earth that near to Jupiter and it would most probably be destroyed by the attempt...
There have been thousands of exo planets found now and most of them have gas giants close to the parent sun, and it seems likely our solar system started much the same but somehow the gas giants gravitated to orbits a billion miles and more away from the sun. It would be interesting indeed if we could go back in time 4 billion years and see just where the big guys were ATT.