1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 18:071 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Suppose peace broke out on Earth and the economy soared. The UN elects you as head of the "create new cool stuff" division. Every nation is taxed to pay for your technological wonders. Your genius is recognized.

What could you make, or accomplish? What could humanity really do?

Some ideas...

Cryogenic storage of humans and other animals a gravity a la Niven's Ringworld or the Haloes from the Halo games.

Any other ideas?
    1. a toaster that works perfectly.
    2. a mobile phone that isnt a camera and MP3 player.
    3. a washing machine that pairs your socks.
    4. an intelligent TV that switches off for crap programs. (ie a cardboard box)
    5. a home gym that works in your sleep

Oh and a BIG F*** OFF RAY GUN 😀
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 18:58
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Well, that was my whole point - effort would need to be put into something that would increase those resources. It's not an entirely realistic discussion, is it?
    Not in THIS century. The biggest problem is we have to SURVIVE this century with science gains intact in order to still have a space program of some kind before the end of this century. Things can still go to hell in a handbasket real quick, like the climate dudes saying an ice age can come on in one summer or so. If that happens you can kiss the space program goodbye and at least half the population.

For instance, what would happen to the US if (or should I say when) some terrorist group gets hold of a nuke and sets one off in DC half way between the pentagon and the whitehouse and another at the same time in the heart of wall street? How would we even survive such an attack? Millions dead, no wall street, no pentagon, no government?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 02:50
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why so many weapons?
    Because its actually a list of possible future technologies in general and like a typical male nerd I tend to pick up on cool weapon ideas.

http://athousandyoung.blogspot.com/2009/11/future-technologies.html

I just used the world peace idea to inspire thought about what is physically possible but still amazing technology of the future.

For the weapons, instead of world peace, the Buggers invade, and you are to equip the United Earth military...

The point is it's a united planet...the upper limit of what is conceivably possible.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 13:20
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Because its actually a list of possible future technologies in general and like a typical male nerd I tend to pick up on cool weapon ideas.

http://athousandyoung.blogspot.com/2009/11/future-technologies.html

I just used the world peace idea to inspire thought about what is physically possible but still amazing technology of the future.

For t ...[text shortened]... tary...

The point is it's a united planet...the upper limit of what is conceivably possible.
    Getting to that united planet thing is another story....
  5. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    18 May '10 03:18
    A planet where people are happy with who they are, greed is eliminated. The need to keep aquiring possesions disappears.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 May '10 13:42
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    A planet where people are happy with who they are, greed is eliminated. The need to keep aquiring possesions disappears.
    I can't wait for this brave new world of communal underwear.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    18 May '10 17:23
    Ewwww
  8. Shanghai
    Moves
    21 May '10 14:10
    I would make a chip that goes into the brain that has a similar effect to alchohol in that it would give everyone beer goggles and make everyone look beautiful to each other.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 May '10 17:18
    Future anthropologists will be fascinated!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree