1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 14:59
    http://phys.org/news/2015-07-jupiter-twin-solar.html

A star less than 200 light years away, a twin of Sol, also has a Jupiter sized planet at the same distance as our Jupiter, an indication maybe the inner solar system may be similar to ours.

Most of the exo planets found have shown Jupiter sized planets a few million miles from the sun not a good sign for habitability.

So it is showing there are solar systems out there similar to ours, perhaps a minority but at least more than the one we know about🙂
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 15:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Most of the exo planets found have shown Jupiter sized planets a few million miles from the sun not a good sign for habitability.
    That is an outdated statistic and was mostly a result of selection bias - large planets in short orbits are the easiest to detect.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 19:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is an outdated statistic and was mostly a result of selection bias - large planets in short orbits are the easiest to detect.
    Yep, but it is still a good sign that we found at least one other one like us. It is also interesting that star is a near twin of ours, maybe stars with that mass are the ones most likely not to have giant planets a million miles from the parent star.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 20:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yep, but it is still a good sign that we found at least one other one like us. It is also interesting that star is a near twin of ours, maybe stars with that mass are the ones most likely not to have giant planets a million miles from the parent star.
    I wouldn't be basing your statistics on two examples. I very much doubt that the star being a near twin of ours is a 'interesting' but rather it is the reason why it was reported on. In other words we probably already know of other systems where the sun is not almost a twin of ours. Again: selection bias.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '15 10:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I wouldn't be basing your statistics on two examples. I very much doubt that the star being a near twin of ours is a 'interesting' but rather it is the reason why it was reported on. In other words we probably already know of other systems where the sun is not almost a twin of ours. Again: selection bias.
    Of course. There was a recent Scientific American article looking for sun like stars and the conclusion was our sun and hundreds like it were born in the same cloud and now these stars have drifted halfway round the galaxy but they are piecing the story together, G2 stars born together then separating as time goes by.

Which doesn't mean all G2 stars were born in that cloud, just a bunch have been found and traced out.
  6. Rohan
    Moves
    16 Jul '15 15:38
    Third Stone from the Sun -- Jimi Hendrix

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree