1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 22:04
    Originally posted by Fred Ryan
    "Dear Mr, Ryan,

Thanks for your note below. Contrary to popular suspicion, what
    matters is not ideas. Ideas are a dime a dozen.

What matters most are testable predictions of unknown phenomena
    derived from those ideas If you produce such a list of predictions
    from your ideas I will be happy to offer comment.

Thank you for your interest ...[text shortened]... niverse theory? After all, he does say that galaxies are believed to be moving in orbits.
    I still don't understand what your theory is.

Can you explain it in more detail?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 06:301 edit
    Originally posted by Fred Ryan
    I seem to look at this in a simple way. The stars tracked in orbit around what was prematurely termed a Super Massive Black Hole, orbit the center of their galaxy more often than those stars in the periphery.
    What you don't seem to understand, is that gravity works both ways. Objects rotate around their common centre of gravity, not around a given object. It only appears that way when one object is significantly more massive than the rest.
    So you seem to be observing rotation about a point in space and assuming that suggests the existence of a massive object at that point - which it doesn't.

Scientists know that certain phenomena such as galaxies, clusters etc are are rotating around a given point in space, and that that point in space is therefore the centre of gravity. When they cannot find all the matter to explain the given rotation, they term the unknown matter 'dark matter' because they cant see it. But there is no immediate reason to believe the unknown matter is at the centre, and in fact there are ways to determine whether or not it is at the centre by observing the motion of bodies, and it has already been pointed out in this thread that for the case of the galaxy, such motion suggests that dark matter is in a cloud throughout the galaxy - not at the centre.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 12:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What you don't seem to understand, is that gravity works both ways. Objects rotate around their common centre of gravity, not around a given object. It only appears that way when one object is significantly more massive than the rest.
    So you seem to be observing rotation about a point in space and assuming that suggests the existence of a massive object ...[text shortened]... ch motion suggests that dark matter is in a cloud throughout the galaxy - not at the centre.
    However most if not all galaxies do appear to have a massive black hole in the centre.

With something like 0.2% of the total stellar galactic mass.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 06:13
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    However most if not all galaxies do appear to have a massive black hole in the centre.

With something like 0.2% of the total stellar galactic mass.
    Which suggests that we are able to determine its mass based on the motion of the stars around it?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 13:24
    Which suggests that we are able to determine its mass based on the motion of the stars around it?
    Basically yes, although it gets more complicated for extra galactic black holes.

The one in the centre of our galaxy has several stars orbiting it at a significant fraction of
    the speed of light, which gives us a very good handle on it's mass. (about 4.1 million solar
    masses, in a volume of about 6.5 light hours across)

The fact that black holes in the centre of galaxies appear to have a mass proportional to the
    mass of the galaxy they are in suggests that they form with the galaxy and don't form first and
    then form a galaxy around them.

Theory and modelling seem to agree with this and suggest mechanism's for it, however the science
    is far from certain.
  6. Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 20:49
    So you seem to be observing rotation about a point in space and assuming that suggests the existence of a massive object ...[text shortened]... ch motion suggests that dark matter is in a cloud throughout the galaxy - not at the centre.
    Scientists know that certain phenomena such as galaxies, clusters etc are are rotating around a given point in space...

Where would I begin to find these scientists? Everywhere I've looked so far has ended with, scientists think galaxies orbit each other. I haven't found anyone who think clusters of galaxies are in orbit and if such scientists exist, then there's the information I need. I just need to know who they are and then I'll find out what they used to form that opinion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree