1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 04:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its a psychological effect whereby you remember your failures better than your successes.
    I get similar results even when I am being resolutely optimistic.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 05:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I'd imagine you're getting way lower than 50% success rate if that's where you're trying to insert your USB.
    Ach - you may be on to something there.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 06:20
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Ach - you may be on to something there.
    Try turning yourself upside down at the last moment the next time you want to post a message.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 08:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    I get similar results even when I am being resolutely optimistic.
    Try actually recording every attempt and the result, then post your results. Remember you must record successes as well as failures.
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 11:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why does inserting a USB plug into an unsighted USB socket defy the law of averages? The first attempt to put the USB plug in is almost always thwarted by the end being the wrong way up.
    Your need for new glasses have nothing to do with the law of averages. Just make sure the USB symbol is up.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 21:06
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Your need for new glasses have nothing to do with the law of averages. Just make sure the USB symbol is up.
    That would would depend on the orientation of the USB slot on your brand of computer. Some computers have USB slots turned sideways.
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 02:24
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That would would depend on the orientation of the USB slot on your brand of computer. Some computers have USB slots turned sideways.
    I am not going to have trouble with you am I Hinds? 🙂
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 02:571 edit
    Actually, my unimpeachable, mental-calculation-driven and therefore empirical-after-a-fashion findings that the law of averages does not apply to plugging in a USB cable are based on me charging my phone next to my bed in the dark. Same thing almost every time: reach for the cable, plug one end of it into the phone [where I get a more or less 50-50 success rate; evidence of this is the fact that I have mentioned this 'more or less 50-50 success rate' to my wife several times, and she can testify to this], then take the other end [standard USB type] and plug it into the little electric adaptor plug thing [black, and even more so in the pitch black] with a USB socket, ...'Oops, wrong way round [or up], try again'. Again, again and again. To actually research this obvious repeal of the law of averages would just shed the situation of its mystery.
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 03:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Actually, my unimpeachable, mental-calculation-driven and therefore empirical-after-a-fashion findings that the law of averages does not apply to plugging in a USB cable are based on me charging my phone next to my bed in the dark. Same thing almost every time: reach for the cable, plug one end of it into the phone [where I get a more or less 50-50 success rate; ...[text shortened]... rch this obvious repeal of the law of averages would just shed the situation of its mystery.
    If you were to have a coin made with a USB symbol on one side and perhaps an engraving of your RHP avatar (googly eyes and all) on the other, and did a coin toss in the dark, would you say it would be 50 50 heads to USB?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 08:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    To actually research this obvious repeal of the law of averages would just shed the situation of its mystery.
    Another large piece of the psychological effect behind it all. People often believe there is a violation of probability because they want there to be a violation - its more exciting that way. Its exciting because we have evolved to be good at detecting patterns (and violations of patters, which is a pattern in itself) and our brains have a reward system that rewards us when we detect a pattern. For example there is a release of dopamine in your brain every time you spot a strawman on this forum and this keeps you coming back for more.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 10:31
    Another large piece of the psychological effect behind it all. People often believe there is a violation of probability because they want there to be a violation - its more exciting that way. Its exciting because we have evolved to be good at detecting patterns (and violations of patters, which is a pattern in itself) and our brains have a reward system t ...[text shortened]... your brain every time you spot a strawman on this forum and this keeps you coming back for more.
    Why do you keep using that word evolved? Why don't you say changed or improved or adapted or some other word? Nobody has evolved through evilution.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 11:561 edit
    Why do you keep using that word evolved? Why don't you say changed or improved or adapted or some other word? Nobody has evolved through evilution.
    You certainly haven't.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 12:18
    I can use any word I like. I can also use any definition for any word I like. I am not constrained to using your definition or even your spelling. And by my definition, people evolved and evolve with every birth or death. Its a fact of life.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 01:22
    I can use any word I like. I can also use any definition for any word I like. I am not constrained to using your definition or even your spelling. And by my definition, people evolved and evolve with every birth or death. Its a fact of life.
    This must be why so many people still say they believe in Evilution. They don't know what is the true meaning so they use their own meaning or the meaning they have been indoctrinated under.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 05:06
    This must be why so many people still say they believe in Evilution. They don't know what is the true meaning so they use their own meaning or the meaning they have been indoctrinated under.
    Words do not have 'true meanings'. English was invented not discovered. You've been reading too many fairy tales.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree