Magnetic monopoles created in lab!:

Magnetic monopoles created in lab!:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Jan 14

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-physicists-synthetic-magnetic-monopole-years.html#ajTabs

K

Germany

Moves
30 Jan 14

That's interesting. I will check the Nature article tomorrow.

h

Moves
30 Jan 14
2 edits

Does this mean we would be able to one day go to a shop and buy just the north pole of a magnet without any south pole?
Normally, if you try and cut a magnet in half between its poles, you just instantly create two new poles, NOT monopoles.

K

Germany

Moves
30 Jan 14

Originally posted by humy
Does this mean we would be able to one day go to a shop and buy just the north pole of a magnet without any south pole?
Normally, if you try and cup a magnet in half between its poles, you just instantly create two new poles -NOT a monopole.
Not unless you expect to buy Bose-Einstein condensates in shops any time soon.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Jan 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Not unless you expect to buy Bose-Einstein condensates in shops any time soon.
Sure, but a lot of technologies started out way too cumbersome to be used at home, look at the first computers, rooms full of relays, then tubes, taking 20 Kw or so to add 2 and 2.

Or atomic clocks, first ones were laid out on a table all spread out, but they now have made one the size of a sugar cube or smaller.

That is just the opener, the real search will be when we can do it at room temperature not microkelvins.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Jan 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Sure, but a lot of technologies started out way too cumbersome to be used at home,...
My cat chases a tiny hand held laser, and I guess thats nothing compared to the one in my DVD drive. I bet that when lasers were first invented many people thought they would remain in the lab.

PDI

Moves
31 Jan 14

That's pretty cool, although a link from that link reminds that "it should be stressed that our work does not tell anything about the existence of magnetic monopoles in the electromagnetic field”--i.e. the kind of fundamental particle Paul Dirac had in mind in the 1930s.

K

Germany

Moves
31 Jan 14

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
That's pretty cool, although a link from that link reminds that "it should be stressed that our work does not tell anything about the existence of magnetic monopoles in the electromagnetic field”--i.e. the kind of fundamental particle Paul Dirac had in mind in the 1930s.
Yeah, it does look like the media are overhyping this a bit. It's a pretty neat experiment, but what they actually show is that they can use these spinor BECs to simulate properties that a "real" monopole would have. They don't show the existence of magnetic monopoles.