1. The Smoke
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 12:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Ravens have been shown now to pass the mirror test, previously only chimps and apes and maybe a few other primates. I think dolphins also pass that test. Interestingly, chimps lose the ability when they get past their version of middle age.
    it's magpies, actually. no mention of ravens, at least not according to Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_test

it does not say they had failed either 😉
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 19:10
    im intelligent
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 00:00
    Originally posted by Renars
    it's magpies, actually. no mention of ravens, at least not according to Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_test

it does not say they had failed either 😉
    All the corvids are intelligent but ravens are the most so - they more readily display problem solving abilities and the use of fashioning tools to achieve an objective. They will also work on their own or in groups to achieve an objective.

My expertise with them is not limited to references on Wiki about mirror tests, after all. 😉
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 08:40
    My cat is fascinated by mirrors. I don't know if he would pass the test though. He doesn't seem to think that the cat in the mirror is another cat, but he does seem to be concerned about there being another me in there and he has once tried to jump through the mirror.
  5. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 09:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My cat is fascinated by mirrors. I don't know if he would pass the test though. He doesn't seem to think that the cat in the mirror is another cat, but he does seem to be concerned about there being another me in there and he has once tried to jump through the mirror.
    It's a simple test, try it on him.

I would predict a fail but you never know until you try it.

--- Penguin.
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 05:07
    I admit to having some doubts about the validity of the mirror test - if an animal is smart enough, how is it unaware that you've placed a dot where it can't see without a mirror? I think there are probably much better gauges of intelligence.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 08:08
    Originally posted by Penguin
    It's a simple test, try it on him.

I would predict a fail but you never know until you try it.

--- Penguin.
    It is simple if you get an immediate pass. Concluding a fail is not nearly so easy.
    I think that if the test was conducted thoroughly he would pass.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 08:25
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I admit to having some doubts about the validity of the mirror test - if an animal is smart enough, how is it unaware that you've placed a dot where it can't see without a mirror? I think there are probably much better gauges of intelligence.
    Surely these intelligence tests rest on somewhat anthropocentric assumptions.

An intelligent but blind animal wouldn't pass the mirror test ... As for the disembodied entities constantly swarming at the limits of our perception, how could they possibly have bodily awareness?
  9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 09:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is simple if you get an immediate pass. Concluding a fail is not nearly so easy.
    I think that if the test was conducted thoroughly he would pass.
    Oh I agree. Getting a fail does not mean you can conclude a fail. The subject may simply not be bothered by the knowledge that they have a mark on their forehead.

Indeed, getting a pass does not necessarily mean you can conclude a pass. The subject appears to be aware that the mark is on themselves, and show all appearances of being self-aware but it could just be an unconcious, reflexive response.

Does this mean the test is unscientific: neither a pass nor a fail can be taken as absolute proof for or against? I think both pass and fail can be taken as strong evidence though if the test is done rigorously, but I don't have the time to justify that assertion.

--- Penguin

--- Penguin.
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 01:13
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage

An intelligent but blind animal wouldn't pass the mirror test ... As for the disembodied entities constantly swarming at the limits of our perception, how could they possibly have bodily awareness?
    You do have a point there....
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 04:481 edit

Doesn't all human knowledge rest on anthropocentric assumptions?

Maybe there really ARE magic invisible elves moving the hands of the clock in addition to the electricity. Such forces are ignored in anthropocentric physics simply because we find it easy to detect electricity but are blind to elf power.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 05:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Doesn't all human knowledge rest on anthropocentric assumptions?

Maybe there really ARE magic invisible elves moving the hands of the clock in addition to the electricity. Such forces are ignored in anthropocentric physics simply because we find it easy to detect electricity but are blind to elf power.
    No, stuff you measure is not so bound. Sure, the units are arbitrary, but measuring the length of your carpet is not really bound up in your idea of the carpet vis-a-vis yourself. But applying measurement to a suspect concept like 'intelligence' is fraught with, uh, considerations ...

There's no magic about the elves, they're just invisible. Perhaps they will favour you with an audience one of these fine days. They have many questions just for you ...
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 13:49
    Oh, a tool-using octopus!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091214-octopus-carries-coconuts-coconut-carrying.html
  14. Joined
    15 Jul '09
    Moves
    25 Dec '09 06:43
    Originally posted by Badwater
    use a laser pointer
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Dec '09 09:22
    Oh, a tool-using octopus!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091214-octopus-carries-coconuts-coconut-carrying.html
    Is it evolving into a snail?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree