1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 12:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Only on condition that the '=' does not mean quite the same as it does in normal equations. In this case the '=' is defined slightly differently.
    So now you have a more free interpretation of the "=", right?
    Now meaning... like... almost equal?

Do Americans have other mathematics compared to the rest of the world...?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 12:34
    I am being serious. In this instance the final 'sum' of the sequence is defined as being the limit of the partial sums of the sequence. It is not the case that an infinite number of terms are actually added to give exactly 1.
    What about equations like d²y/dx² + ky = 0, does '=' have its usual meaning there?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 19:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So now you have a more free interpretation of the "=", right?
    No, I am saying it has a specific definition in that instance that is different from the one usually used. This is quite normal in mathematics. They symbols for addition and multiplication don't always mean the same thing either.

Now meaning... like... almost equal?
    No. Meaning 'the sequence converges to'.

I am not american. Are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_(mathematics)

In mathematics, given an infinite sequence of numbers { an }, a series is informally the result of adding all those terms together: a1 + a2 + a3 + · · ·.

Note the use of the word 'informally'.
    Formally, no such claim should ever be made.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 19:55
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    What about equations like d²y/dx² + ky = 0, does '=' have its usual meaning there?
    I guess it depends what you understand by d²y/dx²
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 20:06
    No, I am saying it has a specific definition in that instance that is different from the one usually used. This is quite normal in mathematics. They symbols for addition and multiplication don't always mean the same thing either.

[b]Now meaning... like... almost equal?

No. Meaning 'the sequence converges to'.

Do Americans have other mathemat ...[text shortened]... . [/quote]
    Formally, no such claim should ever be made.
    I see what you're getting at. I think that it is not the equal sign that's any different from normal, but what is meant by 'sum'. The situation is similar with derivatives and for that matter integrals, where the object is defined by either a limit or some kind or a delta-epsilon argument. But it's the object that is defined that way, the equals is just equal.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 07:25
    I see what you're getting at. I think that it is not the equal sign that's any different from normal, but what is meant by 'sum'. The situation is similar with derivatives and for that matter integrals, where the object is defined by either a limit or some kind or a delta-epsilon argument. But it's the object that is defined that way, the equals is just equal.
    Yes, I agree, that's a better way of putting it.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 16:21
    I am not american. Are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_(mathematics)

In mathematics, given an infinite sequence of numbers { an }, a series is informally the result of adding all those terms together: a1 + a2 + a3 + · · ·.

Formally, no such claim should ever be made.[/b]
    FabianFnasDo Americans have other mathematics compared to the rest of the world...?
    twhitehead: I am not american. Are you?

So your part of the world uses other definitions, and are vague about definitions.

In your link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_(mathematics) I cannot find any alternative definition of the "=" symbol.

In accordance of yor alternative definition of the "="-symbol, you don't believe that 0.111... isn't exactly one ninth, only almost, right?
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 20:52
    The symbol (and it's just a symbol) a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · · is taken by mathematicians to denote an infinite series, which in turn is taken to be the limit of the partial sums:

a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · · := lim(a_1 + · · · + a_n),

where the symbol := means "is defined to be equal to." Of course, the limit of a sequence of partial sums does not always exist as a real or complex number.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 08:21
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    The symbol (and it's just a symbol) a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · · is taken by mathematicians to denote an infinite series, which in turn is taken to be the limit of the partial sums:

a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · · := lim(a_1 + · · · + a_n),

where the symbol := means "is defined to be equal to." Of course, the limit of a sequence of partial sums does not always exist as a real or complex number.
    So you define the symbol ":=", fine with me.
    But the symbol "=" has another meaning, well defined, not sloppy.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 18:08
    Speaking of things infinite, this is a cartoon:

http://xkcd.com/804/
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 21:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So you define the symbol ":=", fine with me.
    But the symbol "=" has another meaning, well defined, not sloppy.
    No, := means the same as =, to indicate "the value of the quantity on the left is the same as the value of the quantity on the right," only it makes clear that the equality is set by definition. After all, the symbol

a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · ·,

as with most any symbol in mathematics, has no meaning until it is given one by a definition. Thus we say that a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · · equals the value of the limit of the sequence of partial sums of the sequence {a_n} by definition. In practice := is seldom used, because context makes clear when = is given by definition. So we have:

s = a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · ·

if and only if

    n
        Σ a_k → s as n → ∞
     k=1
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 22:00
    Speaking of things infinite, this is a cartoon:

http://xkcd.com/804/
    Nice. 😉

And from there I discovered this one: http://xkcd.com/730/
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 16:14
    No, := means the same as =, to indicate "the value of the quantity on the left is the same as the value of the quantity on the right," only it makes clear that the equality is set by definition. After all, the symbol

a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · ·,

as with most any symbol in mathematics, has no meaning until it is given one by a definition. Thus w ...[text shortened]... have:

s = a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + · · ·

if and only if

    n
        Σ a_k → s as n → ∞
     k=1
    Of course in physics we'll happily take a series, each of whose terms is a formally divergent integral, and claim the whole thing converges.
  14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 18:34
    Of course in physics we'll happily take a series, each of whose terms is a formally divergent integral, and claim the whole thing converges.
    I'm sure that's one of the reasons why I decided not to pursue physics beyond the undergraduate level. I'm an order freak, and the seemingly chaotic and cavalier treatment of the Queen of the Sciences at the roguish hands of physicists drove me crazy.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 20:23
    I'm sure that's one of the reasons why I decided not to pursue physics beyond the undergraduate level. I'm an order freak, and the seemingly chaotic and cavalier treatment of the Queen of the Sciences at the roguish hands of physicists drove me crazy.
    The classic example of that kind of game going well is the Dirac delta function, which mathematicians initially dismissed as invalid. Happily Dirac wasn't to be put off and as he continued to get good results with it they were forced to take it seriously and the field of distributions was born.

In a sense the Millennium prize for showing that Yang-Mills theories exist is a game of showing that the functional integrals we get correlation functions out of are well defined. Theoretical physics is not applied maths - applied maths is (or should) involve taking well defined mathematical theorems and applying them to the real world in a consistent way. Theoretical physics involves taking the real world and seeing what theories we can make up to describe it. When things go well new fields of mathematics open up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree