Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Apr '17 18:53
    https://phys.org/news/2017-04-scientists-evidence-habitable-region-saturn.html
  2. 16 Apr '17 19:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    https://phys.org/news/2017-04-scientists-evidence-habitable-region-saturn.html
    Life is possible on many of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. That has been known for quite some time.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Apr '17 20:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Life is possible on many of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. That has been known for quite some time.
    They found hydrogen and made the connection that it could be an energy source for life or prebiotic molecules.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    17 Apr '17 02:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    https://phys.org/news/2017-04-scientists-evidence-habitable-region-saturn.html
    I would imagine the cold temps are far too extreme. I know there are some microbes that live in extreme cold, but I doubt they could've been formed under cold temperatures.

    http://www.astrobio.net/geology/earths-early-temperature/

    According to the link, Earth's early temperature of 3.7 billion years ago was likely able to sustain temperatures above freezing due to evidence of enough CO2 being around at that time to keep temps above freezing.

    If this is the case, the microbes in the colder places on earth first lived in less extreme cold, and probably evolved over time to be able to sustain colder and colder temperatures. I doubt any planets on Jupiter or Saturn would have life, since life (as we know it) would have even more extreme temperatures than earth's, and probably never had a point (unless you guys evidence to contrary) where their temps were moderate enough to sustain life...especially since (according to the article) the sun was more faint (weaker) than it is now.
  5. 17 Apr '17 07:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    They found hydrogen and made the connection that it could be an energy source for life or prebiotic molecules.
    Yes, I know. I just think the whole 'there might be life' hype every time someone finds a rock is a bit over blown.
  6. 17 Apr '17 07:41
    Originally posted by vivify
    I would imagine the cold temps are far too extreme.
    Many moons are kept warm internally by the usual processes and tidal effects, so several moons are thought to have subsurface oceans of liquid water, with probably some warm areas around volcanic activity. I believe Enceladus has geysers shooting water out into space, so temperatures above boiling (although what is boiling is dependant on pressure).
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    17 Apr '17 14:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, I know. I just think the whole 'there might be life' hype every time someone finds a rock is a bit over blown.
    It's probably done to generate revenue for future research.
  8. 17 Apr '17 14:52
    Originally posted by vivify
    It's probably done to generate revenue for future research.
    Only partially. Much of it is done to generate revenue for the media - because click bait works.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Apr '17 12:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Only partially. Much of it is done to generate revenue for the media - because click bait works.
    Like the 'influencers' who get money touting some product or other, they get X amount per click.
  10. Standard member apathist
    looking for loot
    21 Apr '17 06:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, I know. I just think the whole 'there might be life' hype every time someone finds a rock is a bit over blown.
    Science is looking and people are interested. I guess the quest could use a governor. I nominate Mr. Spock or tw.