slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 02:45
    http://phys.org/news/2014-03-ge-magnetocaloric-refrigeration-video.html
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 07:541 edit
    interesting. Although I have known about magnetic cooling for years which isn't a new concept, this is the first time I have heard of it being used in a fridge. I assume they probably add antifreeze to that water-based fluid they talk about.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 08:09
    Originally posted by humy
    interesting. Although I have known about magnetic cooling for years which isn't a new concept, this is the first time I have heard of it being used in a fridge. I assume they probably add antifreeze to that water-based fluid they talk about.
    Magnetic refrigerators were invented by Einstein, he even tried to start a company making them but it flopped.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 10:334 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Magnetic refrigerators were invented by Einstein, he even tried to start a company making them but it flopped.
    I didn't know that 🙂 It is a good concept and, with the backing of Einstein of all people, I wonder why it flopped. Perhaps the technology just wasn't up to the job back then and, in particular, as far as I am aware, they didn't have neodymium magnets back then and modern neodymium magnets are probably much less bulky and have much stronger magnetic fields than the magnets they had back then although, having said that, they do tend to be pricey.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 13:14
    Any ideas as to why it will take them another 6 years to go into production?
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 18:042 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Any ideas as to why it will take them another 6 years to go into production?
    I am not sure but I think this is a case of the stated theory of it being vastly simpler than the actual practical design and development process. In particular, and if you watch the video on that link then you will see this, although they have produced a prototype, not only does that prototype look nothing like a fridge because it only has the machinery part of it, that prototype machinery part of the cooling system is currently far far to large and cumbersome to fit into your typical domestic fridge! It certainly will not fit into mine! They say they intend to and expect to eventually miniaturize that setup to a much more reasonable small size but don't say how long that would take so I bet this is the main cause of delay in it going into production i.e. the task of miniaturization.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 23:42
    Originally posted by humy
    I am not sure but I think this is a case of the stated theory of it being vastly simpler than the actual practical design and development process. In particular, and if you watch the video on that link then you will see this, although they have produced a prototype, not only does that prototype look nothing like a fridge because it only has the machinery part o ...[text shortened]... et this is the main cause of delay in it going into production i.e. the task of miniaturization.
    They could jump start that process by using a genetic program and a supercomputer where you just tell the program the goal is smaller sizes with the same efficiency.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree