Just another bible lie

Just another bible lie

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
21 Mar 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I tried. I failed.

I don't have any wanting to convince him wrong. He can have any ideas possible that doesn't hear anyone. But I don't accept to be insulted time after time. When he want to be socially functional, then we will have no problems. It's that simple.
Are you saying your sole purpose in continuing to spar with him is just to "get even" with him?

How is that not a waste of time and energy? It's an anonymous internet forum, after all.

F

Moves
21 Mar 14

Originally posted by wittywonka
Are you saying your sole purpose in continuing to spar with him is just to "get even" with him?

How is that not a waste of time and energy? It's an anonymous internet forum, after all.
No.

I myself chose what I want to waste my time and energy for.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
21 Mar 14
2 edits

I myself choose what I want to waste my time and energy for.
I guess that's true.

But among all possible ways to do so, wasting your time and energy in an anonymous internet forum, leveling insults at an anonymous person who possibly does not understand and likely will always refuse to accept your position from an argument that you have explained ad nauseam, just for the sake of "getting even" because you didn't feel like letting go of one or two of his uninformed comments, strikes me as bizarre.

But maybe it's time for me to let go, too. Just my $0.02, anyway.

F

Moves
21 Mar 14
1 edit

I guess that's true.

But among all possible ways to do so, wasting your time and energy in an anonymous internet forum, leveling insults at an anonymous person who possibly does not understand and likely will always refuse to accept your position from an argument that you have explained ad nauseam, just for the sake of "getting even" because you ...[text shortened]... nts, strikes me as bizarre.

But maybe it's time for me to let go, too. Just my $0.02, anyway.
Why do you think of 'getting even'? That's your interpretation, not mine.

I don't expect he will change his opinion into mine. From where did you get that?

If you want to understand what I am doing here, then I recommend you to read the initial posting in Thread 158121

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
21 Mar 14

Why do you think of 'getting even'? That's your interpretation, not mine.

I don't expect he will change his opinion into mine. From where did you get that?

If you want to understand what I am doing here, then I recommend you to read the initial posting in Thread 158121
I read the post, and I didn't come away with a clear answer as to why you contribute to these fora--only how. So you're free to enlighten me. I had just assumed your purpose in contributing was to try to convince others of your opinions, or at the least, to challenge others' opinions, as that's my motivation for contributing.

F

Moves
21 Mar 14

I read the post, and I didn't come away with a clear answer as to why you contribute to these fora--only how. So you're free to enlighten me. I had just assumed your purpose in contributing was to try to convince others of your opinions, or at the least, to challenge others' opinions, as that's my motivation for contributing.
Okay, I quote from the thread "I am FabianFnas": "Debating tecniques and retorics interests me a lot." Now, consider yourself enlightened.

Don't assume. If you do, it is only your own projection of yourself. You can never learn anything about other people if you assume that they think like you do.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
21 Mar 14

Debating tecniques and retorics interests me a lot.
Yes, but what does that mean? And how is that relevant to your experience at RHP?

I can be interested in rhetoric and never once contribute to these fora. I can be interested in rhetoric and argue positions I don't even believe myself, just for the sake of argument. I can be interested in rhetoric and argue in a manner I find repulsive--rude, flippant, whatever--just because I want to see others' reactions.

F

Moves
21 Mar 14

Yes, but what does that mean? And how is that relevant to your experience at RHP?

I can be interested in rhetoric and never once contribute to these fora. I can be interested in rhetoric and argue positions I don't even believe myself, just for the sake of argument. I can be interested in rhetoric and argue in a manner I find repulsive--rude, flippant, whatever--just because I want to see others' reactions.
This mean that you have another interest of rhetoric than I have. Again, don't assume that I am the same person as you are. We are different.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
21 Mar 14
1 edit

This mean that you have another interest of rhetoric than I have. Again, don't assume that I am the same person as you are. We are different.
No, I'm genuinely asking, how does your interest in rhetoric apply to your involvement in the RHP fora? My last post was trying to show that I think your statement can be taken many different ways.

F

Moves
21 Mar 14

No, I'm genuinely asking, how does your interest in rhetoric apply to your involvement in the RHP fora? My last post was trying to show that I think your statement can be taken many different ways.
You want me to define my interest in rhetoric? No, I can't do that.
I go as things happen. I don't conduct a scientific study in the matter. I learn new things about human behaviour as times flow.

Last question?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
21 Mar 14

You want me to define my interest in rhetoric? No, I can't do that.
I go as things happen. I don't conduct a scientific study in the matter. I learn new things about human behaviour as times flow.

Last question?
I'm asking how you cultivate your interest in rhetoric.

Do you ever post things just to stir up emotions?

Do you ever post opinions that you personally don't agree with?

Do you ever talk to others on these fora in ways you would not talk to people sitting right beside you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Mar 14

I'm asking how you cultivate your interest in rhetoric.

Do you ever post things just to stir up emotions?

Do you ever post opinions that you personally don't agree with?

Do you ever talk to others on these fora in ways you would not talk to people sitting right beside you?

Many of the posters on here think their opinion on scientific matters are facts and not just opinions. When I attempt to bring up contrary opinions from other scientists that agree with my point of view, they attempt to silence me by every means they can. I am viewed as condescending when I attempt to point out flaws in their opinions. It is true that I believe that Intelligent Design is the best explantion for the beginning of biological systems and changes that take place. This is an opinion that many on this Science Forum can not tolerate, so the argument becomes one of who can throw the most insults.

F

Moves
21 Mar 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
This is an opinion that many on this Science Forum can not tolerate...
So now you admit that you only have opinions. No facts. Good boy 🙂

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Mar 14

So now you admit that you only have opinions. No facts. Good boy 🙂
I have tha same facts as everybody else, but different opinions about what some of the facts mean.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
22 Mar 14
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
I have tha same facts as everybody else, but different opinions about what some of the facts mean.
Do you believe there is some clearly defined, a priori critical mass threshold of evidence in favor of a different opinion that if presented to you then could convince you fundamentally to revise your opinions?

There's no objectively right or wrong answer to this question, by the way. If "no," then the atheists in this thread have their answer and can stop "debating for the sake of debating." If "yes," though, then y'all can have fun continuing the conversation, and possibly even in a non-confrontational manner.