1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    08 May '23 04:501 edit
    @Kilroy70

There is no reason to believe life appeared on Earth by any means other than natural selective processes that have been operating since time immemorial right here. On Earth. Speaking in strict physical terms, life is just a very complex chemical reaction, with the border between "living matter" and "nonliving matter" being very fuzzy indeed.

More problematic for science, but by no means necessitating the invocation of the supernatural, is the essence of consciousness and self-awareness. Thought thinking about thought becomes a tricky hall of mirrors to navigate, but thought is necessary to carry out good science.
  2. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    08 May '23 15:141 edit
    @soothfast said
    @Kilroy70

There is no reason to believe life appeared on Earth by any means other than natural selective processes that have been operating since time immemorial right here. On Earth. Speaking in strict physical terms, life is just a very complex chemical reaction, with the border between "living matter" and "nonliving matter" being very fuzzy indeed.
    Life has to already exist for there to be natural selective processes. Abiogenesis is problematic because nothing is selected, it just happens. This is why, as kooky as it may seem, some people are willing to speculate life on earh was seeded with pre-existing DNA information. I'm not saying I believe this, but I do recognize (as many scientists do) the need to explain how life was able to arise from non-living matter before a package of information and DNA instructions existed.
    This has never been adequately explained.
  3. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    08 May '23 16:221 edit
    @soothfast said
    @Kilroy70

More problemat ht becomes a tricky hall of mirrors to navigate, but thought is necessary to carry out good science.
    More problematic for science... is the essence of consciousness and self-awareness.

I agree. Attempting to explain consciousness and self-awareness naturally arising from non-consiousness and non self-awareness is a tricky proposition. Fortunately science (physics in particular) is not required to explain how non-living matter is able to reach a state of self-awareness.

Thought thinking about thought becomes a tricky hall of mirrors to navigate, but thought is necessary to carry out good science.

Science is a human invention. It's not a self existent entity and therefore not in itself a "god".
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 May '23 16:27
    @Kilroy70
    But like Arthur C Clarke said, sufficiently advanced technology cannot be shown different than the actions of a god.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 May '23 09:40
    @kilroy70 said
    Life has to already exist for there to be natural selective processes. Abiogenesis is problematic because nothing is selected, it just happens. This is why, as kooky as it may seem, some people are willing to speculate life on earh was seeded with pre-existing DNA information. I'm not saying I believe this, but I do recognize (as many scientists do) the need to explain how l ...[text shortened]... re a package of information and DNA instructions existed.
    The problem with Life From Aliens is that it doesn't explain anything at all, whether adequately or not. All it does is kick the problem down the line: if DNA on Earth started as DNA From Aliens, where did the Aliens get their DNA?
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 May '23 09:47
    @kilroy70 said
    Life has to already exist for there to be natural selective processes. Abiogenesis is problematic because nothing is selected, it just happens. This is why, as kooky as it may seem, some people are willing to speculate life on earh was seeded with pre-existing DNA information. I'm not saying I believe this, but I do recognize (as many scientists do) the need to explain how l ...[text shortened]... re a package of information and DNA instructions existed.
    By the way, it is a mistake to believe that natural selection requires life. All natural selection requires is nature, and a selective pressure. That pressure can be chemical just as well as biological.

In other words, if certain pre-biological bases are more chemically stable than others, they will be selected for. If certain ways of combining molecules prove to catalyse the existence of more, similar combined molecules - and that by merely chemical, not biological, processes - they will be selected for against other combinations that only happen and don't propagate.

Life needs natural selection. Natural selection is greatly sped up by life, but ab initio only needs chemistry
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '23 09:571 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    As there is in any phyzzog piece.

Phyzzog is to science as the Daily Mirror is to journalism. Not quite as bad as the Daily Hail, but they still make it clear, Every. Single. Article. that they don't actually understand even the basics of what they write about.

I wish people would stop re-posting their &!*@ everywhere.
    the daily hail is an excellent tabloid if one runs out of loo roll.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '23 06:51
    @Catpower25
    And as that paper rolls down the sewer and gets mushed up, new combinations of bacteria and viruses appear........
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Jun '23 20:131 edit
    @sonhouse

At the other end of the spectrum, life on earth, a previously unknown species found: a pre-human species which buried their dead, used tools, controlled fire, and carved symbols into cave walls. We aren't unique. We aren't special at all.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/05/world/homo-naledi-burials-carvings-scn/index.html
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Jun '23 20:05
    @moonbus said
    @sonhouse

At the other end of the spectrum, life on earth, a previously unknown species found: a pre-human species which buried their dead, used tools, controlled fire, and carved symbols into cave walls. We aren't unique. We aren't special at all.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/05/world/homo-naledi-burials-carvings-scn/index.html
    Well... except that Homo Naledi was already known, and if not an ancestor of H. Sap. is at least a close aunt or uncle.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Jun '23 18:34
    @sonhouse

Organic molecules have been detected in a distant galaxy:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/06/world/webb-telescope-distant-organic-molecules-scn/index.html
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Jun '23 19:26
    @moonbus said
    @sonhouse

Organic molecules have been detected in a distant galaxy:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/06/world/webb-telescope-distant-organic-molecules-scn/index.html
    Woo-hoo.

Carbon in other galaxies also bonds with oxygen and hydrogen.

Big deal. Big surprise.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    08 Jun '23 13:09
    @Shallow-Blue

It strongly indicates that life could develop anywhere, that we are not special in any way.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jun '23 15:46
    @moonbus
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    Trillions of stars, multiple trillions of planets and humans think this is the only place in the universe with life?
    Seemed a tad bit arrogant to me.....
  15. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    20 Jul '23 21:57

Removed by poster

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree