1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Dec '16 21:3816 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/occam.html

The most useful statement of the principle for scientists is
    "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

If this definition of Occam's razor is true, then you are stuck.
    how so?

You put your faith in one theory over the other.

No faith required; just logic and/or evidence.

It is something that you believe in that can't be proven.

What do I believe in that "can't be proven"?

I have no problem with something that can be demonstrated to be true even if it is simply an unproven theory

That is a self-contradiction.
    How can you have a theory "demonstrated to be true" that is "an unproven theory"? If it is demonstrated to be true then that demonstration proves the theory therefore it isn't an unproven theory.
    It is interesting that you assert here you "have no problem" with something that is self-contradictory.
    But then to jump to other things which are not repeatable,

how is goddidit repeatable? How it God created the universe or the Earth or that being invisible and therefore unobservable ghosts that can float through solid walls etc experimentally repeatable?
    In contrast, the laws of physics and many things in the natural world can be observed. Actually, to 'repeat' it isn't scientifically necessary for it to be scientific as long as you can directly or indirectly observe it and it doesn't matter how indirect that observation is.
    We cannot make a star explode in an experiment thus it isn't 'repeatable' in that narrow sense and yet via observation it is still a scientific fact that stars can explode.

Only a complete idiot would say that since you believe in gravity you must believe that God does not exist and the super natural does not exist.

Nobody I am aware of, including I, says or believes this. Not sure how 'gravity' relates to this but, with or without the law of gravity, I don't even agree to just "you must believe that God does not exist and the super natural does not exist."
    -why this "must"? You can rationally assign a very low probability to it given logic, lack-of-evidence, more logical explanations, etc, just like you can can rationally assign a very low probability to the law of gravity being false given logic, evidence etc, but that probability is still non-zero and there is no "must" believe it is false. Totally rational non-self-contradictory beliefs about the external world (as opposed to those of purely mathematical/deductive truths) are always probabilistic rather than absolute certainties.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 03:38
    You try to play a game. I suppose it is what you do to feel good about your arrogance.

Your position. I just say that we should assume God does not exist that way I can say I do not make an assumption. Excluding God is the non assumption position.

Circular reasoning but fits what I said. Last reply on my part. Until you see it, all attempt at explanation is a waste of time.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 07:352 edits
    I just say that we should assume God does not exist that way I can say I do not make an assumption. Excluding God is the non assumption position.
    So now you saying you don't assume God exists?
    But then why the

"...Since your beliefs can't explain a universe without beginning or how the universe can begin your belief system has obvious flaws." (your quotes)
    ?
    so the start of the universe cannot be explained without a God? That is what you imply in the above, right? Unless you are saying the tooth fairy did it.
    if so, seems you do assume a God exists for you say the beginning of the universe cannot be "explained" without it (as if an unintelligent "Goddidit "explains" it)
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 08:31
    So limit your reality to what works for your beliefs. Nice
    No.
    I limit my understanding of reality to that which has evidential support. ie I don't just make stuff up and then believe it.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 08:35
    Your beliefs are rooted in axiom that a super natural aspect of reality does not exist.
    I most definitely do not. Although it might be interesting to know what you actually mean by 'supernatural'.

True we can't test it but does that mean it is not possible?
    What we shouldn't do, is believe it until we can test it.

Since your beliefs can't explain a universe without beginning or how the universe can begin your belief system has obvious flaws.
    The failure to explain something via 'belief' is not a flaw. It is sanity. Holding a 'belief' which you made up just to 'explain' something is insanity.
    You are basically saying that someone who says the universe was farted out of a giant frog has fewer flaws in his belief than someone who says he just doesn't know where the universe came from.
    Sorry, but you are just plain wrong.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 22:19
    Yeah and Mormons think they are Christians. Doesn't really matter what we believe if we are self delusional.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 22:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 22:46
    Yeah and Mormons think they are Christians. Doesn't really matter what we believe if we are self delusional.
    What a crappy thing to say. My mom and sister are Mormons and I can tell you they think of themselves as Christian. Your bias stinks. My bias is I think the whole thing is a scam and I make no bones about it but you are a retard.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 20:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What a crappy thing to say. My mom and sister are Mormons and I can tell you they think of themselves as Christian. Your bias stinks. My bias is I think the whole thing is a scam and I make no bones about it but you are a retard.
    Anyone who believes that...

God was once a man

A man can become a God of his own world

That Jesus is Satan's brother

Isn't a Christian
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 01:00
    Anyone who believes that
    Isn't a Christian
    That isn't up to you. Religious Tolerance says that mormons are christians. You exhibit bigotry.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_deno.htm
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 01:452 edits
    Originally posted by apathist
    That isn't up to you. Religious Tolerance says that mormons are christians. You exhibit bigotry.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_deno.htm
    The Bible calls Christians to be a bigot when it comes to those who claim to be Christian.

But hey you can judge me all you like and label me with derogatory terms. Not very tolerant of you. You may want to look in the mirror.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 09:25
    Anyone who believes that...

God was once a man

A man can become a God of his own world

That Jesus is Satan's brother

Isn't a Christian
    They aren't your kind of Christian. And you aren't their kind of Christian. But you don't own the word. Now take it to spirituality!
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 10:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    They aren't your kind of Christian. And you aren't their kind of Christian. But you don't own the word. Now take it to spirituality!
    Who are you to say who is and who is not a Christian? What authority do you base your opinion?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 14:02
    The Bible calls Christians to be a bigot when it comes to those who claim to be Christian.

But hey you can judge me all you like and label me with derogatory terms. Not very tolerant of you. You may want to look in the mirror.
    You are the one dissing a religion. You do realize we have freedom of relgion here in the USA?

Personally, I want freedom FROM religion but that's just me.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 14:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You are the one dissing a religion. You do realize we have freedom of relgion here in the USA?

Personally, I want freedom FROM religion but that's just me.
    I never said a person couldn't self identify as a Christian.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree