1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 17:26
    I have a complicated problem. I have some pictures I just found on a CD I made as a backup, but the file extension is .mix which turns out to be from MS Picture it! 2000.
    So I found the install CD's and tried to load them so I could access the pics but it said it has to see IE5 for some stupid reason. So is there any way I can retrofit IE5 just for the purpose of getting Picture it to work? The idea being after the pictures are converted to JPEG I can delete all that picture it and IE5 crap. I went online to look for IE5 copies but didn't find anything useful. Did IE ever come on a CD? I only got it as a download. Thanks in advance.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 18:19
    IE would either come as part of the operating system or as a download. I can't remember the last time I ever saw it on a CD.

If you haven't already; I would try searching for an independent picture converter. Sometimes someone has come up with something like this already.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 19:56
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    IE would either come as part of the operating system or as a download. I can't remember the last time I ever saw it on a CD.

If you haven't already; I would try searching for an independent picture converter. Sometimes someone has come up with something like this already.
    Well I actually found a site that allows multiple downloads of just about all the IE versions, got it loaded, except the Picture it! 2000 installer still didn't like it, it couldn't connect for some reason. I know IE5 works, I started it and it went to the net just fine. So that didn't do it anyway.
    I did find a more updated version of picture it, I will try that next. I will also look for independent picture converters like you suggested.
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 22:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I have a complicated problem. I have some pictures I just found on a CD I made as a backup, but the file extension is .mix which turns out to be from MS Picture it! 2000.
    So I found the install CD's and tried to load them so I could access the pics but it said it has to see IE5 for some stupid reason. So is there any way I can retrofit IE5 just for the pur ...[text shortened]... ind anything useful. Did IE ever come on a CD? I only got it as a download. Thanks in advance.
    If you want your IE & Picture it! installs to be completely reversable, try something like Sandboxie. You install and run your program(s) in a sandbox that isolates them from the rest of the machine. Once your converted your files to jpegs, extract them from the sandbox using Sandboxies tools, then delete the sandbox.

--- Penguin.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 23:47
    Originally posted by Penguin
    If you want your IE & Picture it! installs to be completely reversable, try something like Sandboxie. You install and run your program(s) in a sandbox that isolates them from the rest of the machine. Once your converted your files to jpegs, extract them from the sandbox using Sandboxies tools, then delete the sandbox.

--- Penguin.
    Well I installed the later version of picture it v 7 and it loaded ok but when I tried taking the .mix extension images and opening them with picture it, an error message come on saying it couldn't open the file. Back to square one. So what is sandbox? Never heard of it. I guess goog'l help out there, instant expert. So if it isolates the stuff inside, it must use techniques like in Norton anti virus where it isolates the virus and renders it. So now I am left with a bunch of crap I don't need, have to send IE5 and such to the recycle bin.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jul '08 03:34
    Problem solved. I found a great image file format converter, not free, 50 bucks but it has over 800 image formats in its bag of tricks and can do other things like re-size resolutions and such. I entered photo's in one of Norlys' photo tournie's and one of the problems for everyone was image re-sizing. This programs, called Image Converter Plus, does it all. It does not have .sig though, which is the Printshop image format, but I have printshop anyway so that's not a big deal. I loaded IC plus and all the .mix files it just converted straight to jpeg, or any one of a dozen others had I wanted. It seems to be a great program! It also converts PDF files among many others.
  7. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '08 21:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well I installed the later version of picture it v 7 and it loaded ok but when I tried taking the .mix extension images and opening them with picture it, an error message come on saying it couldn't open the file. Back to square one. So what is sandbox? Never heard of it. I guess goog'l help out there, instant expert. So if it isolates the stuff inside, it m ...[text shortened]... ow I am left with a bunch of crap I don't need, have to send IE5 and such to the recycle bin.
    Good to hear you sorted out you problems.

Sandboxie runs programs in a virtual sandbox. If the program attempts to create or modify a file or alter the registry, that attemps is caught and diverted to a buffer. Any future reads go to the buffer instead. This includes installing programs so you could run the IE5 and PictureIt installers and they would not touch the real system. You could then run the installed IE5 or Picture It from within the sandbox. When you were done, or if the whole exercise failed, just delete the sandbox and all your system changes are gone.

Note that there are other sandboxing programs, but Sandboxie works well for me and is free.

--- Penguin.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jul '08 23:59
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Good to hear you sorted out you problems.

Sandboxie runs programs in a virtual sandbox. If the program attempts to create or modify a file or alter the registry, that attemps is caught and diverted to a buffer. Any future reads go to the buffer instead. This includes installing programs so you could run the IE5 and PictureIt installers and they would not ...[text shortened]... here are other sandboxing programs, but Sandboxie works well for me and is free.

--- Penguin.
    Thanks for the input, I'll remember sandboxie, wasn't sure if you spelled it right but that is the spelling. Thanks again. Don.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree