1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 14:271 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    See my post about the Vasimr engine, above.
    You don't need [although it would help] to move beyond conventional rocket engines to get
    there fast enough.

Obviously faster is better and nuclear rockets would solve a lot of problems, but they are
    not actually necessary.

EDIT: one problem with living underground, as you suggest, which is detailed in the links
    I gave for the above ground Martian Ice house is that the Martian soil contains significant
    concentrations of Perchlorate's... Which are deadly toxic.

One of the design imperatives of the ice house was avoiding contamination of the habitat from
    external threats such as the perchlorate's so far found at every landing site on Mars.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 17:36
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You don't need [although it would help] to move beyond conventional rocket engines to get
    there fast enough.

Obviously faster is better and nuclear rockets would solve a lot of problems, but they are
    not actually necessary.

EDIT: one problem with living underground, as you suggest, which is detailed in the links
    I gave for the above ground ...[text shortened]... at from
    external threats such as the perchlorate's so far found at every landing site on Mars.
    So much for going to Mars.

I hear the moon is nice this time of year.......
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 21:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    So much for going to Mars.

I hear the moon is nice this time of year.......
    Nothing I said makes going to Mars non-viable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree