Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 04 Feb '13 15:42
    I am not sure this is the right forum, but here goes.

    Any Linux enthusiasts out there?

    What are you running on? Any cool hacks you've come up with lately? Some cool .conkyrc? Any chess related linux stuff? Any problems?

    64-bit Crunchbang Stable here.

    tl;dr post your linux stories
  2. 04 Feb '13 22:41
    Originally posted by AnomalousCowturd
    I am not sure this is the right forum, but here goes.

    Any Linux enthusiasts out there?

    What are you running on? Any cool hacks you've come up with lately? Some cool .conkyrc? Any chess related linux stuff? Any problems?

    64-bit Crunchbang Stable here.

    tl;dr post your linux stories
    Wasn't Linux the one that played the piano with a Beethoven head on it? Snoopy was the dog and Woodstock was the little birdie.
  3. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    05 Feb '13 03:09
    I thinking about rooting my Android Phone.....But I am a noob to it. I understand android is just a version of Linux.




    Manny
  4. 05 Feb '13 06:50
    Originally posted by menace71
    I thinking about rooting my Android Phone.....But I am a noob to it. I understand android is just a version of Linux.




    Manny
    It's got a slightly modified Linux Kernel but, yeah, it's close to Linux. I got my first smartphone (with android of course) a month ago and been meaning to root it ever since, just haven't sat down to actually do it.

    If you do eventually do it (and if you're a noob as you say), be sure to gather as much info as you want. It's not particularly easy to brick your phone, but still, you want to be sure it doesn't happen.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Feb '13 12:13
    Originally posted by AnomalousCowturd
    It's got a slightly modified Linux Kernel but, yeah, it's close to Linux. I got my first smartphone (with android of course) a month ago and been meaning to root it ever since, just haven't sat down to actually do it.

    If you do eventually do it (and if you're a noob as you say), be sure to gather as much info as you want. It's not particularly easy to brick your phone, but still, you want to be sure it doesn't happen.
    What does that mean, root it?

    I have a windows phone, things haven't advanced very much in the two years I have had it.
  6. 05 Feb '13 14:23
    Rooting is irrelevant to a Windows phone, but with respect to an Android, it's like giving yourself administrator rights. You basically void any warranty, risk bricking it, but you end up having "full" control of it, remove any operator's restrictions and can run any custom software on it.

    It can be a useful thing, but one has to be careful and under no circumstances should you do it just because your mates told you it's cool.
  7. 05 Feb '13 14:48
    I use Linux (Ubuntu) every day at work. It's fast and stable, though because of compatibility issues with software I wouldn't want to use it on my home desktop.
  8. 05 Feb '13 14:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I use Linux (Ubuntu) every day at work. It's fast and stable, though because of compatibility issues with software I wouldn't want to use it on my home desktop.
    Depends on what you do. I study electrical engineering and actually find Linux very useful. I would probably struggle to get stuff done with windows. There's is heaps of small development tools that are just easy to use on Linux.
  9. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    06 Feb '13 06:08
    Originally posted by AnomalousCowturd
    It's got a slightly modified Linux Kernel but, yeah, it's close to Linux. I got my first smartphone (with android of course) a month ago and been meaning to root it ever since, just haven't sat down to actually do it.

    If you do eventually do it (and if you're a noob as you say), be sure to gather as much info as you want. It's not particularly easy to brick your phone, but still, you want to be sure it doesn't happen.
    Your right I've been reading up on rooting the phone. It basically gives you full administrators rights or SU super user rights which is good but can get you in trouble. I've read up on it and even have everything ready. You can un-root also and reset the binary counts. I was reading that it would be hit and miss if you needed to take the phone back to the carrier. An experienced tech would know how to see if the phone has been reflashed or not. The average Sprint employee up front would not know the difference. I want to be able to use some of the apps that require "root" cool CPU controllers to slow down and speed up the CPU. I'm on the fence but I may try it I would like to learn more in general about Linux

    Manny
  10. 08 Feb '13 17:59
    Originally posted by menace71
    Your right I've been reading up on rooting the phone. It basically gives you full administrators rights or SU super user rights which is good but can get you in trouble. I've read up on it and even have everything ready. You can un-root also and reset the binary counts. I was reading that it would be hit and miss if you needed to take the phone back to the ...[text shortened]... the fence but I may try it I would like to learn more in general about Linux

    Manny
    If you want to learn more about Linux, the best thing to do is to try it yourself. If you've never done Linux before, I would probably start with something like Ubuntu. If you have, then you probably have some opinion on what to use. www.distrowatch.com has nice descriptions of most of the available distros (which there are plenty).

    If you're afraid of installing it on your computer, try a LiveCD first. That basically means downloading the ISO file, burning the image to a CD and just booting from the CD. That way, you can try out the operating system without actually installing it.
  11. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    09 Feb '13 12:38
    Originally posted by menace71
    It basically gives you full administrators rights or SU super user rights which is good but can get you in trouble.
    It's dangerous to have root privileges. Ubuntu sensibly disable the root account and give the first user sudo privileges under their own password. This means if you want to execute a command with superuser status you have to type "sudo" before the command you want every time. It might sound like a pain, but I was once logged on as root in the root directory in one window, and as myself in a separate window and wanted to delete a directory in the window where I was logged in as me. So I typed "rm -fr *", after a few minutes I thought - why is this taking so long?

    To do that under Ubuntu you need "sudo rm -fr /" which is a lot harder to do accidentally. Luckily it was a slow machine and was only about half way through my files when I stopped it...
  12. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    10 Feb '13 05:59
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's dangerous to have root privileges. Ubuntu sensibly disable the root account and give the first user sudo privileges under their own password. This means if you want to execute a command with superuser status you have to type "sudo" before the command you want every time. It might sound like a pain, but I was once logged on as root in the root dir ...[text shortened]... y it was a slow machine and was only about half way through my files when I stopped it...
    Crazy LOL yeah I can see that being a problem




    Manny
  13. 11 Feb '13 17:01
    Originally posted by menace71
    Crazy LOL yeah I can see that being a problem




    Manny
    Well, it's also permission issues. If you create anything in your home directory while being root, you will only be able to write it while root.

    Also, not that I've checked, but I'm pretty sure you can't any more do "sudo rm -r /" that easily, at least in Ubuntu. At the least, you should be getting a prompt.
  14. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    15 Feb '13 04:38
    Honestly the phone has so much space and speed the Bloat stuff does not hurt at all. I have a modern laptop but my old desk top is slower than my phone LOL I think I just like to tinker with stuff too much I have a modest 8GB SD card and the phones on board memory is 16GB


    Manny