1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Mar '23 19:36
    https://phys.org/news/2023-03-scientists-substance-life-earth.html

Just found is this 'Nickleback' molecule with evidence that molecule kickstarted going from prebiotics to the path leading to life.
  2. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    18 Mar '23 07:40
    @sonhouse said
    https://phys.org/news/2023-03-scientists-substance-life-earth.html

Just found is this 'Nickleback' molecule with evidence that molecule kickstarted going from prebiotics to the path leading to life.
    Another sign that directed transpermia really happened.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 16:56
    @mlb62
    Interesting, DIRECTED. So you are taking a religious stance based on ZERO evidence.
    Smooth move mr anti science.

You clearly could care less about actual science since for you GOD made the whole kit and caboodle.

This universe thing scares ME to death, an unstable universe blowing up out of nowhere and looking now like there will be an end to our universe in some unknown number of billions of years to the end.

Our universe had a start time and now looking like it has an ending time also which leaves me in shivers showing just how small Earth really is and how vulnerable it is which was shown pretty dramatically 66 million years ago, which BTW in cosmic terms is not that long ago since Earth has been around some 20 or 30 times that time span which says we could have another Earth blaster any time now and it is fortunate there was that experiment of crashing a probe going VERY fast slamming into that little asteroid which apparently worked since the orbit of the asteroid had made changes because of the impact of the probe.

So maybe this time we can see it coming and actually do something about it which was not even close to a choice for T rex and his buddies.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Mar '23 16:27
    @sonhouse

As Mr. Spock would say, fascinating.

BTW, organic molecules have been detected on an asteroid.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/21/world/ryugu-asteroid-organic-molecules-scn/index.html
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Mar '23 16:561 edit
    @moonbus
    James Webb scope has found organics in nebula clouds and they also just were able to see dust storms on an exoplanet!
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 05:53
    @sonhouse said
    @mlb62
    Interesting, DIRECTED. So you are taking a religious stance based on ZERO evidence.

You clearly could care less about actual science since for you GOD made the whole kit and caboodle.

This universe thing scares ME to death, an unstable universe blowing up out of nowhere and looking now like there will be an end to our universe in some unknown number of billions of years to the end.
    Yes the universe is a scary place. You didn't mention gamma ray bursts ..which is what I worry about most.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '23 17:38
    @mlb62
    We are ok with GR bursts because they are thousands of LY away.
    We are more at risk for supernova's but space saves us because they only kill planets a few hundred light years away from the nova and we are at least a thousand light years away from anything going now. A few thousand light years from these kind of events means the energy will spread out and dilute by the time it would hit Earth. The total energy involved is the same total but spread out over hundreds of light years like in a kind of energy cone with the tip where the big bang is and when it reaches us, like a few thousand light years wide by that time so we so far are ok.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 06:15
    @sonhouse said
    @mlb62

This universe thing scares ME to death, an unstable universe blowing up out of nowhere and looking now like there will be an end to our universe in ...[text shortened]... g and actually do something about it which was not even close to a choice for T rex and his buddies.
    Well as a scientist I have to say rthat actually there is a lot of "believeing" presuming" and "might" in the phys.org piece.

So yes, there is an interesting molecule, that was derived by a really well thought out design process. So congratulations to the chemists here.
    And yes it was a directed research, as is usually done. So people had an aim and went on to develiop a synthesis.

The point in question: Can we find that molecule somewhere at all. And if we design a "most simple" solution" we might still be very far from anything that is found in nature.

So: lets celebrate the human thought and their succesful catalyst design. And be careful not to overreach what it means.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 18:57
    @ponderable said
    Well as a scientist I have to say rthat actually there is a lot of "believeing" presuming" and "might" in the phys.org piece.
    As there is in any phyzzog piece.

Phyzzog is to science as the Daily Mirror is to journalism. Not quite as bad as the Daily Hail, but they still make it clear, Every. Single. Article. that they don't actually understand even the basics of what they write about.

I wish people would stop re-posting their &!*@ everywhere.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '23 01:30
    @Shallow-Blue
    We know what we read, they always go, IF this tech is commercialized mankind will benefit and so forth.
    But I read those articles because I like to track those technologies to see if any of them really pan out.
    For instance, the articles on fusion is heating up since the national ignition lab just got out 20% more energy out of the pellet as it took to zap it so fusion is real and now it is just a matter of diligent engineering.
    Tokamak, Stellerator, lasers, it won't be long now, another 5 years or so and we will see real fusion reactors and ITER won't even be built by '28.
  11. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    04 May '23 15:10
    @mlb62 said
    Another sign that directed transpermia really happened.
    When I googled transpermia all I got were links to "panspermia".
    What is "directed transpermia"?
  12. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    04 May '23 15:31
    @sonhouse said
    @mlb62

This universe thing scares ME to death, an unstable universe blowing up out of nowhere and looking now like there will be an end to our universe in ...[text shortened]... g and actually do something about it which was not even close to a choice for T rex and his buddies.
    There's a theory that proposes life on our planet was seeded by an advanced alien civilization. If this is what mlb62 meant by "transpermia" (panspermia?) then it's not a religious idea, but rather a way to bypass abiogenesis.

Evolutionists don't need to explain abiogenesis but it does require an explanation. And by "explanation" I don't mean simply stating this is how life got started, and that we should all accept this as a matter of faith... if we do this then we are crossing a line and treading into religious territory.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 May '23 17:401 edit
    @Kilroy70
    Sure, that would show how life began HERE but it begs the question how did the aliens get here? A god made THEM?πŸ™‚
    Most likely is we are not that special to receive such attention from aliens.
    We are more likely to find in the next few decades life on moons like Europa spewing out water from the cracks in the surface, with a 50 km deep underground ocean.
    I hope we live to see such results.
  14. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    04 May '23 17:56
    @sonhouse said
    another 5 years or so and we will see real fusion reactors
    YouTube
  15. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    04 May '23 18:19
    @sonhouse said
    @Kilroy70
    Sure, that would show how life began HERE but it begs the question how did the aliens get here? A god made THEM?πŸ™‚
    I think the idea is we don't need to explain how life began on our planet. Abiogenesis is off the table because responsibility for explaining it rests with the aliens, not with us.

And it could be they don't know how it began with them, but that's okay. If anyone asks, "How did life manage to appear on earth?" all you gotta say is "I don't know, beats me."
    "Ask the aliens, they're the ones who brought it here."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree