1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 May '17 16:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You really don't get it. When the Arctic warms up, it actually releases more CO2 than it absorbs and that is happening as we speak. I am not talking about a cataclysm happening in ten years I am talking about the next 100 years and we are not doing our grandkids any favors, in fact they will most likely vilify us as stupid in the face of actual climate chan ...[text shortened]... civilization itself from hitting rock bottom and back to the 400's after the Roman Empire died.
    Earth temps fluctuate. They always have and always will.

Now you are making predictions that can't be verified. Very nice. Al Gore should have done the same.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '17 16:571 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So the answer is no for you two true believers. No amount of false predictions will sway your belief.
    No amount of wild speculation by politicians will sway my belief. And they shouldn't.
    But my belief is based on knowledge and facts. It is not a religion.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '17 17:02
    During the 90's there was a great hysteria about global warming and the end of the world.

It has been proven wrong. How was it proven? The models and predictions of the 90's never came to pass.
    The problem is that all you saw was Al Gore on TV.

Many of us knew about global warming in the 80s (some maybe before that, but I am not that old), and have known about it ever since and have monitored the actual science behind it, not the politicians.
    The actual scientific models have been proven right. They have come to pass.
    And the ice on Mt Kilimanjaro continues to melt. I note that you didn't give a reference in your OP, but if you had, I bet it would have included the statement that Mt Kilimanjaro WILL be ice free in the foreseeable future.
    That you felt the need to hide that fact suggests you know full well that you are wrong.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '17 17:061 edit
    And when they fluctuate a lot, the results are catastrophic. In the past 5000 years, there were more deaths as a result of weather fluctuations than from war. Whole civilisations have come and gone due to climate change.
    Now you may think that just because its happened before its ALL OK, I beg to differ. I don't want to die at 20 just because that was common 200 years ago.
    And I don't want my children to suffer more than they need to just so that your employer can sell more coal. Go get a job at a solar farm.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 May '17 19:39

Now you are making predictions that can't be verified. Very nice. Al Gore should have done the same.
    So Al Gore climbed a mountain, found ice and declared that humans don't cause climate change after all?
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 May '17 19:41
    So the answer is no for you two true believers. No amount of false predictions will sway your belief.
    Why talk about this topic in terms of "belief"? Climate science is not something that people choose to believe in. It's a field of scientific inquiry.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 May '17 03:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The problem is that all you saw was Al Gore on TV.

Many of us knew about global warming in the 80s (some maybe before that, but I am not that old), and have known about it ever since and have monitored the actual science behind it, not the politicians.
    The actual scientific models have been proven right. They have come to pass.
    And the ice on Mt Kili ...[text shortened]... uture.
    That you felt the need to hide that fact suggests you know full well that you are wrong.
    In the 70's we were worried about entering a mini ice age.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 May '17 03:05
    Originally posted by wildgrass
    Why talk about this topic in terms of "belief"? Climate science is not something that people choose to believe in. It's a field of scientific inquiry.
    The belief part has to do with how much of this is man made and how much is natural cycle .

Another belief is how catastrophic it will turn out to be. If you believed the people in the 90's many parts of the world would be under water by now.

But what do you know, things aren't so bad after all.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 May '17 03:23
    So Al Gore climbed a mountain, found ice and declared that humans don't cause climate change after all?
    No, Al Gore still believes in global warming.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 May '17 05:451 edit
    The belief part has to do with how much of this is man made and how much is natural cycle ..
    No it isn't. The whole of it is science, not belief. We don't choose to believe any of it just like we don't choose to believe the Earth is round but you choose to believe the vast global conspiracy theory.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 May '17 05:521 edit
    Totally irrelevant; what does that got to do with the possibility of there being some recent man made global warming? -answer; nothing.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 May '17 06:281 edit
    The belief part has to do with how much of this is man made and how much is natural cycle .
    Its not belief, its science. We can measure CO2 concentrations and other global warming gasses very accurately. When understand the science of heating gasses very accurately. Its really not that hard to calculate what the relative contributions are. What is complicated is calculating weather and predicting future weather patterns when the warming has happened.
    What is complicated is calculating how much more CO2 will be released from swampy areas after they warm. What is complicated is calculating how fast ice will melt for a given temperature rise and how much the reduced snow cover will affect warming.

Another belief is how catastrophic it will turn out to be. If you believed the people in the 90's many parts of the world would be under water by now.
    Well maybe you should stop listening to Green Peace and Al Gore, and look at the science instead.
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 May '17 15:53

But what do you know, things aren't so bad after all.
    Your position might be taken more seriously if you talked about "confidence" and "judgement" rather than belief, and used citations for your arguments. No one here understands what historical beliefs you're referring to. It seems like maybe you're conflating scientific knowledge with political propaganda, but I'm admittedly confused.

Here, it seems, a researcher went out on a limb and made a bold prediction based on his data. He was wrong, but scientists are wrong all the time. It comes with the territory when you're always working out at the edge of what we know and don't know.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 May '17 21:39
    Your position might be taken more seriously if you talked about "confidence" and "judgement" rather than belief, and used citations for your arguments. No one here understands what historical beliefs you're referring to. It seems like maybe you're conflating scientific knowledge with political propaganda, but I'm admittedly confused.

Here, it seems, a r ...[text shortened]... es with the territory when you're always working out at the edge of what we know and don't know.
    http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/11/04/no-global-warming-at-all-for-18-years-9-months-a-new-record-the-pause-lengthens-again-just-in-time-for-un-summit-in-paris/o

The computer models of global alarmists have been proven wrong. The earth adapts to different conditions.

Why no global warming? The oceans are absorbing the heat.

Now we see thr greening of the earth. What do plants do? Plants absorb CO2.

China has been dumping huge amounts of pollution into the environment but still no global warming according to some and nothing close to the computer models.

The cataclysmic global warming story is simply a lie. This is a proven fact.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 May '17 22:07
    http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/11/04/no-global-warming-at-all-for-18-years-9-months-a-new-record-the-pause-lengthens-again-just-in-time-for-un-summit-in-paris/o

The computer models of global alarmists have been proven wrong. The earth adapts to different conditions.

Why no global warming? The oceans are absorbing the heat.

Now we see thr greening ...[text shortened]... computer models.

The cataclysmic global warming story is simply a lie. This is a proven fact.
    So prove it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree