1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 00:301 edit
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090423132559.htm

New safer method of producing functionally identical to embryonic cells without the use of added genetic material.
  2. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 03:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090423132559.htm

New safer method of producing functionally identical to embryonic cells without the use of added genetic material.
    This is very exciting. I wonder how many out there will categorically protest
    this research without even understanding it or reading about it because of
    past ethical concerns. "Stem cell" still has such a negative connotation to
    a frighteningly large section of the population. But it's usually because they
    don't read the information themselves -- they just listen to what someone
    else tells them to believe. Don't know if there's a way to fix that. 🙁
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 06:34
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    Don't know if there's a way to fix that. 🙁
    Kill all the stupid people?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 07:23
    Don't know if there's a way to fix that. 🙁
    Its easy. Change the name. Call them 'base cells' or 'undifferentiated cells'. The real question is where and why does it matter that people have a negative attitude towards stem cells. I would guess the answer is politically related funding. So for any projects needing government funding simply keep the name 'stem cell' out of the title.
  5. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 09:19
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Kill all the stupid people?
    yes
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 09:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its easy. Change the name. Call them 'base cells' or 'undifferentiated cells'. The real question is where and why does it matter that people have a negative attitude towards stem cells. I would guess the answer is politically related funding. So for any projects needing government funding simply keep the name 'stem cell' out of the title.
    Yes; that would work -or you could kill all stupid people.
  7. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 18:52
    I'm with killing the stupid people, because if we change the name, then some stupid, manipulative religious leader will go and say something like: "that is the devil's work, trying to play God. Instead of using stem cells, they now using the (different name) cells".

You see, they won't even notice that it's a different name for the same thing, they will anyway criticize and try to stop anything that's meant to improve our lives.
  8. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 18:58
    I wonder if when the stupid people are being killed the anti-stem cell leaders will begin to ask if stem cells can raise their followers from the dead?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 21:02
    Why are there anti-stemitism at all?
    Because it all stem from genetics?
  10. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 21:451 edit
    Because earlier research used embryonic stem cells. And for these people embryos = right to
    life, etc., and it was therefore unethical to "use" embryonic cells for scientific purposes. I'm sure
    some are against it because of genetic engineering, but, generally speaking, it is because of this
    prior association with embryonic cells.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Apr '09 01:27
    Because earlier research used embryonic stem cells. And for these people embryos = right to
    life, etc., and it was therefore unethical to "use" embryonic cells for scientific purposes. I'm sure
    some are against it because of genetic engineering, but, generally speaking, it is because of this
    prior association with embryonic cells.
    And of course the 'embryo's' they would have been using was from stillborns and such, but it was indirect fear that Dr. Mengala types would deliberately harvest live embryo's in an embryonic journey to create a super-race, all carefully orchestrated by the religious bible thumpers.
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '09 10:22
    Originally posted by dannyUchiha
    I'm with killing the stupid people, because if we change the name, then some stupid, manipulative religious leader will go and say something like: "that is the devil's work, trying to play God. Instead of using stem cells, they now using the (different name) cells".

You see, they won't even notice that it's a different name for the same thing, they will anyway criticize and try to stop anything that's meant to improve our lives.
    By the way, I was joking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree